Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Disco08 said:
I've said at least 3 or 4 times I didn't think he was worth more than a 3rd rounder after the year he had.

I don't believe I know more than Eastlake's footy department, let alone an AFL club's.

Different clubs have completely different views of players Disco. Doesnt make them right until time tells us.

Collingwood traded 14 for Cam Wood not long ago.

Sydney traded 44 for uberdud of duds Henry Playfair.

They are both excellent football depts. Certainly better than Eastlakes.

Biggest shame here is that after 5 years, we're trading a No 4 draft pick who didn't deliver to the standard we needed. I know player drafting is not easy, but we can't afford these situations to ever happen again. Whether it be the initial selection or the poor development coaching, these areas must be fixed (if they haven't been already).

Good luck Ritchie. I for one am a fan.

IMO injury and Wallace cruelled your time at Richmond.

I certainly won't be booing you. I wish him all the best.

U2Tigers said:
Good luck Ritchie. I for one am a fan.

IMO injury and Wallace cruelled your time at Richmond.

I certainly won't be booing you. I wish him all the best.

X2

Tigers2011 said:
Biggest shame here is that after 5 years, we're trading a No 4 draft pick who didn't deliver to the standard we needed. I know player drafting is not easy, but we can't afford these situations to ever happen again. Whether it be the initial selection or the poor development coaching, these areas must be fixed (if they haven't been already).

Still not sure I agree here. Maybe the development was lacking. But let's not forget that there were some pundits at the time, on this board, in the media and in other clubs, that were mooting the idea of taking Tambling at 1. Indeed, almost EVERY PRE poster was agreed that either Tambling or Deledio should have gone at pick one, the only bone of contention was which?

The RFC did nothing wrong here. Somehow we managed to pluck the best two potential picks at that draft with 1 and 4. Not everyone lives up to their potential.

In any case, maybe we've inadvertently hit upon a novel trading path here ... pick a dud with a high pick, and after he's underperformed for a few years, trade him over the odds on the strength of his original pick number. If RT had been drafted at 70, and played like he did, would Adelaide have offered the two picks they did? Not likely.

Another case of a player who firmly believes he will feel better (and therefore maybe play better) at another club. I sincerely hope it ends up being true good luck to him. I think he is really going to have to latch on to the new start syndrome or his personal demons will find a new reason for him not to take advantage of his obvious ability.

I think Tambling represents one of the few players traded from Richmond who actually has ability, since Ottens in actual fact - but obviously a high risk as well and its a shame he couldn't be the outside receiver that this midfield of ours will make look good.

23.21.159 said:
Still not sure I agree here. Maybe the development was lacking. But let's not forget that there were some pundits at the time, on this board, in the media and in other clubs, that were mooting the idea of taking Tambling at 1. Indeed, almost EVERY PRE poster was agreed that either Tambling or Deledio should have gone at pick one, the only bone of contention was which?

The RFC did nothing wrong here. Somehow we managed to pluck the best two potential picks at that draft with 1 and 4. Not everyone lives up to their potential.

In any case, maybe we've inadvertently hit upon a novel trading path here ... pick a dud with a high pick, and after he's underperformed for a few years, trade him over the odds on the strength of his original pick number. If RT had been drafted at 70, and played like he did, would Adelaide have offered the two picks they did? Not likely.

fair point but remember this was greg beck's last draft.

Spud !!! pure and simple, nothing more, nothing less.

THAT shimmy against the Lions in your very 1st practice match at Optus Oval had me in shivers. Everything since has been something you should be thankful for young man. The RFC gave to you something you were very, very lucky to have. Why they persisted is truly beyond me.

Good luck at the Cows. They need another Andy (which some muppet said you were as good as too once on PRE ................. tell em they're dreamin')

cya :wave

The Crows now have a new whipping boy.

If Tampon was upset with the Richmond faithful booing him, wait to see what he cops from the Crow supporters.

Thanks Wallace for wasting our our No 4 pick on a dud.

I don't think the return is great for Tambling, however it is a result of his poor 2010 season. If we go back to 2009, he had his best year in the Yellow and Black, resulting in a 5th place in the B & F. I was expecting that Hardwick would get him up and going even better in 2010, but something happened. Whether it be the injuries, the confidence or the change in game plan, the year was poor for Richie. With two years left on his contract, I expected that a fit Tambling would finally fulfill the whole package - one that we got a taste of in 2009.

The problem for the Tiges is that Tambling asked to be traded - at a time when his value is much diminished. Richmond had two choices - keep him, and try and get the best out of an unhappy and more than likely unmotivated player. Or trade him, and take less money on the dollar and move on.

The Tiges chose option 2, which puts the onus on Francis Jackson and co. to make something from the wreckage.

I fully expect Tambling to go on and have a very good career - unfortunately I live in SA, and will have to deal with reading about it EVERY DAY that he does something good. This is the part that hurts for me. On the other hand, I do see a new Tiger philosophy that only has players who WANT to be part of the transformation into a team that others fear, like the tigers of Old! Surely that is what we all want at the end of the day.

Any pain I endure from seeing Richie star for the Crows (blech) will be tempered if the Tiges continue to improve and make strides into becoming a team that can consistently play in the major round.

So far the new regime has impressed, I will once again put my faith in them to come out the other side of this move with something positive. If not, I will just have to punch every Crow supporter I know. Of which there are many. :p

curious about all this conversation about whether richie lived up to his talent and whether he has potential to return to previous form, and whether the trade was worthy etc etc..

in my view hardwick has laid out his gameplan and decided on the types and numbers he needs for each position, he has quite a few rebounding defender types already that are settled in the team, so we have plainly just got too many of 1 type of player (same situation with the key backs). This is the opportunity to choose the weakest player in this group to trade/delist so you can draft to rebalance your side. Since tambling was deemed surplus to requirements, we just had to move him on and get the absolute best return that we could for him, i think the club have done this.

bling was given the opportunity to show something in different positions around the ground and didn't, so he is better off being traded to a club that need a rebounding defender, which is the only position he seems to know how to play.

personally after being frustrated for years, seeing the youngsters come through this year, has really reduced my care factor for players like richie, goodluck at adelaide mate, very big boots to fill over there but i hope you go well.

Great to see the club making a tough call on a under performing player, we need to cut our losses and move on instead on waiting and hoping that Tambling will someday become a good player. Personally I don't care too much about the picks I am more glad to see the club's culture changing for the better.

For those that are moaning about this decision, ask yourself if clubs that know what it takes to be successful like Geelong would continue to persist with Tambling after so many failures to perform at the level expected of him.

Successful clubs make tough decisions and are relentless in the pursuit of excellence, we need to do the same if we ever want to win a flag.