Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

structures said:
Rockster said:
you guys can defend this guy till the cows come home from i saw tonight tambling is so soft he gives marshmellows a bad name , its easy to sit around the outskirts waiting for the easy ball , what about commiting the body , putting the body on the line when it matters ... i suppose no guts no glory .
on tonight's game weak as *smile*

C'mon "Structures", Get off the Fence and tell us what you Really think.

Short and to the Point.................I like that !!!! HAHAHAHA..........

Needs a LONG spell at coburg to work on his game needs to use his "explosive" pace more. To me he looks lazy just seems to jog around and never chases opponets out of the forward line. I remember before we drafted him some recruiting scout was saying he is possibly the fastest player he had ever seen. From what ive seen this is far from the truth. I hope he is just a late bloomer like the davey boys

structures said:
on tonight's game weak as *smile*

The truth about Richie is starting to creep in, he went walkabout in last night's game.

The truth always sticks to the wall.

Now, all we need is Rockster's comments.

Look once the emu lifts its head from beneath the sand it will realise and finally acknowledge that this fellow is soooo overrated , soooo lacking in everything an elite AFL footballer should possess that currenty he can only be described as an average suburban footballer at best !
Then again he might struggle for a game in some suburban teams !

Whilst disappointing of late, I'd be dropping Petiffer, Meyer & Krakouer before I'd even consider sending Tambling to Coburg.

You talk about passengers..

One day Tambling will make many of you eat your words. Tambling was nowhere near as bad as some of you are making out. Made a terrible decision when tried that weird banana shot for goal, hopefully he lerans from that, but other than that thought he was reasonably serviceable. Don't expect too much, too quickly.

If he could use his speed to run down players instead of jogging at half pace behind, then I think he could be a great player. IMO he is afraid of getting hurt, and doesn't have the confidence in his body.
Also the constant comparisons to Franklin, must be weighing on his mind.

Time to stand up and show everyone you want it Blinga!!

GoodOne said:
One day Tambling will make many of you eat your words. Tambling was nowhere near as bad as some of you are making out. Made a terrible decision when tried that weird banana shot for goal, hopefully he lerans from that, but other than that thought he was reasonably serviceable. Don't expect too much, too quickly.

Totally agree Goodies. Tambling is unfairly targetted by some here.
Even if he never if he never lives upto his high draft choice he will still be a more than serviceable player in our 22.
There are many easier targets out there than young Ritchie.

He is already a better footballer than Krak has ever been. Plenty to go before Tambling, at least there is something to work with.

Got to say Tamblings game last night was again dissapointing. But then again, this doesn't surprise me. After just 1/2 doz. games in his career, it didn't take me long to realise that this fella has a number of flaws in his game - unfortunately our game today - makes no allowances for this.
His decision making is poor - largely attributed to hesitation. He continously fumbles at crucial moments - a result of showing nerves with players around him.
He consistently "butchers" the ball. His field kicking up & down the ground either falls short, or is too high. When he is forced to centre the ball across the ground, he struggles to hit targets.
He rarely displays any skill on his left side - this might sound unfair - perhaps we recruited a guy who displayed sublime skills using one side of the body.

Putting all this into context, Richard Tambling unfortunately struggles with two significant styles of the modern game; In contested footy, he shows the lack of ability to go in and win his own footy - hesitation, nerves and fumbling contribute to this part of his game.  With possession footy, his kicking & decison making skills are not up to standard.

With all this said and after three years in the system, I continously struggle to comprehend how (a) we have provided an extended 3 year contract (b) justify his slow start to AFL with unrelated football matters pertaining to indeginous culture and (c) how many boxes did the RFC tick at under 18 level?

I've always said, there are no 'luke-warm' Aboriginal footballers and Richard Tambling should not be an exception.

What really dissapointed me about Tambling last night was when he coughed up the ball in the dying minutes of the game you would think his next reaction would be to make up for it.Bombers going down the wing and i see Tambling Jogging through the centre.
And this is the problem with the club in general.Would he have got away with it at West coast,Sydney etc?

Skills said:
Got to say Tamblings game last night was again dissapointing. But then again, this doesn't surprise me. After just 1/2 doz. games in his career, it didn't take me long to realise that this fella has a number of flaws in his game - unfortunately our game today - makes no allowances for this.
His decision making is poor - largely attributed to hesitation. He continously fumbles at crucial moments - a result of showing nerves with players around him.
He consistently "butchers" the ball. His field kicking up & down the ground either falls short, or is too high. When he is forced to centre the ball across the ground, he struggles to hit targets.
He rarely displays any skill on his left side - this might sound unfair - perhaps we recruited a guy who displayed sublime skills using one side of the body.

Putting all this into context, Richard Tambling unfortunately struggles with two significant styles of the modern game; In contested footy, he shows the lack of ability to go in and win his own footy - hesitation, nerves and fumbling contribute to this part of his game. With possession footy, his kicking & decison making skills are not up to standard.

With all this said and after three years in the system, I continously struggle to comprehend how (a) we have provided an extended 3 year contract (b) justify his slow start to AFL with unrelated football matters pertaining to indeginous culture and (c) how many boxes did the RFC tick at under 18 level?

I've always said, there are no 'luke-warm' Aboriginal footballers and Richard Tambling should not be an exception.

Very harsh assessment there Skills, Tambling has improved from last season and that is important in assessing where he'll be in 3 years. Last night he was average but far from the worst player on the ground. You talk about footy smarts yet Tambo milked some good free kicks displaying what I would consider 'footy smarts'.

We could spend an eternity discussing his deficiencies but we could do that with most kids his age. Even the great Buddy Franklin has some question marks over his defensive pressure and and contested marking.

Tambling will blossom but will do so when he's in the 22-23 age bracket, same goes for Lids, Edwards and probably JON (although the latter really does have some major question marks).

As testiment to Tambo's performance this year, let's see how he fares in the best and fairest, I'm tipping a top ten finish and 20 plus goals. Sure, that's not brilliant but at least he's on an upward trend.

GoodOne said:

Dont expect too much, too quickly?
Can I have a timeframe of when I can consider him too oficially be to scared & have no impact on a game? Wasted #4 pick.

Disco Stu said:
GoodOne said:

Dont expect too much, too quickly?
Can I have a timeframe of when I can consider him too oficially be to scared & have no impact on a game? Wasted #4 pick.

Disco, Tambling's form this year has been reasonably solid, one or two quiet weeks and the knives are out. If you want to talk about wasted draft picks it would be more pertinent to discuss pick 12 2004 or pick 8 2005.