Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

This Is Anfield said:
Makes one wonder then zips - would Tambling be a premiership player at Hawthorn?

Tambling shouldn't not have been a top 20 pick plain & simple.
And the one 500 times worse was when we selected Oakley Nicholls. The commentators couldn't believe we took him with our first pick.
Why did Taylor slide from a top 20 pick till we picked him? Clubs knew he had issues.
That's why clubs are very wary of Garlett. Picks are so valuable you can't make mistakes.

zippadeee said:
Tambling shouldn't not have been a top 20 pick plain & simple.

Ah hindsight! About a quarter of the scribes at the time were suggesting Tambling would be a more worthy No. 1 pick than Lids.

JOH fair enough he came from nowhere, but you can't claim the same of Tambling. In my opinion he simply cant' get his head around when he should be zoning and when he should be making play. For that reason i thought his move to Adelaide would be a disaster for both him and the Crows bearing in mind the zoning mindset of Neil Craig.

The more the game went towards zoning, the more Tambling slipped into oblivion.

True. And for those who don't remember the night ... most on here were thrilled to bits that we picked up "the best two players in the draft" with picks 1 and 4. Have a read of this thread from page 1 if you don't agree, and particularly this post :

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10932.msg148445#msg148445

Jeebus I was a bit over excited. :p Reckon Ritchie is a large reason I now take a wait and see approach to the juniors.
Way too much hype for talented young players entirely unproven in the toughest competition in the land.
There was an unhealthy amount of hope at that 2004 draft and we've had ONE(dp1) genuine success from that swag of picks.

Tigers of Old said:
Jeebus I was a bit over excited. :p Reckon Ritchie is a large reason I now take a wait and see approach to the juniors.
Way too much hype for talented young players entirely unproven in the toughest competition in the land.
There was an unhealthy amount of hope at that 2004 draft and we've had ONE(dp1) genuine success from that swag of picks.

Very true, but the thing that made the 04 draft even worse was that we had 5 picks in the top 20 and we screwed up badly with the other 3 too. Meyer, pattison, polo

23.21.159 said:
True. And for those who don't remember the night ... most on here were thrilled to bits that we picked up "the best two players in the draft" with picks 1 and 4. Have a read of this thread from page 1 if you don't agree, and particularly this post :

http://puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10932.msg148445#msg148445

All drafts are speculating - I'm hoping we draft Freeman based on what I've read but he might pull a Blinger
Ritchie's first NAB cup game was sweet - he ran fwd and received from lids and slammed home a goal
Most tiger fans were drooling. It barely happened again but he was with us at the start when we were a crap club
He probably needs a sports psych by now

Tigers of Old said:
Jeebus I was a bit over excited. :
Indeed you were, but you were just a young whipper snapper back then.

Tigers of Old said:
Given what we've seen of Lids so far, I actually hope you're right, because by my early calculations, that will make Bling one of the best ever :).

Re: Tambling must pick 1

the claw said:
in hindsight i would have taken franklin with pick 4 the only thing that stopped me from wanting him at that pick was his percieved poor attitude but with 5 top 20 picks the risk was worth taking.if the draft had panned out as everyone expected roughhead was a shoein at 4.

Claw was on the money nice and early.

Tommo37 said:
Let's be honest, when do you reckon Franklin would have walked out on Richmond, this year or would he be gone already.

Reckon Franklin would be gone and because of the improved performance of the team and perceived lack of need to recruit anymore talls we wouldn't have Cotchin, Reiwoldt and Vickery right now. One action has many flow on effects.

zippadeee said:
Very true, but the thing that made the 04 draft even worse was that we had 5 picks in the top 20 and we screwed up badly with the other 3 too. Meyer, pattison, polo
It was a *smile* draft year.
Not many players still getting a game.
Bit hard to blame us for those picks.

Tigermad2005 said:
It was a sh!t draft year.

It is interesting that from picks 10 to 28 of that draft there are only 4 players still playing and only 5 reached 100 games, 10 less than 50.

Tigermad2005 said:
It was a sh!t draft year.

Roughead, Franklin and Lewis that's not bad.

I would give tambling another go on the rookie list

With where our team is at now he could actually become a pretty good small foward similar to varcoe

Certainly wouldnt have any pressure that he was under when he 1st arrived at the club