Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

mopsy fraser said:
dermott brereton said at the time there was a question mark on buddy about his attitude, we made the correct decision at the time to take tambling ahead of franklin.
just like how hawthorn overlooked judd because there were question marks over his shoulder injuries.
they made the right decision to choose hodge with the information they had at the time.
hindsight is a wonderful thing.

thats what the people who knew they were wrong always say

buddy is cocky but jack is just confident ::)

Show me one draft expert that had Franklin as their #1 pick?

Long way to go before we start claiming who was the pick of the 04 draft, based on the last 2 weeks Franklin is clearly on top.

Two weeks ago Deledio, Sherman and Lewis would have been the pick of the bunch.

In two weeks time, we may well have another who takes top billing, that's the nature of football.

After 4 completed seasons I think judgments will carry more weight, Griffen for example, is a much better footballer than his first 5 games suggest, Deledio will be much better after he is given time in the middle, Tambling will continue to improve and guys like Monfries, Bate and Roughead may take there obvious talents to the next level.

Franklin has a lot of expectation now, I even wonder if his solid three goal games will be seen as disappointing given his obvious ability to kick big bags.

Purple patches like Franklin's are not uncommon, Jeff Farmer, Alan Jakovich, Adrian McAdam and even the humble Paul Medhurst have all had fleeting periods of brilliance only to fall just as quickly.

Judge a player by his deeds over years, not merely a couple of strong performances. It's easy to get carried away from week to week and to start lynching recruiters and coaching staff as a result. Even the Hodge/Judd debate took an about face, albeit for one season only.

Just returning to the theme of the thread, Tambling, personally I'm very pleased with his improvement this season and I have no reason to doubt he will continue his steep learning curve. Perhaps at the end of the 2008 we can revisit this thread and attempt to assess his true value to the team, hopefully in the context of sustained success with the team as a whole.

checkside said:
tigers#7 said:
They are two totally different players so its unfair to compare. Franklin is good yes, but Tambling is going to be good as well. Tambling > Griffen. He averages like 9 disposals this year. What was all this talk about?
Griffen is clearly carrying an injury, he has been terrible this year.
On Before the Bounce a couple of weeks ago TW suggested it was due to him being given an increased workload in the middle, one reason he didn't want to throw Deledio in there full time.

why is tambling on when he is clearly injured? its not like the game is in the balance, its stupid to put him in risk of a more serious injury :mad:

Doolz85 said:
why is tambling on when he is clearly injured? its not like the game is in the balance, its stupid to put him in risk of a more serious injury :mad:

To toughen him up I think so that he can play through the pain barrier. Clearly he cannot at this stage.

bullus_hit said:

No they weren't - that is simply not right. Going into this season Griffen and Franklin were rated the two best.

bullus_hit said:
In two weeks time, we may well have another who takes top billing, that's the nature of football.

Is that a joke?

Franklin is leading the goalkicking after 6 rounds, and if you stretch that out a little further has kicked three bags of 6 (from centre half forward) and one of 9 in the last dozen or so games. It would take a few 30 plus posession games with a few goals and no clangers to beat that in the short/medium term. And that aint going to happen.

bullus_hit said:
Franklin has a lot of expectation now, I even wonder if his solid three goal games will be seen as disappointing given his obvious ability to kick big bags.

Are you serious? Is that a problem? We haven't had a forward with that expectation since Roach and Bartlett!

WE COULD HAVE HAD FRANKLIN FOLKS BUT GREG MILLER AND TERRY WALLETT SPENT OFFICE HOURS COUNTING THEIR MONEY...

Blingsta will be having scans on that injured shoulder. Walked into Punt Road today in a sling.

I hope he is fine, he is an integral part of our structure.

geoffryprettyboy said:
I hope he is fine, he is an integral part of our structure.

You're wasting your time GPB. Some folks round here only want to talk about what might have been.

Anduril said:
You're wasting your time GPB. Some folks round here only want to talk about what might have been.

not might, but should have been

Turbo Tiger said:
bullus_hit said:

No they weren't - that is simply not right. Going into this season Griffen and Franklin were rated the two best.

bullus_hit said:

Is that a joke?

Franklin is leading the goalkicking after 6 rounds, and if you stretch that out a little further has kicked three bags of 6 (from centre half forward) and one of 9 in the last dozen or so games. It would take a few 30 plus posession games with a few goals and no clangers to beat that in the short/medium term. And that aint going to happen.

bullus_hit said:

Are you serious? Is that a problem? We haven't had a forward with that expectation since Roach and Bartlett!

WE COULD HAVE HAD FRANKLIN FOLKS BUT GREG MILLER AND TERRY WALLETT SPENT OFFICE HOURS COUNTING THEIR MONEY...

Obviously a bad week to respond to that, although I will say that Griffen has had a bad year to date and Franklin was sitting on 9 goals in 4 matches, hardly earth shattering stuff.

Anyhow, best put this discussion to bed for a while because nobody at Richmond looks capable of being matchwinners at the moment.

Hindsight is a wonderfull thing,

We can all see Franklin is going great guns now,

Cant remember too many complaining about Tambling when we first got him though,

From all reports Tambling looked like a freak in U 18s,

I got that first hand from Assitant coach vic u18s that year.

In Tamblings defence it is s harder to look good in a side that is struggling , but yeah we may have stuffed that one as well,

Fiora all over again, or is that too painfull to make comparisons

I actually feel sorry for Richie, he'll have to contend with this comparison for the rest of his career. He'll be better than Fiora but probably won't win games off his own boot like Franklin.

Anyhow, if one was to look at things in a positive light, we may well get another crack at a champion junior in the next few drafts. Hopefully a matchwinner falls into our laps this year.

It's hard to see now but the worm will turn, it can't get any worse I guess, St Kilda and the Doggies prove that things can change pretty quickly.

Looking at the next generation, there is still some hope that we have the makings of a good team, it does seem however that the rebuilding is still several years away from completion.