Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: I thought Ritchie Tambling was ok. [Merged]

Tigerbob said:
Williams_ Magic said:
Turbo Tiger knows whats going down. Best poster on this site..

Who let these Hawthorn morons join the best site on the net?

They dont deserve to even read the threads!

Back to the dump the lot of you!

*smile* off, I am not a Hawthorn supporter!

Turbo Tiger said:
Tigerbob said:
Williams_ Magic said:

What are you then, because you don't support Richmond. :p

Turbo Tiger said:
Tigerbob said:
Williams_ Magic said:

yea right *smile*

Dont worry I would deny it if I was a dawk fan too :eek:

shawry said:
I liek Patterson and dont think Wood has hsown much yet but would be interested to hear the reasoning behind this jsut for interests sake.

I only way i can describe Pattison is that he is a ruckman version of Gaspar.

blaisee said:
Turbo Tiger said:
Tigerbob said:
Williams_ Magic said:

yea right *smile*

Dont worry I would deny it if I was a dawk fan too :eek:
I don't think he's necessarily a Hawthorn supporter. Franklin's manager possibly.

linuscambridge said:
Your statements here indicate your ignorance of the facts in the pursuit of supporting your argument. Most of the recruiters at the time agreed that Hawthorn took Roughhead at 2 so that the Tigers wouldn't get him at 4 and would have to take Buddy since they would want a mid and a KPI with their first 2 picks. The Hawks were hoping to nab Tambling at 5 themselves and would have taken him over Buddy if given half a chance.

If you want to bag out our recruiters, get you facts right, perhaps you could ask them why we took Pattison at 16 when Wood, last weeks rising star, didn't go till pick 18.
I have to say, that when I hear this 'club x' took 'player A' at 2 knowing that 'club y wanted 'player A' at 4 pick and that they could get 'player B' at pick 5, I just chuckle. I'm sure they go through all sorts of scenarios in the hours up until the draft, but I don't belive they would change their drafting of their first pick just to suite their second pick. First pick must always be 'best possible' player.

At the end of 2004 Hawthorns list was deplorable when it came to KPP talent. We had Dutchy Holland and Croad, and Dutchy's shoulders had been stuffed for three or more years, apart from him, we had no KP youngsters coming through.
When pick 2 came our way, we did what we needed to do, and that was take the most fancied young KP player in the draft, Roughead.
I don't for a second believe we took Roughead only to try and pip Richmond or any other club from getting him. It was purely on a needs basis. Of course, when Franklin was still there at 5 we took him also. And hence we had come away from the draft with two KP players, two players that our list was screaming out for. As it's no coincidence that they debuted almost instantly and have played almost every game when fit since they were drafted.

There is no doubt Hawthorn picked Roughy because he was the best available option.

But they planned and epected Richmond to take Franklin (1 mid and 1 KPP) so were hopeful of getting Tambling at pick 5.

Hawthorn was disappointed that we took Tambling over Buddy as they also wanted Tambling and would have done the exact same thing we did.

benny_furs said:
There is no doubt Hawthorn picked Roughy because he was the best available option.

But they planned and epected Richmond to take Franklin (1 mid and 1 KPP) so were hopeful of getting Tambling at pick 5.

Hawthorn was disappointed that we took Tambling over Buddy as they also wanted Tambling and would have done the exact same thing we did.

Lore has it that Clarkson over-ruled Buckenara. I believe this.

Bucky was mad on Bling.

shawry said:
linuscambridge said:
Turbo Tiger said:
knobelknight said:
Buddy's going to be a freak and there is no doubt a HUGE mistake was made by the clowns in charge of drafting. The kid has kicked goals in 28 out of his 36 AFL games.

Consider this Buddy took 33 games to kick 50 goals. Compare this too:
Riewoldt 47 games
Pavlich 51 games
Jonathon Brown 44 games
Fevola 31 games

The numbers for a guy that's done nothing stack up. I went to the game on the weekend and he took a mark outside 50, went back and slotted it from 55. His the most exciting player that i have seen in a decade.

However he is a Hawk not a Tiger so forget about him (i forgot about Pavlich too).

See they are the sort of numbers that should haunt our recruiting staff. Instead they drive around in their fancy cars, go to fancy restaurants and leave us watch pathetic football every week.

How can we make these errors time and time again?

Your statements here indicate your ignorance of the facts in the pursuit of supporting your argument. Most of the recruiters at the time agreed that Hawthorn took Roughhead at 2 so that the Tigers wouldn't get him at 4 and would have to take Buddy since they would want a mid and a KPI with their first 2 picks. The Hawks were hoping to nab Tambling at 5 themselves and would have taken him over Buddy if given half a chance.

If you want to bag out our recruiters, get you facts right, perhaps you could ask them why we took Pattison at 16 when Wood, last weeks rising star, didn't go till pick 18.
I liek Patterson and dont think Wood has hsown much yet but would be interested to hear the reasoning behind this jsut for interests sake.

Personally, I like Pattison, he seems like a great kid and the sort of bloke that you would want around your club. I just can't figure out the reasoning behind his selection.

If you wanted a ruckman then even the casual draft observers like myself thought that Wood was the best pick at that point of the draft. If you wanted a key position player, I am not so sure where Patto is going to fit into the side. He has excellent hands and can take a grab with the best of them, but his kicking is terrible so would you want him up forward? That just leaves CHB for a bloke of his dimensions and I really don't think he has the speed over the first 10 meters to take on the modern CHF.

So that leaves him back in the ruck, and given a choice over Patto or Wood as a ruckman, then and now I would have taken Wood.

Dyer'ere said:
benny_furs said:

Lore has it that Clarkson over-ruled Buckenara. I believe this.

Bucky was mad on Bling.

There are a few rational PRE posters who will well admit that Buddy has shown a lot more than Tambling at this stage, but who would you take out of Roughhead and Tambling is a much more interesting question??

I hate Flankling, Linus. Did at the time of the U18 carnival. Still do. So I'm hardly rational on the topic. :crazy

I have always thought that he is a small. And as a small forward I think he's excelled. But that's the thing about small forwards, they usually come on early and fade early. Unless they find another position.

I was pretty keen on Roughy at the time but was hoping we'd jag Deledio and Bling. So there's my bias.

I haven't given up on Bling at all. Looks a very immature type even now and I think he'll develop over the next few years so I'd still have him ahead of Roughead because I think he is more likely to become a game breaker. And we don't got no smalls who can get a kick.

Roughead looks immature too but he's kept filling out. Geez he looks very cumbersome at times now when he moves. But I wouldn't give up on him yet. If he can just start crashing some packs, they'll soon get out of the way for him. Just a baby now.

For the Franklin v Tambling debaters, Franklin is a clear leader at this stage.

mb64 said:
For the Franklin v Tambling debaters, Franklin is a clear leader at this stage.

i agree at this stage. But who is the clear leader out of Franklin v roughhead?

benny_furs said:

You say Hawthorn wanted this, and hawthorn were disappointed about that, but how do you know? Because someone else wrote it ona internbet forum?
Honestly, have a look at our list circa 2004, then tell me we were disappointed to grab two KPP's.

We could have a great battle about whose list was worse at the end of 2004.