Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Not sure how pick 27 can be claimed as a first round pick. Lets be honest, its a mid-second round pick.

Even if we wait to 2012 and it is pick 19, it will still be a second round pick.

rosy23 said:
I think you're wrong and "definitely" is a big call. Make it sometimes definiately but there were certainly occasions when it was an issue. As I already said I doubt you'd notice what I was referring to on telly. I don't either. I'm confident others at the ground know what I mean, in fact some in our reserved area were very vocal about it.

I said any time he was in a contest, be it a stoppage or a marking contest - whatever. Every single one of those contests are clearly captured on TV.

Anyway, who cares? He's not a Tiger any more.

evo said:
Adelaide were short changed for Bock I suspect.

They've passed the short changing onto to us.

Pick 50 isn't worth anything.

I think you are demeaning pick 50 Evo. PLenty of gold taken 50 and beyond. Just need our recruiting team to find it.

For those people who are disappointed to see him go just remember that a small running flanker/outsider midfielder is one of the easiest positions to replace. Even if he improves substantially at Adelaide you may find a guy already on our list, like Nason, develops into the same type of player, or at least close and now we can use the 2 picks to have a shot at something we are genuinely short of. .... Quality Ruck, Key Forward, Goal Kicking Small Forward, etc.

DragicevicFan said:
Not sure how pick 27 can be claimed as a first round pick. Lets be honest, its a mid-second round pick.

Even if we wait to 2012 and it is pick 19, it will still be a second round pick.

Given all the compo picks and new teams etc etc, you can't just judge a pick by the round you think its in....judge it by the Pick Number.

Just another thing.

I have read some comments saying pick 50 is nothing.

Last year, Dea 44, Taylor 51, Webberley 67, Nason 71. We haven't seen much of Dea yet, but Taylor could be anything and Webberley and Nason had good 1st years. My point being, that if someone doesn't make it, get rid of them and get 2 more kids. Get kids, kids and more kids. And our recriuting dept seems to be much improved on the past, able to get promising kids all through the draft instead of getting most picks wrong.

Get enough kids and you will eventually have a good group. Not all will make it, but get enough of them and you will end up with a good list.

And don't forget, not all the best players are top 10 picks. Sure plently tops 10 picks are good, but plently of later picks end up being good players.

And plently of good players don't even get drafted, and end up getting picked as rookies, and then improve and end up good AFL players.

Want some examples? Lets have a look at a few players that just became premiership players.

Swan - pick 58
Johnson - 62
Jolly - 46
Goldsack - 63

And

Wellingham - rookie
Blair - rookie
Toovey - rookie

And

Maxwell - rookie
O'Brien - rookie

Be happy with any of those with those picks? I would. Still cant believe Maxwell and Harry O were rookies.

And others like Beams was 29. Plus of course some good trades, father sons, and of course some high draft picks too.

But you get the point. They got plenty of kids, and plenty of good ones right through the draft over many years, and now have a flag.

Get picks, get kids, use your picks well, build a list, win a flag.

:happy

I am glad he is gone to be honest. We can finally get beyond debating his worth around here.

Personally, I don't think he will come back to bite us...I just don't think he has it in him.

And Richie, if the bronx cheers upset you then prepare yourself for your first game in Melbourne against Richmond because you aint seen nothin yet.

Jack said:
Just another thing.

I have read some comments saying pick 50 is nothing.

Last year, Dea 44, Taylor 51, Webberley 67, Nason 71. We haven't seen much of Dea yet, but Taylor could be anything and Webberley and Nason had good 1st years. My point being, that if someone doesn't make it, get rid of them and get 2 more kids. Get kids, kids and more kids. And our recriuting dept seems to be much improved on the past, able to get promising kids all through the draft instead of getting most picks wrong.

Get enough kids and you will eventually have a good group. Not all will make it, but get enough of them and you will end up with a good list.

And don't forget, not all the best players are top 10 picks. Sure plently tops 10 picks are good, but plently of later picks end up being good players.

And plently of good players don't even get drafted, and end up getting picked as rookies, and then improve and end up good AFL players.

Want some examples? Lets have a look at a few players that just became premiership players.

Swan - pick 58
Johnson - 62
Jolly - 46
Goldsack - 63

And

Wellingham - rookie
Blair - rookie
Toovey - rookie

And

Maxwell - rookie
O'Brien - rookie

Be happy with any of those with those picks? I would. Still cant believe Maxwell and Harry O were rookies.

And others like Beams was 29. Plus of course some good trades, father sons, and of course some high draft picks too.

But you get the point. They got plenty of kids, and plenty of good ones right through the draft over many years, and now have a flag.

Get picks, get kids, use your picks well, build a list, win a flag.

A well balanced post Travis. :clap

Collingwood probably spend a heap on player scouting and development.

We really need to get rid of our debt and keep pumping money into the footy dept.

Good luck to Tambo, strange that he helped set up the Indig. centre and has left before it has started, oh well.

i will miss this thread now that he's gone , maybe we can start a new one and compared his crows stats with his tiger stats

Juffaricho said:
For those people who are disappointed to see him go just remember that a small running flanker/outsider midfielder is one of the easiest positions to replace. Even if he improves substantially at Adelaide you may find a guy already on our list, like Nason, develops into the same type of player, or at least close and now we can use the 2 picks to have a shot at something we are genuinely short of. .... Quality Ruck, Key Forward, Goal Kicking Small Forward, etc.

Agree with the principle of this post! but we don't "need" quality rucks or key forwards... goal kicking midfielders, running midfielders, strong marking midfielders and any other midfielder of quality pace/decisions/and-or marking is what we're needing to add. We need to get 3 or 4 more into our rotations over time.

Guys like Browne and Graham will / are developing into guys who can contribute around the ground... that's all you need.

And guys like Vickery, Post are still young enough to be played as key forwards.. not to forget Griffiths (he of the glass shoulders and the 100% record)

Top post Jack, except maybe on our needs ILO.

On Bling, well done to CC for getting this over the line early in the week.

Excellent return for the club for a player with long-term limitations that have perenially held him back.

Hopefully we use the picks wisely.

Leysy Days said:
Top post Jack, except maybe on our needs ILO.

On Bling, well done to CC for getting this over the line early in the week.

Excellent return for the club for a player with long-term limitations that have perenially held him back.

Hopefully we use the picks wisely.

Very good return for a player who came near last in the 15th team's B&F. Not sure a player with glaring long-term limitations would have secured an excellent return after such a bad year also compounded by injury concerns.

jb03 said:
I think you are demeaning pick 50 Evo. PLenty of gold taken 50 and beyond. Just need our recruiting team to find it.

That's right jb.

I heard Kevin Sheehan the other day on SEN and he said the first 50 players in this years draft are as good as any other draft in recent years. Did not think its a watered down draft at all.

I'm sorry Ritchie has gone and wish him well at Adelaide. I think without all the baggage he will turn into the player I thought he would become when I saw him as a junior. At then end of the day though I think it was the right move by the club, he clearly wasn't coping with life at the Tigers.

Disco08 said:
Very good return for a player who came near last in the 15th team's B&F. Not sure a player with glaring long-term limitations would have secured an excellent return after such a bad year also compounded by injury concerns.

Leysy has regularly mentioned Tamblings a better player than he's shown this year. The same as he said 09' was above what he can consistently deliver.

That latter is because of the limitations leysy has long pointed out.

If played in the right role he can fit somewhere in between & be a solid contributor for Adelaide.

The draft picks we've got give us the chance to hopefully get us something more than that.

So essentially Adelaide's footy department was unable to see what you can? Otherwise surely they'd have kept the picks, right?