Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling Threads (merged)

I find tambling a very lazy footballer. People talk about how quick he is and his natural ability to get hold of the ball but i never see it? He has the ability to chase opponents down but he doesn't seem to want to do it. From the way people pumped up tambling in the offseason I would have thought he wld have come out with all guns blazing but no. I know he is young but I would have thought he would have come along in leaps and bounds and not baby steps. I want him to prove me wrong , starting this saturday against the weagles.

Disco08 said:
You'd drink them all right now though wouldn't you Rock?

no not really disco , i'm not into clear skins , i like the tried and trusted stuff , unfortunatley ATM we seem to be out of stock here at RFC , the drought must be affecting this current crops progress.

You'll have to tell me the secret to judging a drop while the grape is still on the vine mate.

ThePercies said:
I find tambling a very lazy footballer. People talk about how quick he is and his natural ability to get hold of the ball but i never see it? He has the ability to chase opponents down but he doesn't seem to want to do it. From the way people pumped up tambling in the offseason I would have thought he wld have come out with all guns blazing but no. I know he is young but I would have thought he would have come along in leaps and bounds and not baby steps. I want him to prove me wrong , starting this saturday against the weagles.

hip hip hooray well done percy , you have hit the nail on the head , at it didnt take you 000's of posts to get it right either ... congrats my boy

Did anyone see him force Griffin into holding the ball against the Dogs?

Disco08 said:
You'll have to tell me the secret to judging a drop while the grape is still on the vine mate.

its easy disco its like when you are shopping , with a good keen eye and some knowledge you can see how good the fruit is going to be BEFORE you pay for it take it home carve it up and find its infested with fruit flies

Disco, if you had the opportunity, who would you prefer, Tambling or either Thomas or Pendelbary?

i'd like to think they are allright , well they must be , as i dont own a pair of rose colored glasses

Skills said:
Disco, if you had the opportunity, who would you prefer, Tambling or either Thomas or Pendelbary?

Probably Pendlebury first as he seems to be making absolutely quantum leaps forward after playing only a relatively short time and he has the runs on the board so would be a safer bet, Tambling close second and Thomas third. If the combined thoughts of most junior experts in the country were right about Tambling leading into his draft though he will be the best of the three quite easily once he reaches his peak.

Disco08 said:
Skills said:

Probably Pendlebury first as he seems to be making absolutely quantum leaps forward after playing only a relatively short time and he has the runs on the board so would be a safer bet, Tambling close second and Thomas third. If the combined thoughts of most junior experts in the country were right about Tambling leading into his draft though he will be the best of the three quite easily once he reaches his peak.

Thats interesting. I guess your choice re Pendelbary might have to do with the fact he has all the time in the world and uses the footy so very well. I think Thomas will be the best out of the lot. An impact player in the making.
Now, using that as a benchmark...thats where we want Tambling to be - It has to start happening in the next 12 months.

I guess I haven't seen enough of Thomas to appreciate him then. I don't watch alot of Collingwood games as a rule but when I have seen him it's always seemed to me that he wastes it a bit and I always assumed that led to opposition coaches giving him a bit of a free run. (He does often seem to have alot of space).

I agree with you that Tambling needs to continue to improve. I don't think the forward pocket is the place for him to really do it though given the way the ball generally comes into our forward line (and leaves it).

geoffryprettyboy said:
Until then, flying the tambling flag is like flying a kite on a windless day. Give it time, the wind will pick up.

Tambling is still a kid GPB and an improving one at that, don't lose sight of it, you've said as much yourself before.
Unfortunately for young Richard, we supporters are so desperate for ready made superstars at Richmond that we have little patience for slow development. We are quick to pull out the whip.
It is because of our dearth of genuine matchwinners, added to basically no success over two decades, that the expectations of our kids(particularly Tambling and Deledio, being dps 1 & 4) are huge. Actually they are gigantic. Ridiculously so as two players in one draft year are extremely unlikely to swing a teams fortunes from paupers to princes no matter how much we wish it to happen.
However I am adamant most of that heat should be redirected at the senior players who've tasted little success over a much longer period, but it is probably even more attributed to the pre TW administration that we find ourselves in this frustrating predicament.

Obviously I'm Bling's PRE President this year but I truly believe he would be starring in a more balanced team than ours. With time, when/if? that balance occurs, I'm sure we'll be very happy that Richard Tambling is running around in the Y&B. :)

Patience Pretty One. 8)

Disco08 said:

thats the point WHY doesnt he do it every time...because he is LAZY....or couldnt be stuffed...not good enough...this aint the NT league...

sorry he hasnt won me over yet....until such time he will be just another young player that didnt live up to that god awful word POTENTIAL.......

contract still to be signed this year....1 year extension or 2 at the most....for all the hoopla about this kid he certainly isnt living up to it....

Skills said:
Disco08 said:
Skills said:

Thats interesting. I guess your choice re Pendelbary might have to do with the fact he has all the time in the world and uses the footy so very well. I think Thomas will be the best out of the lot. An impact player in the making.
Now, using that as a benchmark...thats where we want Tambling to be - It has to start happening in the next 12 months.

Im with you skills, I think Thomas will be the best of the lot.

To appreciate how good Thomas is you have to see him live- i've seen him three times live this year - the first in Mildura, the next against us, and the third on Anzac day. The reason why he gets so much space is because his workrate is so high! He amazed me the first time, astonded me the second then floored me the third, the kid works his backside off. He runs and runs and runs all day long. The other great thing about him is he is an instinctive footballer, he reads the play so well, its like he knows where the ball is going before it goes there, and his centre clearance work is testament to that. He also has that touch of magic so he can do the brilliant, I predict in the future he will be that goalkicking midfielder for the Pies, who adds class to the team.

Next in line I would have Pendlebury - again seen him three times, and whilst different to Thomas he also works hard. Not as hard as Thomas and is not the instinctive footballer that Thomas is but he is that type of footballer that never panics, seems to have so much time when he has the footy and is an absolute class user of the pill. Pure silk.

After them we have Tambo. Again the Collingwood game was the best i've seen from him offensively (if i can speak american jibberish) he worked hard to create space for himself, attacked the marking contests and presented an option. He did that for a half. Other times its patches here and there with Richie but nothing consistant, he needs to add Dale Thomas' gut running to his resume, that way he will create more time and space for himself, and also he is quicker than Dale so he should be able to chase better - yet the opposite is occuring. Time is on his side but Dale and Pendlebury were the draft after him if im correct? So yer he better shake a tailfeather and get to it.

Disco08 said:

I watched the game, I saw this piece of play, and with the risk of being blasted I would say - his game was very unimpressive. While he got a bit of the ball (not THAT much) he consistantly chose the wrong option for his disposal. Time and time again he gave the ball short to players who were under pressure.

It was almost as if he lacked any up-field vision at all.

I am still not a fan.

For the record I think Thomas is a Jet, and Pendlebury could be hit or miss. Tambo will be a 150 gamer, but a frustrating one...