Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

I don't think anyone's saying he's definitely going to be a superstar. I think they're just saying it's too early to judge him as some are. I know that's what I'm saying anyway. GPB can ridicule all he likes but the fact is until he has the fitness to play midfield we won't know for sure what we've got.

And I also disagree that he looks poor in the areas you outlined. I agree that at times he has, particularly early on, but on the occasions he's been played more in the middle of the ground he's shown all those qualities. Add to that he's shown he has top tier speed, the ability to take a contested mark and is starting to show a willingness to put his body on the line and go after the ball himself. Not many 3rd of 4th rounders have all those qualities. None of this guarantees anything of course, but none the less he is still a top prospect.

Djevv said:
I think people are worried about Tambo not becoming an immediate superstar like Deledio, Griffen, Roughead, Lewis and Franklin, all of who can (and consistently do) turn a game off their own boot!

Deledio is NOT consistently turning games of his own boot; can't speak for the others but i bet they aren't either

By jeez that Chris Judd has a lot to answer for!

DirtyDogTiger said:
Djevv said:
I think people are worried about Tambo not becoming an immediate superstar like Deledio, Griffen, Roughead, Lewis and Franklin, all of who can (and consistently do) turn a game off their own boot!

Deledio is NOT consistently turning games of his own boot; can't speak for the others but i bet they aren't either

exactly...these kids arent even SUPERSTARS....please......as for turning a game off their own boot......no way ATM.....

until such time i see RT put a concerted effort into chasing down blokes with his natural asset (PACE).....i will label him lazy.....i have been to plenty of games to see him canter along when if he actually used his pace to harrass....pressure.....to create a problem for the guy with the ball....something davey does on a constant basis....

but hey most feel that he was a walk up star.....will be interested to see how the masses feel at the end of the year about one RT....

when we drafted the kid i was rapt along with plenty at the RFC....and was going on other peoples perceptions from watching him play up NT way....to me he has lived up to the hype....

perhaps the problem was the HYPE....way over the top.....

DirtyDogTiger said:
Djevv said:

This was my point DDT. ;)

Life might be a little easier for YOUNG Richard if he wasnt surrounded by some lazy teamates ;)

Tambling chased a couple of opponents down last week. I was actually again impressed with his game. He is going in the right direction.

The most pleasing thing that I picked up on the replay was there was a scuffle that he was involved in. The umpire then went to Ritchie and got in his face. Tambling basically told the umpire to nick off. Tambling was really fired up and showed that he had some real aggro, passion and desire to him. I can't remember a player apart from Richo being so fired up.

Harry said:
...reading the game, positioning, quick thinking and execution. From what I have seen he has shown nothing more than what a kid picked in the third/fourth round would show, not something a pick #4 in his 3rd year should.

If your observations are correct, then think what the potential reasons could be. Inexperience can cause some players to panic a little more than they usually would. First time he wins a hardball against Chris Judd and he accelerates away, his heart'll be beating a million miles an hour and if he picked the 2nd best option instead of the best and his kick was only 90% good then you can excuse him. The 10th time he beats Chris Judd he'll have more composure and poise, he already has this against regular players as evident in the Collingwood game.

Also, it is very difficult judging how well someone is at "reading the game" unless you have serious experience looking at it the way AFL players do or the way coaches do. He learns from every mistake faster than most and last week we saw signs that he has a mongrel about him. Danny Meyer has a bit more mongrel about him too.

Whenever we judge a player at a young age we can't be too stubborn with our opinions, they are contantly evolving and our opinions need to be changing with them.

FWIW, I think Tambling will be a superstar ;D

9 tackles the other week. 9 contested possessions last week (only behind West and Tuck). He's on track!

RT is over the hill, already into his third year, and cant even consistently pick up 20-25 possessions a game. Is there a brotherhood bin for 20 year olds who didn't make it?

After 30 minutes of football, Tambling set the Tigers alight - That was more than a very good effort.
How did others observe Tamblings game today?

Think he took a real step forward today. His evasion and work in traffic was excellent. Just disappointing with his delivery to Richo that one time late in the game.

Went missing a bit in the second quarter when Selwood went to him. He's getting closer though, and when he fully arrives, look out.

The thing is he is only going to get better - starting to back himself and had a few Judd/Kerr like traps and clearances today.

Patience Grasshoppers -

BTW good to see the handball by Richo top Richie for his fourth - terrific way to keep Richie's momentum going.

The_General said:
Went missing a bit in the second quarter when Selwood went to him. He's getting closer though, and when he fully arrives, look out.

How electric can he be -

I hope for more consistancy from him though.

Love him up forward he plays a hell of a lot taller than he actually is.

needs to work on his game when being tagged though. Hope that was a good learning game for him today.

Ya, a couple of poor kicks, but a couple of pretty good ones too. His positioning and reading of the game were pretty good too I thought.

An extraordinary 1st quarter. Not sure whether it was instructions, but I would of liked him just staying inside forward 50 for the entire match, where we could of seen a bigger goal tally.

His 1st quarter would of sent some of the squirrels back in their holes.

Disco08 said:
Ya, a couple of poor kicks, but a couple of pretty good ones too. His positioning and reading of the game were pretty good too I thought.

Who was his opponent after 1/4 time Disco?