Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

evo said:
SCOOP said:
The Clayton Myth, yeah good points.

I agree Farren Ray gets away with murder, seriously under delivered. Same with Tom Williams. But us diverting the blame from Tambling to others does not cover up the fact that he needs to take the step.
I think most would agree with that Scoop.I'm not really interested in diverting blame away from our players myself,just thought it was worth pointing out as a bit of a side issue.

Most would agree Tambling has a fair bit of work to 'round out' his game.

We live in hope.

Hope is a good thing, the best of things.

Good side issue, I like the way PRE topics drift and go away from the key issue but raise points that are realted.

Egan is a DUD, his disposal is Richmond like.

The problem of being a top 4 side is that exposure to the media is larger.

SCOOP said:
I find this interesting Disco.

No where did I mention Franklin or infer that Tambling should be equaling Franklins output.

Yeah, but when you posted this

SCOOP said:
So what, he just singles out poor Richard?

you seemed like you needed the situation spelled out for you, especially considering the remark we were discussing was prefaced by one of the other commentators with the usual quoting of the 2004 draft order.

SCOOP said:
Richard Tambling needs to lift. Simple.

Why be so absolute about it? Why not highlight the excellent chase down tackle he made at one point against Brisbane, or praise him for stepping up with a couple of crucial goals when they were needed. Yes it would be great to see him doing more on a regular basis but given the forward pocket role he's been playing his contributions have been far from unacceptable. There's literally only a handful of guys from the same draft out performing him right now and I'd say Tambling has more improvement in him than most.

It seems obvious to me that he doesn't have the fitness (as benny says) yet to be able to play his natural game, which of course was as an inside midfielder as a junior. IMO once he reaches the level required to play that role in the AFL then he'll look a completely different player and that makes much of what he does at this stage somewhat irrelevant. In fact I think it's pretty encouraging that he's been able to show a steady improvement through his first couple of years despite playing a role that doesn't really suit him.

Disco08 said:
...Why not highlight the excellent chase down tackle he made at one point against Brisbane...

Agreed, that was a top chase and tackle. Despite my comments in the past I stood and applauded a fantastic effort!

Turbo Tiger said:
Agreed, that was a top chase and tackle. Despite my comments in the past I stood and applauded a fantastic effort!

It's nice when an opposition supporter can appreciate the good work of one of our players.

Missing33 said:
It's nice when an opposition supporter can appreciate the good work of one of our players.

Give it up, it is getting tired....

Disco08 said:
It seems obvious to me that he doesn't have the fitness (as benny says) yet to be able to play his natural game, which of course was as an inside midfielder as a junior. IMO once he reaches the level required to play that role in the AFL then he'll look a completely different player and that makes much of what he does at this stage somewhat irrelevant.

Fitness isn't the main issue that will hinder his ability in close Disco.

It's in his head that the major imrpovement is going to needed. Unfortunately this is a far harder area to 'lift" than his fitness over a few pre-seasons.

Richie is still playing "scared" & rarely if ever puts his head over the ball without having a sideways glance around to see whats coming. This then puts himself under pressure & creates the lack of composure & fumbles that we regularly see.

The last minute or so of the game on the weekend was a glaring example of this. When the ball was punched down to him 30 or so mtrs from goal. Most players would grab the ball & try to offload a quick kick towards goal, which he had time to do but would have inevitably copped a late hit & bit the turf. Instead his instinct was take his eyes off the ball & see what was coming. Result was an inevitable fumble & gone is the chance to cover himself in glory & earn the respect of his teammates.

Unfortunately this is an ongoing occurence.

Leysy Days said:
The last minute or so of the game on the weekend was a glaring example of this. When the ball was punched down to him 30 or so mtrs from goal. Most players would grab the ball & try to offload a quick kick towards goal, which he had time to do but would have inevitably copped a late hit & bit the turf. Instead his instinct was take his eyes off the ball & see what was coming. Result was an inevitable fumble & gone is the chance to cover himself in glory & earn the respect of his teammates.

Considering he's taken two head high hits that have cleaned him up in the past 6 weeks, it doesn't surprise me that he may be a little cautious at the moment. The fact in both of those occasions he put his head over the ball proves that you're talking out of your ass.

ZeroGame said:
Leysy Days said:

Considering he's taken two head high hits that have cleaned him up in the past 6 weeks, it doesn't surprise me that he may be a little cautious at the moment. The fact in both of those occasions he put his head over the ball proves that you're talking out of your ass.

Still struggling with the shoulder too . I believe he had a one CM tear which is (hopefully) mending- has been struggling to take marks above the head since then whereas very sticky fingered first few rounds

ZeroGame said:
Leysy Days said:

Thanks for your reply that proves absolutely nothing.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this for now leysy. I honestly don't think he has a problem with putting his body on the line. I think that's one area where he's improved this year.

i dont think he commits himself as many times as he should but more than what he used to

Disco08 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this for now leysy. I honestly don't think he has a problem with putting his body on the line. I think that's one area where he's improved this year.

Totally agree Disco. Ritchie IS taking the hard hits this season.

RT hasn't been too bad overall this year but I have to admit I've expected more from him, perhaps unfairly given how many others are traveling poorly.

I think if anything Tambling's weakest area this season has been his lack of vision. :-\

There was an incident last week in the last quarter against the Bombers that highlighted this.
Richie went for an inverted banana snap goal that went nowhere, instead of giving off the simple handball to a wide open Edwards running past. That piece of play brought groans from Michael Voss in commentary and I have to admit I found it pretty disconcerting as well. It could have sealed the game for us.
Hopefully some of these flaws improve with confidence and experience.
He's still got a fair road to travel before he's a good player for us.

TOO, dont think it was lack of vision, more selfish play - saw Edwards but went himself - the half hearted attempt itself was probably acknowledgement by Richie that he did the wrong thing. Dont buy into the hawk troll arguments. Richie has that ability to spot people in good positions downfield. He'll get there in the end. Patience grasshoppers!

I'd just like to see him chase...........
Did it once last week and earned a free kick.
If you can't get the ball and your quick you should be putting pressure on the oposition ball carriers.

lamb22 said:
TOO, dont think it was lack of vision, more selfish play - saw Edwards but went himself - the half hearted attempt itself was probably acknowledgment by Richie that he did the wrong thing.

Selfish play? Perhaps but he had the 'Blingkers' on for sure.
Edwards was a mile in the open. I find it hard to believe that he saw him and didn't give it off.
Either way it was poor.

I too think Tambling will get there. Just how good he will be is the question.
He's certainly proving better value than Roughead & even Griffen ATM.
Meyer is the one I am far more concerned about from the 2004 draft.

Tigers of Old said:

Got a problem with a guy who kicks helicopters that go further up in the air than towards his targets? Interesting...

Tigers of Old said:
lamb22 said:
TOO, dont think it was lack of vision, more selfish play - saw Edwards but went himself - the half hearted attempt itself was probably acknowledgment by Richie that he did the wrong thing.

Selfish play? Perhaps but he had the 'Blingkers' on for sure.
Edwards was a mile in the open. I find it hard to believe that he saw him and didn't give it off.
Either way it was poor.

I too think Tambling will get there. Just how good he will be is the question.
He's certainly proving better value than Roughead & even Griffen ATM.

I'm with you Tigers-of-Old.
I think Richie will be fine, in the long run.

I feel sorry for Meyer a bit, to be honest.
I know this isn't the "Danny Meyer Thread", but I feel Wallace plays him out of position.
He isn't big enough to take contested marks, and isn't a natural crumber to feed of marks dropped by Richo/Schulz,etc.
In his first few games a couple of years back, he was one of the very few players in the team at that stage, who seemed to have an accurate kick into the forward-line, and seemed to enjoy getting out into space, not restricted to having his back to goal and relying on crumbs, or others kicking the ball to him.