Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

bullus_hit said:
Disco Stu said:
GoodOne said:
One day Tambling will make many of you eat your words. Tambling was nowhere near as bad as some of you are making out. Made a terrible decision when tried that weird banana shot for goal, hopefully he lerans from that, but other than that thought he was reasonably serviceable. Don't expect too much, too quickly.

Dont expect too much, too quickly?
Can I have a timeframe of when I can consider him too oficially be to scared & have no impact on a game? Wasted #4 pick.

Disco, Tambling's form this year has been reasonably solid, one or two quiet weeks and the knives are out. If you want to talk about wasted draft picks it would be more pertinent to discuss pick 12 2004 or pick 8 2005.
Agree with that. While Tambling has alarmingly poor traits defensively, he will eventually be a serviceable solid player at least. Cannot say the same about the other two who you mention who to me appear to be delisted or traded prior to playing 30 games with the RFC.

bullus_hit said:
Very harsh assessment there Skills, Tambling has improved from last season and that is important in assessing where he'll be in 3 years. Last night he was average but far from the worst player on the ground. You talk about footy smarts yet Tambo milked some good free kicks displaying what I would consider 'footy smarts'.

We could spend an eternity discussing his deficiencies but we could do that with most kids his age. Even the great Buddy Franklin has some question marks over his defensive pressure and and contested marking.

Tambling will blossom but will do so when he's in the 22-23 age bracket, same goes for Lids, Edwards and probably JON (although the latter really does have some major question marks).

As testiment to Tambo's performance this year, let's see how he fares in the best and fairest, I'm tipping a top ten finish and 20 plus goals. Sure, that's not brilliant but at least he's on an upward trend.

My interpretation of "footy smarts" is not about "milking" free kicks, it's about finding the ball and making it sing. Furthermore, I never mentioned Franklin, but without hesitation you choose to defend Tambling by highlighting Buddy's deficiencies - Totally irrelevant to the points I have raised.
Then you choose to make reference to this wonderful equation, that Tambling will blossom because of this magical age bracket when footballers come of age.
And to think that wasn't enough, you finally state, Tambling will finish in the top 10 of Richmonds B&F as a "testiment" to his performances?
My assessment might have been "harsh" as you described, but you - like so many others - deflect from the real problem.

Disco Stu said:
Dont expect too much, too quickly?
Can I have a timeframe of when I can consider him too oficially be to scared & have no impact on a game? Wasted #4 pick.

So tell me what are you expecting? Tambling actually out of his 16 possessions last night managed 6 hardball gets, the most in the whole team percentage-wise. The fact that he only spent 59% game time on the ground, begs me to ask why is everyone so harsh on the guy. Missed most of the first year through injury, so is basically a second year player. I can't understand the mentality of some of you. Apparently if a youngster doesn't play Judd-like right from the start, he's not up to AFL level. What a crock. Few weeks ago some of you were even starting to talk down Deledio. Fair-weather supporters.

Skills said:
Got to say Tamblings game last night was again dissapointing. But then again, this doesn't surprise me. After just 1/2 doz. games in his career, it didn't take me long to realise that this fella has a number of flaws in his game - unfortunately our game today - makes no allowances for this.
His decision making is poor - largely attributed to hesitation. He continously fumbles at crucial moments - a result of showing nerves with players around him.
He consistently "butchers" the ball. His field kicking up & down the ground either falls short, or is too high. When he is forced to centre the ball across the ground, he struggles to hit targets.
He rarely displays any skill on his left side - this might sound unfair - perhaps we recruited a guy who displayed sublime skills using one side of the body.

Putting all this into context, Richard Tambling unfortunately struggles with two significant styles of the modern game; In contested footy, he shows the lack of ability to go in and win his own footy - hesitation, nerves and fumbling contribute to this part of his game. With possession footy, his kicking & decison making skills are not up to standard.

With all this said and after three years in the system, I continously struggle to comprehend how (a) we have provided an extended 3 year contract (b) justify his slow start to AFL with unrelated football matters pertaining to indeginous culture and (c) how many boxes did the RFC tick at under 18 level?

I've always said, there are no 'luke-warm' Aboriginal footballers and Richard Tambling should not be an exception.

Very good post Skills.

By 2009, I know I won't be stuck at The Alamo fighting for Tambling.

(Are you still jamming at The Espie?).

I agree with most of Skills assesment.

Tambling is clouded with fear and uncertainty with his footy and its clearly hampering his game.

In the 3 games i've seen Shane Edwards play, ive already seen more to be enthused about than the 3 years of Bling.

Bling needs to impose himself on the game with a far greater workrate and ferocity at the contest if he is going to blossom into the player we hoped he would become when he was drafted.

Look at the long sleeve jumper, there is definite pain and extreme taping to one of his shoulders. He is not taking any mark over his head, everything is on the chest or in the hands.

Then if he is hurt and Definently injured then why are we playing him? dosent make much scence to me. Put in One of the new kids or something we cant say oh hes injured, then dont play him.

geoffryprettyboy said:
OK then we'll use the 'injured' excuse for a while then. ::)

Not a excuse from me, the boy needs to lift, a lot, but I won't cut him off at the knees at the minute becuase clearly he is carrying something.

Needs to be given time out, we are not palying for anything right now.

tannerztigers said:
Then if he is hurt and Definently injured then why are we playing him? dosent make much scence to me. Put in One of the new kids or something we cant say oh hes injured, then dont play him.

Don't worry tannerz, Richie isn't that injured not to play. Most players would carry some sort of niggle.

If Richard's shoulder wasn't up to scratch then he wouldn't be playing.

Then we cant really say oh he isnt playing good because of an injury. If he is only playing at 75% get him at 100% whatever it takes i say.

Tigers of Old said:
Whilst disappointing of late, I'd be dropping Petiffer, Meyer & Krakouer before I'd even consider sending Tambling to Coburg.

You talk about passengers..

Yes agreed but this thread is about ritchie. Pettifer must be traded this year. He's not gonna improve any more I feel.

GoodOne said:
So tell me what are you expecting? Tambling actually out of his 16 possessions last night managed 6 hardball gets, the most in the whole team percentage-wise. The fact that he only spent 59% game time on the ground, begs me to ask why is everyone so harsh on the guy. Missed most of the first year through injury, so is basically a second year player. I can't understand the mentality of some of you. Apparently if a youngster doesn't play Judd-like right from the start, he's not up to AFL level. What a crock. Few weeks ago some of you were even starting to talk down Deledio. Fair-weather supporters.

You can't change people's mind with facts Goodies.
Some in their determination to beat the drum for their cause are blinded by Tambling's improvement..and he is still improving.
I am still confident Bling will be a good player for us. Perhaps not at Deledio's level but good all the same.
Patience has gone out the window with this youngster.

Tigers of Old said:
You can't change people's mind with facts Goodies.
Some in their determination to beat the drum for their cause are blinded by Tambling's improvement..and he is still improving.
I am still confident Bling will be a good player for us. Perhaps not at Deledio's level but good all the same.
Patience has gone out the window with this youngster.

I give up ToO, the constant barrage against Tambling is just so un-Richmond supporter like. ;)

GoodOne said:
...the constant barrage against Tambling is just so un-Richmond supporter like. ;)

Well don't we have a right to be angry? Bling was pick 4 in a pretty good draft, and he has absolutley zero vision. Surely one of our recruiters must have undertaken an analysis of his football smarts?

Oh well...

The problem with Richie imo is that he still needs to work both ways. I am still seeing him during matches where an opposition player runs past him & he is only 5-10 metres away, yet on most occasions refuses to chase. Then on the other hand when the ball is going our way he can show that explosive pace he has, then he looks like that exciting player we are hoping he becomes on a more consistent basis. So if anything I would like to see TW work really hard over the next 12 months convincing Tambling that if he can find that missing link, he will be an instrumental player in our future finals campaigns.

GoodOne said:
Apparently if a youngster doesn't play Judd-like right from the start, he's not up to AFL level.

Why are we so obsessed with bringing names like Judd & Franklin into this constructive discussion of RT?
There's no question Richmond's objective at the 2004 Nat. Draft was to obtain skillful running players for the midfield. After all, TW clearly stated the club was sadly lacking players in this area. At this present moment, nobody expects RT to emulate the heights of Chris Judd, nor do we expect him to hold down CHF. But we cannot deter ourselves away from the fact - after so much deliberation - we had an early choice to select a player that would improve our skills around the ground. And right now, his skills are that far away from improving our overall team skills, it aint that funny.