Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

2010 Tambling is Scribbs, 2009 Tambling wouldn't be. It's as simple as the RFC making a decision on how likely they think he is to return to that form.

Scribblar said:
I'm tired of the injury excuses. I'm tired of the victim mentality.

Poor you.

TigerForce said:
He's not a 'kid' anymore Disco.

Mate, I know how old he is. Calling people considerably younger than yourself kid is common these days.

I think we have more to gain by keeping him getting him fit and playing a role that best suits his speed and skills. We wont get anywhere near a 4th pick for him so why not give him this next year to show he can be the player we all hoped/wanted him to be.

Scribblar said:
I'm tired of the injury excuses. I'm tired of the victim mentality.

I agree with this. There are people who look for excuses, and there are people who stay positive and do what they have to do to make it. From what I have seen, I believe Tambling has mental weakness. On top of that he has had many many injuries. I think you can get through with one of the two but when you have both mental weakenss and are very injury prone, the chances slim. I am very keen to see what other teams would offer for Tambling. If there are in fact many teams interested in Tambling then it could be a good offer.

Goody, until this year his career was doing fine as I've pointed out to Jimmy on a couple of occasions. 22 years old, improving and clearly in his team's best. Given he's had "many many injuries" wouldn't he need mental strength, not weakness, to achieve that result?

Granted this year was poor but I don't think mental weakness is something that strikes a player randomly.

In fact, if I had to go purely on the evidence at hand, I'd say he's a mentally strong character who had a bad season due to an interrupted preseason (fact), hip problems (fact) and playing a role he's been historically underwhelming in.

Of course some might call this excuse making for unknown reasons, but in reality it's only looking at the facts and putting 2 and 2 together.

Disco08 said:
Goody, until this year his career was doing fine as I've pointed out to Jimmy on a couple of occasions. 22 years old, improving and clearly in his team's best. Given he's had "many many injuries" wouldn't he need mental strength, not weakness, to achieve that result?

I guess it depends what you consider mental strength. On a number of occassionsin the past you'd have to question his mental strength, even when he was tracking adequately. You do realise also he is now 24, not 22. Some players are out of the game by 27-28. Everything has to go right for Tambling from this point on to get back the reward for the time and effort that has been placed in him. A good trade offer might be the tonic to give us our reward and give Tambling the best possible chance to succeed in the future.

I disagree he needs new scenery to succeed. He was doing fine here until this year. A good offer would be hard to refuse though given our position and I have no doubt Tambling would do well at another club if given a suitable role to play.

GoodOne said:
You do realise also he is now 24, not 22.

Yep. Was there something in my post that suggested otherwise?

GoodOne said:
On a number of occassionsin the past you'd have to question his mental strength, even when he was tracking adequately.

Such as?

Disco08 said:

Such as his jogging around doing nothing until he had his game-changing hypnotherapist session for example. In fact there has been a lot of this in his game in the past.

He wouldn't be the only example of a professional athlete needing help to deal with the pressures of playing in a national competition. Sports psychology is a massive industry for a reason. Seeking help doesn't imply mental weakness.

No doubt he earned his nickname by jogging when he should have been sprinting a few times but to put this down to mental weakness is a huge leap when you don't know the person. Perhaps the reason he appeared to lose that trait when Rawlings took over was because he was playing in a role that he's naturally good at.

Of course I don't know the person. It's just my opinion based on past events that he may be mentally weak. And that's in terms of playing AFL at the elite end of town. It is known that to succeed at the top level in any sport, for most, other than the absolute gifted, you need to have high mental strength. As you say many players need help to deal with the pressures. These players percentage-wise are likely to fail more than those who are able to cope more easily.

In Tambling's case, if he was ambling around because he wasn't being played in a role that he's naturally good at, I see that as mental weakness. The best players turn these situations into a positive and try harder to overcome their obstacles, not do less.

Again just an observation, I could be totally wrong. But even within the club I am sure there'd be differing opinions on Tambling and the reasons for his situation.

no point debating RT with disco it seems its his love child and is blind to the fact that RT has performed poorly and well below expectations.
RT at one point was the laughing stock of the competition, the fact that he strung a few average games together when he got his attitude right means little.

He is a lazy footballer that runs (jogs) around 5 metres behind the play, he lacks courage to win a hard ball, a guy that has his speed should be getting to more contests than most players, he should be chasing players don from behind than more players and he should be showing more dash and run and carry than most players???

he has the tools taht other players would die for, he just doesnt work hard enough...

DH has already indicated that unless RT can find a way to play BP there is no room in the team for him, therefore he is very limited IMO, a player that can only play BP??? trade him while we can get something for him, if he goes and plays great footy somewhere else so be it...

the RFC has raised the bar and therce for lazy mentally weak players anymore and disco can throw up all the stats and excuses he likes but IMO RT is a wasted talent

Tango said:
no point debating RT with disco it seems its his love child and is blind to the fact that RT has performed poorly and well below expectations.
RT at one point was the laughing stock of the competition, the fact that he strung a few average games together when he got his attitude right means little.

He is a lazy footballer that runs (jogs) around 5 metres behind the play, he lacks courage to win a hard ball, a guy that has his speed should be getting to more contests than most players, he should be chasing players don from behind than more players and he should be showing more dash and run and carry than most players???

he has the tools taht other players would die for, he just doesnt work hard enough...

DH has already indicated that unless RT can find a way to play BP there is no room in the team for him, therefore he is very limited IMO, a player that can only play BP??? trade him while we can get something for him, if he goes and plays great footy somewhere else so be it...

the RFC has raised the bar and therce for lazy mentally weak players anymore and disco can throw up all the stats and excuses he likes but IMO RT is a wasted talent

disagree.

Tango said:

Even though I am no big wrap for Richie I get surprised by the questioning of his courage, I've never thought he lacked in this area

Big Cat Lover said:
Even though I am no big wrap for Richie I get surprised by the questioning of his courage, I've never thought he lacked in this area
there is no point debating RT with tango.

explain why a footballer with his speed does not dominate the game? does not rack up possesions and is constantly caught behind the play or with the ball?

somebody without pace has an excuse but what is RT's?

yes there are plenty of players with speed in a similar situation and they all have a deficiency of some sort, courage/hardness, footy smarts or attitude.... which one is RT.s

dont know. i dont think he was fully fit this year, therefore couldnt run with the pace or endurance we expect.
he averaged 22 possies a game when he was fit in 2009.
so i reckon his main deficiency this year was fitness.

i know you will ignore the possibility that he was affected by injury this year but that is my opinion.

I agree there must have been something wrong physically this year and it was his main deficiency. He never has been a big numbers man with disposals. Reckon he is prone to go missing in games, almost gets "lost" on the field, which may be why he has been moved so often, trying to find his best position. Hope they try the BP.

positives and negatives about him playing BP

positives are he doesnt need to find the ball as it will come to him and his opponent
negatives are he needs to concentrate and play his man tight

he can play tall and has speed to burn off his opponent if he wins the ball, but can he defend one on one?

as i have said before he has all the tools to be a good footballer (better than many) but does he have the desire and attitude, or does he still just want to run around and pick up cheap kicks the other going forward.... to me he is still playing school yard footy and thats the way he likes to play

Tango said:

You've managed to miss the dozens of times I said he was poor this year somehow?

Tango said:
RT at one point was the laughing stock of the competition

Rubbish.

Tango said:
the fact that he strung a few average games together when he got his attitude right means little.

No bias here.

Tango said:
DH has already indicated that unless RT can find a way to play BP there is no room in the team for him

Really? When?

Tango said:

Depends if this year isn anomaly or not. If he gets back to his 2009 form and continues that through his career will he be a wasted talent IYO?

I suppose this has been mentioned but did anyone notice who was not mentioned in Dimma's JD Medal speech ?

Tambling was not mentioned - I will admit many others weren't and many others were but have his papers been stamped ? Also of note who was not mentioned were the main 3 backmen but Rance, Goo and Grimes were so there might have been a hidden message ?

Gotta say I am in the keep tambling camp, I think one more year, then reassess. I would hate to see us off load him for bugger all and for it to come back and bite us.

He was pretty good in the backline last year and he can hit a target, gotta try him there next year injury free, if for no other reason than it will be blood depressing for another first round draft pick to be a complete waste.