Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Felt in 6 years he was never given a specific role and would usually play 4 or 5 roles throughout a game. The main question he was asking the several clubs interested in trading for him was what role did they have in mind for him. Neil Craig said they see him through the midfield and accross halfback and obviously this appealed to the sook.

I do wonder what Neil Craig sees in him that Beavis doesn't though. Hope Beavis is right too.

Disco08 said:
A bit more insight into why he wanted out from the horse's mouth.

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_crows-star-recruit-richard-tambling_100069

that was a great listen. very impressive young man. shame things didn't work out at rfc. i reckon he'll win a b and f or 2 at adelaide

Very interesting interview thanks for posting that one Patsy.

I must be the only one on the boards who wishes him really well at Adelaide. I think the club, the climate and the city will suit him. Richmond was clearly a failed marriage and time to move on.

Djevv said:

I must be the only one on the boards who wishes him really well at Adelaide. I think the club, the climate and the city will suit him. Richmond was clearly a failed marriage and time to move on.
you're not the only one Djevv.
I hope he goes well.

Disco08 said:
Felt in 6 years he was never given a specific role and would usually play 4 or 5 roles throughout a game.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Tambling was given plenty of specific roles but the club apparently couldn't find one he was much good at.

We'll see soon enough if Craig can get him to extract the digit and make a position his own rather than being spoon fed.

One thing is for sure, unbder Neil Craig Tambling will know exactly what he is expected to do and when. Neil is a control freak.

Might work for Bling, might be a total disaster.

jb03 said:
I doubt Craig is half the coach Rawlings was.

And we got smashed in the majority of Rawlings' coached teams anyway.

Doesn't change the fact Rawlings did actually find a spot he was suited to and played him there to good effect though.

It also makes no sense at all that numerous clubs would chase him if they didn't think there was a role or two he could be good at. In the end a top club gave up a package easily as good as the one Lovett commanded for him despite his hideous form this year. Obviously their view of him differs to ours and all I'm saying is I hope we're right.

Djevv said:

Agree, I hope he does well. I have no problems with a player trying their chances with other clubs in order to play the role they want; after all, we are recruiting Houli and Griggs through similar desires.

Disco08 said:
Doesn't change the fact Rawlings did actually find a spot he was suited to and played him there to good effect though.

Was that forward or back Disco?
I thought his good form last year was as a HB but got confused in the arguments at the beginning of the year.

Disco08 said:

It also makes no sense at all that numerous clubs would chase him if they didn't think there was a role or two he could be good at. In the end a top club gave up a package easily as good as the one Lovett commanded for him despite his hideous form this year. Obviously their view of him differs to ours and all I'm saying is I hope we're right.

He was valued very similar to a limited David Hale in this years trade period.

Such wit.

Navy Days said:
He was valued very similar to a limited David Hale in this years trade period.

You mean 26 year old, 201cm ruckman/forward David Hale? That's proving my point if you ask me. You've seen the prices clubs are willing to pay for big blokes. We've also seen how much value clubs are putting on these compensation picks with GC willing to trade earlier picks for them. With that in mind I reckon the price we got for Tambling is close enough to the value Melbourne got for McLean. Amazing IMO but certainly indicative of how highly Adelaide think of Tambling.

Tigers of Old said:
Was that forward or back Disco?
I thought his good form last year was as a HB but got confused in the arguments at the beginning of the year.

He had a couple of good games early in the year off halfback, but once Rawlings took over he played as an attacking midfielder.

I find it difficult to value a guy's worth when he racks up possessions in sides that were in the main getting thrashed.

We all know that just because you get 25-30 possessions it doesn't necessarily mean you played a good game. Look at Bowden's career as an example of how possessions mean two tenths of *smile* all. And more to the point, Tambling played his best football in a side that was copping repeated floggings at the end of the season.

Oppositions probably wouldn't have given two stuffs about how many touches Tambling got....they didn't help us hit the scoreboard so he was basically allowed to run free while the opposition continued to pepper the goals.

As I have said before, IMO his 2009 has been greatly overstated. 4th in the B&F in a side that wins 5 games is not something to crow about.

I for one don't wish him well next year. He gave us little in 6 years, found it all too hard despite the repeated chances he was afforded that others weren't and wanted out. He left us so he can get *smile* as far as I am concerned.

Agree with the last line, especially the way he's gone about it.

Disagree with the rest though. Good form is good form and isn't just about disposals. Ball wins, contested possessions and effective disposal are all areas indicative of strong performance in a midfield role and these are all areas Tambling performed very well in under Rawlings. IMO you can't fluke that type of performance nor can you dismiss it because a player played in a losing team.

I thought it was a cop out to blame the fans for his poor performance!
I wish him well but i cant see why he's complaining about getting played in different positions, he was getting games when he shouldnt have and the only reason he was moved from position to position is because he didnt excell in any of the position he played in despite given game time!
He's either mentally weak or just not a good footballer, time will tell at adelaide!