Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

SCOOP said:
Gerald Healy put it best, watched the replay and he said ;

"The club doesn't owe Richard Tambling anything, the time has come for him to begin to repay the faith that Richmond have showed in him".

I heard that comment. What a joke. Expert commentary my butt.

Disco08 said:
SCOOP said:
Gerald Healy put it best, watched the replay and he said ;

"The club doesn't owe Richard Tambling anything, the time has come for him to begin to repay the faith that Richmond have showed in him".

I heard that comment. What a joke. Expert commentary my butt.

Why is it a joke?

I think Tambling is going just Ok, to ask him to step up a couple of levels is not a sin or something we should shy away from. Healy is right, Richard Tambling needs to get more involved. We should expect more from him then he is currently producing. The level of protection and acceptance of just being OK is very high at the minute.

For the record...

2004 AFL national draft list... Highlighted players yet to have really established themselves IMO.

1. Richmond: Brett Deledio (Murray Bushrangers)
2. Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (Gippsland Power)
3. Western Bulldogs: Ryan Griffen (South Adelaide)
4. Richmond: Richard Tambling (Southern Districts)
5. Hawthorn: Lance Franklin (Perth)
6. Western Bulldogs: Tom Williams (Morningside)
7. Hawthorn: Jordan Lewis (Geelong Falcons)
8. Adelaide: John Meesen (Geelong Falcons)
9. Carlton: Jordan Russell (West Adelaide)
10. Collingwood: Christopher Egan (Murray Bushrangers)
11. Port Adelaide: Adam Thomson (Sturt)
12. Richmond: Danny Meyer (Glenelg)
13. Melbourne: Matthew Bate (Eastern Ranges)
14. Essendon: Angus Monfries (Sturt)
15. Melbourne: Lynden Dunn (Calder Cannons)

He's performing just fine according to that list thank you very much... OK there's the whole 'Buddy' thing but aside from that no recruiter would have selected Lewis, Bate, Monfries or Dunn as a top 5 pick and I'd still prefer Richie to any of those three. In fact 'Buddy' was like picking from a lucky dip in that you couldn't say for sure what you were going to get. Hawks got lucky as do a couple of clubs every year.

taraba said:
For the record...

2004 AFL national draft list... Highlighted players yet to have really established themselves IMO.

1. Richmond: Brett Deledio (Murray Bushrangers)
2. Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (Gippsland Power)
3. Western Bulldogs: Ryan Griffen (South Adelaide)
4. Richmond: Richard Tambling (Southern Districts)
5. Hawthorn: Lance Franklin (Perth)
6. Western Bulldogs: Tom Williams (Morningside)
7. Hawthorn: Jordan Lewis (Geelong Falcons)
8. Adelaide: John Meesen (Geelong Falcons)
9. Carlton: Jordan Russell (West Adelaide)
10. Collingwood: Christopher Egan (Murray Bushrangers)
11. Port Adelaide: Adam Thomson (Sturt)
12. Richmond: Danny Meyer (Glenelg)
13. Melbourne: Matthew Bate (Eastern Ranges)
14. Essendon: Angus Monfries (Sturt)
15. Melbourne: Lynden Dunn (Calder Cannons)

He's performing just fine according to that list thank you very much... OK there's the whole 'Buddy' thing but aside from that no recruiter would have selected Lewis, Bate, Monfries or Dunn as a top 5 pick and I'd still prefer Richie to any of those three. In fact 'Buddy' was like picking from a lucky dip in that you couldn't say for sure what you were going to get. Hawks got lucky as do a couple of clubs every year.

I guess we are expecting more from Bling, ala Davey style.
I think the best position for him is crumbing forward, with relief work in midfield.
I am willing enough to give him time, he is certainly not our worse performer.

I am awaiting to hear how Miller stuffed up signing this kid, but back in 2004, this kid was very much highly rated and many posters would have bagged us if we didnt get him.

SCOOP said:
Why is it a joke?

I think Tambling is going just Ok, to ask him to step up a couple of levels is not a sin or something we should shy away from. Healy is right, Richard Tambling needs to get more involved. We should expect more from him then he is currently producing. The level of protection and acceptance of just being OK is very high at the minute.

It's a joke because there's ten (or more) examples on every team's list of players that didn't do as much as Tambling has in their first two and a half years yet are fantastic players now. Do you ever hear Healy ever making similar statements about Col Sylvia? Farren Ray? Andrew Walker? Kepler Bradley? Jarrad McVeigh? Andrew Mackie? Xavier Clarke?

Disco08 said:
SCOOP said:
Why is it a joke?

It's a joke because there's ten (or more) examples on every team's list of players that didn't do as much as Tambling has in their first two and a half years yet are fantastic players now. Do you ever hear Healy ever making similar statements about Col Sylvia? Farren Ray? Andrew Walker? Kepler Bradley? Jarrad McVeigh? Andrew Mackie? Xavier Clarke?

So what, he just singles out poor Richard?

Tambling can't have his name mentioned anywhere without it also being mentioned that Frnaklin went with the pick after him, and the assumption is that because Buddy is doing so well, Tambling should be doing equally well to justify Richmond using their pick on him, which is of course flawed logic and an absolutely ludicrous thing for an expert commentator to say.

Its called Judd-itis. Ever since Judd, everyone is disappointed if a top 5 pick is not an absolute gun in 3 months. Patience has evaporated, and we need to remember kids develop at different rates.

Good call on Col Sylvia. He was what we would all call a "dud" early on, but look at him now

Disco08 said:
Tambling can't have his name mentioned anywhere without it also being mentioned that Frnaklin went with the pick after him, and the assumption is that because Buddy is doing so well, Tambling should be doing equally well to justify Richmond using their pick on him, which is of course flawed logic and an absolutely ludicrous thing for an expert commentator to say.

It is a pity Tom Williams didn't go with the pick after with Buddy after him. Imagine the flak poor old Tommy would be copping(though I reckon the Doggies get a better ride from the press).

Disco08 said:

I find this interesting Disco.

No where did I mention Franklin or infer that Tambling should be equaling Franklins output. I have no issue with us taking Tambling, that was a given and is not a issue in my book. I merely mentioned that as a high draft pick I expect a larger output from him. The Franklin debate is becoming a reverse crutch for people to lean on to stick up for Tambling. He needs to lift, not saying he won't make it or we should have taken someone else or saying it is Ok because other high draft picks are under achieving.
Richard Tambling needs to lift. Simple.

Duckman has a pretty good point in regards to Farren Ray.Geeze that guy gets off cheaply.

It's about time the Clarke Brothers came under a bit of heat too.

Xav was pick 4 or 5 from memory and Raph was pick 8(?)

Not to mention Egan at Collingwood.Wonder if there's a 80 page thread on him somewhere? ;D

evo said:
Duckman has a pretty good point in regards to Farren Ray.Geeze that guy gets off cheaply.

It is the Doggies thing I tell ya. Anyone drafted by thge Doggies is excused. The drafting of Tom Williams at 6 would have to be one of the biggest blunders in recent drafting times but is rarely mentioned - even with Jordan Lewis looking the goods and taken at 7.

evo said:

It's about time the Clarke Brothers came under a bit of heat too.

Xav was pick 4 or 5 from memory and Raph was pick 8(?)

Not to mention Egan at Collingwood.Wonder if there's a 80 page thread on him somewhere? ;D

on the subject of the doggies

griffin has been shizenhouzen this year, will be lucky not to be dropped this week.

I like your tireless work in exploding the "clayton myth' Jimbob.

The Clayton Myth, yeah good points.

I agree Farren Ray gets away with murder, seriously under delivered. Same with Tom Williams. But us diverting the blame from Tambling to others does not cover up the fact that he needs to take the step.

evo said:
I like your tireless work in exploding the "clayton myth' Jimbob.

;D Thanks evo. I know it particular irks Redders who has posters of him on his walls.

SCOOP said:
The Clayton Myth, yeah good points.

I agree Farren Ray gets away with murder, seriously under delivered. Same with Tom Williams. But us diverting the blame from Tambling to others does not cover up the fact that he needs to take the step.
I think most would agree with that Scoop.I'm not really interested in diverting blame away from our players myself,just thought it was worth pointing out as a bit of a side issue.

Most would agree Tambling has a fair bit of work to 'round out' his game.

We live in hope.

Tambling should be played in the fwd pocket, he has the speed to chase down rebounding backmen
He should be given a tape of the Davey brothers and told to chase everything until he is worn out, then rest and come back on again

Krakour out Tambling in his place