Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Streak said:
Couldn't say if the issue was between him or the club Rosy, but when I saw the Tigers play the Swans in early July, I was really shocked at the comments being directed at him from sections of the crowd.

I'd question why he would want to or could be bothered staying? If all you get for your efforts is that sort of abuse, you'd have to question whther it was worth it.

Unproven but he would be ridiculously soft and mentally weak if that was the case.

rosy23 said:
It's not the type of mindset that would handle the pressure cooker finals atmosphere.

Totally agree.

rosy23 said:
I'd be surprised if Richie left due to supporter abuse, but if that was the case I'd happily bid him farewell. It's not the type of mindset that would handle the pressure cooker finals atmosphere.

I reckon there is a difference between copping a bit of stick and being systematically booed everytime he touches the ball. I've never heard any other player from any other club copping that sort of treatment and reflects pretty poorly on our supporters IMO.

Streak said:
Couldn't say if the issue was between him or the club Rosy, but when I saw the Tigers play the Swans in early July, I was really shocked at the comments being directed at him from sections of the crowd.

I'd question why he would want to or could be bothered staying? If all you get for your efforts is that sort of abuse, you'd have to question whther it was worth it.

Gee he has to be tougher than that Streaker. If every player who copped abuse from their own supporters wanted to leave the club then players would be moving around all over the place.

Hard to succeed in AFL football if you are mentally as weak as that.

Djevv said:
I reckon there is a difference between copping a bit of stick and being systematically booed everytime he touches the ball. I've never heard any other player from any other club copping that sort of treatment and reflects pretty poorly on our supporters IMO.

I'm not sure he is booed every time he touches the ball, in fact I think that's poppycock, and that's coming from sitting in amongst the crowd close to the action. He's cheered when he does well. He's reminded to put his body in there or chase harder when there's a contest. He's been given bronx cheers on 2 occasions I can think of but, ordinary as they were, they were a reflection on how he had been playing.

That kind of behaviour certainly isn't exclusive to Richmond supporters. How do you know who is doing the booing anyway? Opposition crowds love to get stuck into players as a reminder they aren't performing up to standard too.

rosy23 said:
Reading Ricky Nixon's (Tambo's manager) comments it sounds as though Richie has asked to be traded. To me that tends to indicate all's not well between him and the club. Still doesn't help solve the mystery as to why he continued to be selected when he was in such poor form. Something doesn't quite add up here.

After all we've been through with Ambling, if he asked to be traded then he can go get stuffed.

rosy23 said:
Comments and abuse from the peanut gallery is an unfortunate part of football. Players need to have the right mindset to not be offended by it or let it impact on their game. All clubs have supporters who do it so changing clubs wouldn't be a guarantee of avoiding it.

Joel Bowden is one who used to absolutely cop heaps from the members reserved area we sat in. Kayne Pettifer was another crowds really got stuck into. Jack copped heaps of ordinary comments in Round 1.

I'd be surprised if Richie left due to supporter abuse, but if that was the case I'd happily bid him farewell. It's not the type of mindset that would handle the pressure cooker finals atmosphere.

Leysy agrees with all that.

rosy23 said:
He's been given bronx cheers on 2 occasions I can think of but, ordinary as they were, they were a reflection on how he had been playing.
The bronx cheers every time he went near it on two occasions so loud and constant that it was obvious from TV what was going on. You think it is OK, I don't. I think it is appalling behavior and like I said I don't remember any player getting that from their supporters ever. Don't even think of trying to convnce me it wasn't Richmond supporters. I don't blame him for wanting to leave - he will be an excellent pick-up for some club, sadly not for us.

Djevv said:
You think it is OK, I don't.

Care to justify that comment? I don't think it's ok at all and I said it's unfortunate. It isn't exclusive to Richard Tambling or to Richmond supporters though. I doubt perceptions from watching on telly would reflect the reality of what happens week in week out at the ground.

Good grief, now we want to blame Bronx cheers.

So go to the football, sit on your hands and what ever you do don't send a negative thought into the universe because a player may want to leave and that is the supporters fault.

Good grief.

Djevv said:
The bronx cheers every time he went near it on two occasions so loud and constant that it was obvious from TV what was going on. You think it is OK, I don't. I think it is appalling behavior and like I said I don't remember any player getting that from their supporters ever. Don't even think of trying to convnce me it wasn't Richmond supporters. I don't blame him for wanting to leave - he will be an excellent pick-up for some club, sadly not for us.
You sound just as soft as Tambling.

I honestly doubt he's asked to be traded because of crowd abuse etc. If it's true I imagine it's because he's not confident of playing the role the coaches have told him he's going to be asked to play and wants to go to a club that will give him opportunities to play the roles he thinks he can perform best at.

Tambling wont be abused at by the crowd if he actually breaks a sweat for a change. If your lazy you cop what you cop. At least with someone like Jake King you know he puts in all the time so while he may stuff up you dont boo him cause he is having a red hot crack. Time to be ruthless with the guys who aren't willing to work. And if someone says he does work hard then you obviously havn't been watching him closely. No second efforts and isnt willing to push himself. Typical richmond player, they find a comfort zone and stay there.

Disco08 said:
I honestly doubt he's asked to be traded because of crowd abuse etc. If it's true I imagine it's because he's not confident of playing the role the coaches have told him he's going to be asked to play and wants to go to a club that will give him opportunities to play the roles he thinks he can perform best at.

I think that's it as well, and maybe with some advice from the footy dept. Beavis did say early on the piece that he wanted players who could execute his game plan and that if they couldn't, not matter how skillful, he had no need for them.

SCOOP said:
Good grief, now we want to blame Bronx cheers.

So go to the football, sit on your hands and what ever you do don't send a negative thought into the universe because a player may want to leave and that is the supporters fault.

Good grief.
Exactly. Richo is his earlier days was given hard time by people in the crowd (both Richmond supporters and opposition supporters). Yet he came through it and is now regarded as a champion of the game. This separates the boys from the men. Playing football or any type of competitive sport is a tough gig. Having the ability to stay mentally strong during the tough times is what makes you stand out from the rest.

If Tambling cant cope with that then he will never be able to fulfill his potential.

Age article insinuates he simply may want a fresh start. I would have thought he would have gotten that under Hardwick.
Sounds as if he is struggling either mentally or with the game plan.

Don't agree, Harry.

It is the worst time imaginable to trade him. We will get half of stuff-all.

I agree with Duckman's work. His best is still ahead of him. Cameron should try and mend any broken bridges (if they exist)

Djevv said:

Now that is complete exaggeration - the only time I have heard him "booed" was at the Nth melb game this year and they were bronx cheers not boos

Surely it would not happen if there was not frustration with Richie from the supporter standpoint?

Unless we get something under 20 we should persist with him

Think he copped some during the first encounter with the Dogs last year. Probably not completely unwarranted either. As long as the same people booing/Bronx cheering applaud his good work I don't see the problem.