Team to meet the Saints. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Team to meet the Saints.

Barnzy said:
Right....

So he's only 3 disposals a game off being Gary Ablett. :hihi

If I showed you stats at the same stage of their careers they'd be virtually equal.

Of course Gaza is a legend. That's why I pulled up his stats merely to show this meme that Kingy as AFL failure is fantasy.

So he's short and angry - get over it! He has clean hands - straight lines it, never jibs it, kicks left and right foot 50 metres plus, strong core which keeps him in most contests - fearless - has footy smarts and competitiveness.

He's certainly no Gazza but he aint a dud either. Watch the game a bit closer and you might actually see what you are missing.

King's a lemon. The sooner he's gone the better.

Can you bet on players for BOG? If Farmer or King (or both) take Milne I might put a few bob his way.

lamb22 said:
If I showed you stats at the same stage of their careers they'd be virtually equal.

Of course Gaza is a legend. That's why I pulled up his stats merely to show this meme that Kingy as AFL failure is fantasy.

Yes but your stats are flawed. You're comparing their career averages yet Garry played a lot of his early footy as a small forward and started as an 18 year old. King had the advantage of playing VFL football and starting at the age of 23 in the AFL. If you really want to compare them here is the most relevant link:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1818&tid2=10&pid2=230&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S - 10 disposals avg vs 34 avg, close. ;D

Besides, I don't care about how many disposals King picks up, that's never been my problem with him. It's his disposal/decision making which under pressure and even sometimes under no pressure can be very costly, especially when these days you have to pin point passes through zones and such. Also not to mention his lack of discipline, giving away stupid frees, etc.

So in summary, some flawed comparison to Gary Ablett or some stats on a couple of games of King's back in 2008 won't change my opinion on him that he's just your typical honest battler who is not good enough at AFL level and these types must be moved on if we want to improve. If he has a good game this weekend too I will praise him but it still probably won't change my opinion on him. Just like I can't budge your opinion on King no matter what I say. We will see what the coaching stuff do with him at the end of season when he comes out of contract this year won't we? He's not the worst footballer in the world or even the worst have had *cough JON cough* but he's not good enough and would have to be odds on to get the chop.

I know my little birdies have been on the grog and not coming through with the goods but another little birdie just flew in and said that Griffiths will most likely be a late withdrawal. Yesterday could barely kick off the right leg due to the injury.

Smoking Aces said:
I know my little birdies have been on the grog and not coming through with the goods but another little birdie just flew in and said that Griffiths will most likely be a late withdrawal. Yesterday could barely kick off the right leg due to the injury.

He has two legs, he can use the left one FFS, and he should stop being a softcock!

Barnzy said:
Right....

So he's only 3 disposals a game off being Gary Ablett. :hihi

That difference can be easily explained if you compare their handball receives. GAJr averages 11.4 per game and JK averages 1.1. For some reason, nobody ever handballs to Jakey. Strip out the HBRs and you get a better comparison.

See, stats can be used to back up just about anything.

thejinx said:
That's because he panics and turns the ball over!

I love Kingy's ferocity - but he's scary with the ball.

I think Jinxy - you are a prime example of the King hysteria syndrome. His use of the ball is actually pretty good, something like 85% efficiency from memory.

Historically gets over ambitous from time to time and thats what the goldfish remember.

Seen a lot of him at Coburg, he is an influential player there in large part because of his purposeful and effective use of the ball.

Thought his long kick from the centre square to Nason 15 metres out from goal in the third on Saturday settled some nerves, Jinxy. What was your take on that?

Kingy's kicking technique is ok, he just lets himself down at times with his decision making.
Mat White seems to have benefitted with a new game plan and a good coach, i can see no reason why Kingy can't do the same.
I hope he can, as i like a Stevey Baker type player.
Now that's idea, i wouldn't mind seeing a King, Baker match up tonight ;)

lamb22 said:
I think Jinxy - you are a prime example of the King hysteria syndrome. His use of the ball is actually pretty good, something like 85% efficiency from memory.

Misuse of stats. Eyes say his disposal is pretty ordinary. It's fairly popular opinion. But in a footy team, not everyone needs to have supreme disposal skills. Happy to give King a go if he has earned his spot and playing to team instructions.

GoodOne said:
Misuse of stats. Eyes say his disposal is pretty ordinary. It's fairly popular opinion. But in a footy team, not everyone needs to have supreme disposal skills. Happy to give King a go if he has earned his spot and playing to team instructions.

Yeah well lets look at him tonight together Goody. My eyes say he uses it OK. "Popular opinion " is almost invariably wrong.

His errors are decision errors usually being too adventurous. His skills set by hand and foot is pretty good IMO.

GoodOne said:

Thats about the crux of it. If King can shutdown opponents like he did with Pearce and Rodan last week, then what more can we ask ? A goal or two? no turnovers? Wonder how Stevie Baker is recieved by the saints fans, he is one player that also has a poor kick.

king has been good the last few weeks..pearce and rohdan both clearly beaten by him..cant see why he wouldnt go to milne,as that^%$ is a real danger.....

geee id feel better with morton in the foward line..cant we fit him in and drop, say tambling,who was okay in the last quater last week i must admit

arlobill said:
geee id feel better with morton in the foward line..cant we fit him in and drop, say tambling,who was okay in the last quater last week i must admit

Apparently the rumour mill is saying a late change of Griff out and Morton in