Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

zippadeee said:
Richmond are playing hard ball asking for a top 20 pick and a player, dont like there chances..

Is that what we are asking? I haven't seen that anywhere.
Don't like our chances if this is the case.

If that's what we feel he's worth to us then I'm happy they're asking for it.

Disco08 said:
Is that because he recently signed his contract or is the same true for all players?

No its the same for all players. Tambling's contract is with Richmond. Clubs cant just go and offload contracted players to other clubs at their will. If Tambling is to go somewhere else than he has to agree to the contract offered by the new club, otherwise he has every right to stay and have his contract honoured.

michael roach said:
''They haven't shopped him around but I have asked about the possibility of a trade. We'll see how we go,'' Nixon said yesterday.

On one hand this could be blessing in disguise but on the other it irritates me he is wanting out, the club has put so much time & money in him.

geoffryprettyboy said:
On one hand this could be blessing in disguise but on the other it irritates me he is wanting out, the club has put so much time & money in him.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.....

GoodOne said:
No its the same for all players. Tambling's contract is with Richmond. Clubs cant just go and offload contracted players to other clubs at their will. If Tambling is to go somewhere else than he has to agree to the contract offered by the new club, otherwise he has every right to stay and have his contract honoured.

I always thought the new club assumed the old contract unless an extension was negotiated.

I also had no idea that every player in the AFL has the power to veto their own trade if they want to. I thought that right was reserved for new recruits.

Disco08 said:
I always thought the new club assumed the old contract unless an extension was negotiated.

I also had no idea that every player in the AFL has the power to veto their own trade if they want to. I thought that right was reserved for new recruits.

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't the case. I can't see how the players association would ever agree to a rule that allowed any player to be traded to anywhere and the player having absolutely no say in the deal. To me it would be like a basic human right to have a say in whether you wanted to move or not when you are contracted to a club already.

Disco08 said:

You learn something new everyday disco! ;D

An example of point two was Kennedy when the Judd trade was put forward. He had to decide whether he wanted to go.

Disco08 said:

What's the point of a contract if a club can then ship you off anywhere? Once a contract is signed both parties are obliged to the terms of that contract. If the Tigers wished to cancel that contract for example, then they'd have to pay Tambling out. If Tambling wanted out, then by rights the Tigers could make him play on or make him stand out of footy for the contract period. Of course this doesn't benefit anyone, so what often happens instead is negotiations are made with a new club to take on the said contract but of course all parties have to agree. Contracts in footy are no different to any other contracts in business.

Harry said:
disco would you trade him for pick 12?

Yeah no doubt, especially if he's looking for a trade. I think his 2009 form is good enough to help us long term but his injuries worry me (hip problems don't often work out well) and fact is we're one year into a rebuild and the more premium picks we can accumlate the better chance there is of building a premiership contender around Martin, Cotchin and Reiwoldt.

I seriously doubt his trade value is that high though given the year he just had.

GoodOne said:
What's the point of a contract if a club can then ship you off anywhere? Once a contract is signed both parties are obliged to the terms of that contract. If the Tigers wished to cancel that contract for example, then they'd have to pay Tambling out. If Tambling wanted out, then by rights the Tigers could make him play on or make him stand out of footy for the contract period. Of course this doesn't benefit anyone, so what often happens instead is negotiations are made with a new club to take on the said contract but of course all parties have to agree. Contracts in footy are no different to any other contracts in business.

Contracts in business are irrelevant because companies don't trade employees.

In many other sports a player is traded along with their contract and the ability to veto a trade is reserved for new recruits and veterans who have earned that right. In US sports especially players signed to deals which are seen us below market value can often command an extreme premium.

I'm only really interested because Tambling may have more trade currency if his 2 year deal is considered to be good value by comparison.

Probably not, but I don't have the kind of insight into the current draft crop to really make an informed decision. Historically though the odds of finding a long term player plummet outisde the top 15 or 20.

Disco08 said:
Contracts in business are irrelevant because companies don't trade employees.

Either do clubs unless both player and club agrees to break the contract terms. A contract is a contract. Which other sports allow it without the consent of the player or as specifically specified in their contract when they signed up?

All the US sports. Most players in those leagues have no say at all where they end up and their contracts are often used to define their worth as the club trading for them is obliged to take them on whether they're good or bad. New recruits can't be traded without consent for X years to protect them from having to uproot their lives over and over and veterans earn veto rights after X amount of service.

Disco08 said:
All the US sports. Most players in those leagues have no say at all where they end up and their contracts are often used to define their worth as the club trading for them is obliged to take them on whether they're good or bad. New recruits can't be traded without consent for X years to protect them from having to uproot their lives over and over and veterans earn veto rights after X amount of service.

There must be stipulation in the contracts though that allow this. We are talking about the most litigous country in the world. But just for the point of discussion in particular the AFL, here's an excert from the AFL Rules and Regulations:

Trading period:
The trading period occurs shortly after the end of the season and allows clubs to trade players on that year's list to other clubs in exchange for other players, draft selections or a combination of both. The simplest form of this deal is to trade player A for player B, but often the deals are more complicated involving combinations of clubs, players and draft selections. Players involved must consent to the swap before a deal can be finalised and deals must be forwarded to the AFL by an agreed deadline.

So to answer the original question, a player cannot be traded without their consent.

Nice one, thanks. I'm amazed the players have so much power over clubs' ability to trade them TBH. In essence every AFL player has the same no trade clause that MLB players have to play 10 years minimum to earn already built into the laws of the game. Well done to the AFLPA I guess.

Balmey tried to trade Did's back to South Aust a few years ago but Did's had a contract and refused to be traded, didn't want to play anywhere but Scumwood.