Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

Tambling just plods through the centre and half back while guys with half his pace just stream away from him ball in hand. I nearly put my foot through the laptop in the 1st Q alone. Must be dropped for this reason alone. tell him to lay 15 tackles for Coburg before he'll even be considred again.

why some PREnders so obssesed with judging RT on what THEY think he might be in 2 to 3 years time rather than what he has deliverd so far . Gee he has already had 3 years , we might be up for long service before is nails a 25m short pass lace out !
So far RT has not delivered what has been expected of him and in a normal professional working enviroment , when someone is recruited to an organasation to perform a specific purpose and has constantly shown is is not up to it time and time again then he would be given a DCM ...
Trade and be done with him we cant wait 5 years on the off chance is he might have a consistant year .
May the emus please exhume yourselves and see the light of day !

can we take a big chill pill and ease up on the guy? he is still relatively young, has had limited experience, and has time to reach his potential. he is not another dud in the making (in my opinion), he is just taking a little longer than some. Look at Foley and Newman, guys some were screaming GET AWAY not so long ago who now we consider a key part of our team.

Skills said:
GoodOne said:
Apparently if a youngster doesn't play Judd-like right from the start, he's not up to AFL level.

Why are we so obsessed with bringing names like Judd & Franklin into this constructive discussion of RT?
There's no question Richmond's objective at the 2004 Nat. Draft was to obtain skillful running players for the midfield. After all, TW clearly stated the club was sadly lacking players in this area. At this present moment, nobody expects RT to emulate the heights of Chris Judd, nor do we expect him to hold down CHF. But we cannot deter ourselves away from the fact - after so much deliberation - we had an early choice to select a player that would improve our skills around the ground. And right now, his skills are that far away from improving our overall team skills, it aint that funny.

His skills are fine as is his pace, its his application when we haven't got the ball and his lack of confidence in backing himself when he has the ball that are the problems. He reminds me of Daniel Wells who is really only just starting to play to something like his potential this year. Give him time, at least another year.

Tiger74 said:
can we take a big chill pill and ease up on the guy? he is still relatively young, has had limited experience, and has time to reach his potential. he is not another dud in the making (in my opinion), he is just taking a little longer than some. Look at Foley and Newman, guys some were screaming GET AWAY not so long ago who now we consider a key part of our team.

I don't want to trade the guy, I want him to go down for a week or two and learn a lesson.

He's certainly no dud. His skills and footy smarts are at about the level they should be given his number of games. However he has got the most disgraceful work ethic in the team. Not even close to the hard gut busting running required from a modern midfielder.

Get on your bike Tambling and put a bit of work in!!

Skills said:
bullus_hit said:
Very harsh assessment there Skills, Tambling has improved from last season and that is important in assessing where he'll be in 3 years. Last night he was average but far from the worst player on the ground. You talk about footy smarts yet Tambo milked some good free kicks displaying what I would consider 'footy smarts'.

We could spend an eternity discussing his deficiencies but we could do that with most kids his age. Even the great Buddy Franklin has some question marks over his defensive pressure and and contested marking.

Tambling will blossom but will do so when he's in the 22-23 age bracket, same goes for Lids, Edwards and probably JON (although the latter really does have some major question marks).

As testiment to Tambo's performance this year, let's see how he fares in the best and fairest, I'm tipping a top ten finish and 20 plus goals. Sure, that's not brilliant but at least he's on an upward trend.

My interpretation of "footy smarts" is not about "milking" free kicks, it's about finding the ball and making it sing. Furthermore, I never mentioned Franklin, but without hesitation you choose to defend Tambling by highlighting Buddy's deficiencies - Totally irrelevant to the points I have raised.
Then you choose to make reference to this wonderful equation, that Tambling will blossom because of this magical age bracket when footballers come of age.
And to think that wasn't enough, you finally state, Tambling will finish in the top 10 of Richmonds B&F as a "testiment" to his performances?
My assessment might have been "harsh" as you described, but you - like so many others - deflect from the real problem.

Looks like you've written him off already, sure he's not perfect but few guys his age are, as a matter of fact. Personally, I think he'll improve next year and then the year after - no I won't mention the magical age because that obviously irks you somewhat. One of us will be eating their words in the near future so let's leave it at that.

Triple T - agree on a rest in the magoo's - good to rebuild confidence. Personally though I would like Pet to go down first, but thats just me :cutelaugh

Tiger74 said:
Triple T - agree on a rest in the magoo's - good to rebuild confidence. Personally though I would like Pet to go down first, but thats just me :cutelaugh

I totally agree.
Petiffer is the senior player and he failed to have any influence on the game whatsoever.
9 possessions for zero goals isn't good enough.

Petiffer has not continued on his improved form from the past two seasons under Wallace and has gone backwards a little this season.

If anyone needs a reality check at Coburg, it's Kayne.

This is a post mojo31 put up on another thread which I thought was worth putting here.

mojo31 said:
Getting better. To soft last year. Putting his head over it a bit better now. Starting to get some power in his hips to break a tackle and learn to drive with his legs as this is how you break contact. Its in the trunk muscles and legs.

Learning how to shift his body and slide out of contac as well as continue to keep the legs going as the arms slips so he can then accelerate to break the lines.

Tackling tehnique is a lot better. Stopped staring at the eyes and is getting much lower and going for the hips and locking on. But can still rin forward of the ball more than he needs to and not work hard enough the other way. Watching his lazy attempt at closing down Carrazzo against the Blues who turned him isnide out from 60m and then turned inside and goaled easily whos at times he has a long way to go. Much quicker than Carazzo but did not work hard enough then.

Not able to be any sort of force for much longer than a quater or a half. You can see he still does not have the running power he needs to to play 4 quaters or be a full time midfielder. Still a burst player on the fringes who is learning to play in traffic and play with aggression and how to wear a hit as well as recover from it.

But is making progress. Kicking has been good. Stands out with Deledio at Richmond for young players. Not as penetrative as Lids but is effective and hits the target.

Half forward flank pushing further upfield to lose his opponent. He will slowly learn that the hard running is needed to break his man down. Otherwise he wont get any space. He will be tackled immediately and defenders will be goal side and contact with him at all times. But as he gets more and more klms into his legs the opponennts will struggle to keep doing this and start to lose concerntration when they have to try and match his running power and speed at the end of games and quaters.

Then he will be able to run away from them and break tackles and use his acceleration advantage. But until he can at least compete with them for running power he will get shut down at times.

Tambling also is not able to maintain his speed all game like Lids is able to. Conditioning does not mtch Deledio at this stage. So I see him having a few blindingly good quaters and then going quiet this year.

Show some signs but will need some more pre seasons (about 2) before he can be assessed.

Also playing in a struggling side wont help him in the short term to get easy kicks. But long term will be of benefit to him and give him a rounded apprenticiship and teach him about being more defensive and chasing down players and tackling and blocking and learning how to run smarter and harder. If it was easy for him he might have turned into Ashley Sampi. Another very explosive mercurial type who can sniff a goal out of nothing (when fit) and plays great quaters and then goes missing with poor endurance and work ethic.

But it wont be so he is unlikley to go down that path and instead will be a better rounded player who is going to be much more likely to be able to perform in big games in the future. The Sampi's of the world can look terrific when they are front runners and the team is dominating and its home and away. But when its finals and pressure and you are aginst a Sydney or Adelaide then its a different story and why its very important to have well rounded players who can still be effective when tagged and work through tough times and pressure and little space.

Otherwise you end up with the Travis Johnstone syndrome ( I am a champion in a normal game - untagged) but in finals and big games when tagged I look 1/2 the player.

Tambling may & probably will become a servicable player for us.

However, he has some glaring deficiencies that leysy's afraid cant be taught.

Firstly his vision, Far too often for leysy's liking he is "blinkered" when he has the ball. Richie really doesnt have any foresight to lift his eyes, assess options & deliver effectively.

There were numerous times in the match against essendon when this was obvious. One example was when had the ball 20 mtrs out from goal in the 3rd qtr & had (Edwards I Think) streaming thru begging for a handball which would have almost sealed the game.

Instead of having the awareness for a relatively easy handball to the player he turns into traffic on his preferred foot for some low-percentage checkside. Predictably no-goal is the result.

Other times he had the ball under no pressure on centre-wing with men on everywhere down the ground, instead Richie immediately looks sideways & goes long to the wing, by the time the player had received the ball & looked up, our options up forward are covered.

Another example, that had leysy spewing, was in the 2nd term. Lloyd went long to for goal & Lucas marked right next to the goal post. Now, surely it was plainly evident to anyone that is half-switched on that Lucas is going to run around onto his left as soon as he could. Tambling was easily the closest player, so what does this lazy footballer do, he puts his hands on his hips & starts walking away. A teammate, cant remember who, (maybe Bowden or Newman) runs past Tambling & tries to smother the obvious Lucas run-around & very nearly did.

All the while Richie barely paid a passing glance at Lucas on his way back to the centre.

Along with his lack of chasing, composure & failure to put his head over the ball, Its these types of insipid, lazy, disinterested play that Tambling needs to get out if game if he is to fulfil his ability.

Leysy dont know if he can.

Leysy Days said:
Another example, that had leysy spewing, was in the 2nd term. Lloyd went long to for goal & Lucas marked right next to the goal post. Now, surely it was plainly evident to anyone that is half-switched on that Lucas is going to run around onto his left as soon as he could. Tambling was easily the closest player, so what does this lazy footballer do, he puts his hands on his hips & starts walking away. A teammate, cant remember who, (maybe Bowden or Newman) runs past

That was Bowden

Rockster said:
why some PREnders so obssesed with judging RT on what THEY think he might be in 2 to 3 years time rather than what he has deliverd so far . Gee he has already had 3 years , we might be up for long service before is nails a 25m short pass lace out !
So far RT has not delivered what has been expected of him and in a normal professional working enviroment , when someone is recruited to an organasation to perform a specific purpose and has constantly shown is is not up to it time and time again then he would be given a DCM ...
Trade and be done with him we cant wait 5 years on the off chance is he might have a consistant year .
May the emus please exhume yourselves and see the light of day !

Yes let's trade the 40 game veteran. Ship up or shape out. Imagine if we took this philosophy for every 17 yo new recruit. After 40 games, havent performed up to the required level of a 200 gamer, ship em out. We'd have a team consisting of Deledio and ..... yep that's it.....and even some were calling for Deledio's head after his bad game a few weeks ago.

Wonder how we'd perform with a team of no-one. Might have only lost Geelong game by 100.

GoodOne said:
Wonder how we'd perform with a team of no-one. Might have only lost Geelong game by 100.

If none had played scared and given 100% of their mental and physical capability then they would have won.

I reckon now is about the perfect time for TW to shift Tambling to the HBF in an attacking role.

Blight did similar with Macleod in his third season and he absolutely blossomed there.
I think Bling would really benefit from have the ball come to him for a few weeks.

Get rid of Tambling.....gees ive heard it all now

Why the hell would we do this? Because this 20yr old sometimes looks lazy?.....because he didnt lay a tackle when he shouldve?.......because Franklin is playing better?....because he isnt as good as Judd was at that age??....i mean whats the logic behind this talk?

Im dumbfounded. Richie is one hell of a talented footballer. Yep he can be lazy and sometimes doesnt do everything we all would like. But he is 20...he is Indigenous....he has played 30/40 games....and he is carrying a fair load of pressure aswell!

Is this the same guy who kicked 4 goals in a blistering first quater against the reigning premiers a cpl of weeks back? Why people continually whip Tambling ahead of players like Tuck, Sugar, Hyde, Pettifer, Tivendale (well maybe not)....give the kid a break...im willing to give him another 2yrs at least before i make a decision on if he is any good.

He shows signs of being brilliant...but he also lacks some basics. Yes i think he should spend some time in the 2's....but bagging him is ridiculous...Just remeber players like McLeod, Lovett, Davey, Pickett, Long etc...took years to come on as footballers...lets just leave this one alone for the time being and wait till he has some strong bodied talented players around him before we dispatch him.

tha8ball said:
Get rid of Tambling.....gees ive heard it all now

Why the hell would we do this? Because this 20yr old sometimes looks lazy?.....because he didnt lay a tackle when he shouldve?.......because Franklin is playing better?....because he isnt as good as Judd was at that age??....i mean whats the logic behind this talk?

Im dumbfounded. Richie is one hell of a talented footballer. Yep he can be lazy and sometimes doesnt do everything we all would like. But he is 20...he is Indigenous....he has played 30/40 games....and he is carrying a fair load of pressure aswell!

Is this the same guy who kicked 4 goals in a blistering first quater against the reigning premiers a cpl of weeks back? Why people continually whip Tambling ahead of players like Tuck, Sugar, Hyde, Pettifer, Tivendale (well maybe not)....give the kid a break...im willing to give him another 2yrs at least before i make a decision on if he is any good.

He shows signs of being brilliant...but he also lacks some basics. Yes i think he should spend some time in the 2's....but bagging him is ridiculous...Just remeber players like McLeod, Lovett, Davey, Pickett, Long etc...took years to come on as footballers...lets just leave this one alone for the time being.

That's gets a big HERE HERE from me 8ty.

tha8ball said:
Richie is one hell of a talented footballer.

But he has no vision, and I don't think you can teach a player that.

At the moment he is worth little, but that is besides the point. All players should be considered for trade. There is nothing wrong with that. West Coast would trade Judd for the right offer, we should never have a closed mind to improving our list via trades. Nathan Brown was a 50 time better player than Bling will evber be, but Footscray traded him, because they were happy with the offer.

If we did trade Bling I wouldn't expect too much back. At this stage we would be very lucky to get a high third round pick...

Turbo Tiger said:
If we did trade Bling I wouldn't expect too much back. At this stage we would be very lucky to get a high third round pick...

So whatcha reckon, should we go for a low-third, high fourth round. Or do you think we could get really lucky and get that high third rounder?