Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

zippadeee said:
Tambling leaving wont change the balance or struture of club, losing tambling will unearth someone else in his place and this will happen to many others in the future. I was always told love the jumper, and dont worry who isnt wearing it any more..

Agreed, but given how long it took the like Montagna (stk) and Boyd (wb) to become the players they are now, it also won;t hurt for Ritchie to have another season if ends up staying IMO.

Phar Ace said:
He is an upgrade/better than Sherman and we'd need more than just Sherman and his reported exorbitant salary to make the deal.

In 2009 when Tambling had his best period, he amassed 23 goal contributions which included 8 goals for the season. Playing a similar role, admittedly for a much better team, Sherman, had 43 contributions including 30 goals. I am not sure where the belief comes from that Tambling is a better player than Sherman. Certainly not based on past seasons' performances.

I agree though, Sherman's salary may be a stumbling block to getting a trade done. What were Brisbane thinking when they backloaed their contracts. First Fevola, now Sherman, and worth big bucks too.

Goldie!! I recall last year when i went up to Brisbane for the crows game. sitting next to me and behind me where the recriuting guys from Gold Coast (shane Clayton etc). They were in Melbourne for the TAC championships The bloke next to me was a Doggies supporter. For the entire flight he kept on telling me that Delidio wasnt a number 1 draft pick and that Tambling would go down as the worst top 5 pick ever. I sat there listening to him can Wallace and Miller. I was defending lids and tambo by the only way i know, criticising the doggies for always chocking when it counts etc.
I wonder if Tambling wasn't contracted if the Gold Coast would've targeted by him???

Tambling if traded will haunt us big time. I believe he will not be traded unless an exceptional offer is forthcoming.

GEDS1 said:
Tambling if traded will haunt us big time. I believe he will not be traded unless an exceptional offer is forthcoming.

The rumor is we won't trade him unless we get a top 20 draft pick. Only a rumor, but that's a good sign.

GEDS1 said:

Selecting him at pick 4 has haunted us for the last 6 years, that's why this monster thread continues. More seasons of guaranteed mediocrity at Richmond hurts this club far more than the possibility he might be successful somewhere else.

skiptomystu said:
The rumor is we won't trade him unless we get a top 20 draft pick. Only a rumor, but that's a good sign.

On that basis it means a trade to GC right? Cant see anyone else giving up their top 20 pick for Tambling. Wonder if GC are interested.

GoodOne said:
Thought you were talking about yourself for a minute there. Tambling cannot kick goals, has no goal sense whatsoever. Apparently you watch the game, I am starting to wonder.

There you go again. Explain to me how a player who's kicked 61 AFL goals can have no ability to kick goals and no goal sense whatsoever? I agree he doesn't play well as a permanent forward but it's these childish exagerrations that keep these pointless discussions going. It's no wonder Redford ended up calling you wrongone all the time Goody.

GoodOne said:
No, not at all. Unless you get paid a free against everytime you get caught.

You don't think it's logical that a player with no awareness would get caught holding the ball considerably more than a player with good awareness? Next you'll be maintaining that the damning stats you disingenuously presented that actually put Tambling on par with other players also somehow prove he has no awareness.

tigertim said:
Simple. He went no 4 in the 2004 ND. He's played 100 games. Every club thinks they can "turn around" a top 10 pick career when it has't been going so well.

It's not that simple Tim. If any player was as bad as is being made out by people like Scribblar no club would touch them. It wouldn't matter if they were pick 1 or pick 4 or pick 50. No clubs are that stupid and it's completely illogical to assume they are.

Tygrys said:
Selecting him at pick 4 has haunted us for the last 6 years, that's why this monster thread continues. More seasons of guaranteed mediocrity at Richmond hurts this club far more than the possibility he might be successful somewhere else.

This topic has been so overdone because those critical of him exagerrate the bad and demean the good. Those with time for him are usually not troubled to admit he's had some shockers, took time to develop, struggles as a permanent forward and had a very poor year this year. Many of the haters seem totally incapable of conceding any of his positives.

GoodOne said:
On that basis it means a trade to GC right? Cant see anyone else giving up their top 20 pick for Tambling. Wonder if GC are interested.
Then he stays.Simple as that

Disco08 said:
This topic has been so overdone because those critical of him exagerrate the bad and demean the good. Those with time for him are usually not troubled to admit he's had some shockers, took time to develop, struggles as a permanent forward and had a very poor year this year. Many of the haters seem totally incapable of conceding any of his positives.

Agree entirely. Sums it up perfectly. I really hope he stays, and gets fit. I would understand if he left too and wouldn't be too upset.

KiwiTig said:
Agree entirely. Sums it up perfectly. I really hope he stays, and gets fit. I would understand if he left too and wouldn't be too upset.

I think the more balanced types think similarly Kiwi - which I admit is strange thing to say to a Kiwi ;D

Disco08 said:
There you go again. Explain to me how a player who's kicked 61 AFL goals can have no ability to kick goals and no goal sense whatsoever? I agree he doesn't play well as a permanent forward but it's these childish exagerrations that keep these pointless discussions going. It's no wonder Redford ended up calling you wrongone all the time Goody.

Who's Redford?. 61 goals in 6 seasons. Quick open up the champagne. Again just because you dont agree doesn't mean its childish exaggerations. The only thing that keeps these pointless discussions going is your incessant need to go on and on about it. Basically condemning anyone and everyone who has a bad thing to say about Tambling. Seems to be a trait of yours amongst many threads. Anyway I digress. So you agree he doesn't play well as a forward? So what are we arguing about? Oh yes goal sense. If Tambling has natural goal sense then we may as well throw McGuane up there and call him Didak. Do you understand what I mean by goal sense?

Disco08 said:
You don't think it's logical that a player with no awareness would get caught holding the ball considerably more than a player with good awareness? Next you'll be maintaining that the damning stats you disingenuously presented that actually put Tambling on par with other players also somehow prove he has no awareness.

Would think amount of ball you get, position played, outside or in, and a number of other factors would all have a bearing on it. Number of times caught holding the ball is hardly the bearing of awareness. Your favourite comparison Martin was caught something like 18 times in the season, one of the players most agree has very limited awareness, Koschitzke had 6 frees against in possession for the season. Hopefully that ends this particular silly discussion on the topic of awareness versus frees against in possession.

Goody, goal sense is what someone like Cyril or Daisy have lots of. Other players have it but not to their level and Tambling is one of those players. Rather than exaggerate and say he has absolutely none whatsoever just acknowledge that and we can agree calmly and move on. :)

The same with his 61 goals in 6 seasons. There's no need to belittle the achievement with average attempts at sarcasm. It simply proves he's not a prolific goalkicker but from time to time he can kick a goal. He kicked 4 in a quarter once. Have you not actually noticed him kicking some very nice goals in his 6 years so far?

GoodOne said:
Again just because you dont agree doesn't mean its childish exaggerations. The only thing that keeps these pointless discussions going is your incessant need to go on and on about it. Basically condemning anyone and everyone who has a bad thing to say about Tambling. Seems to be a trait of yours amongst many threads.

Sorry, but they are certainly exaggerations and IMO they are quite childish.

If I'm not mistaken, this particular discussion was initiated by you running off some bogus conclusions you'd come to using stats in response to a question I'd asked Leysy about Justin Sherman. If you want to rid the forum of these pointless discussions, stop posting stuff that's obviously wrong.

GoodOne said:
Would think amount of ball you get, position played, outside or in, and a number of other factors would all have a bearing on it. Number of times caught holding the ball is hardly the bearing of awareness. Your favourite comparison Martin was caught something like 18 times in the season, one of the players most agree has very limited awareness, Koschitzke had 6 frees against in possession for the season. Hopefully that ends this particular silly discussion on the topic of awareness versus frees against in possession.

No worries. The stats you brought up earlier showed clearly enough that Tambling doesn't actually get caught with the ball more than usual anyway.

Disco08 said:

I don't believe many are haters. They are just incredibly frustrated with Ritchie.

The reason the topic is so overdone is because Tambling is a complete enigma still 6 years after being taken at pick 4.
No one really knows if he's good or bad and no one still knows what position he plays.
:brickwall

If he's an enigma it's only because of this poor season. Up 'til then his career was moving along well.

We know he can be good and we know he can also be bad. We just don't know which he's going to be going forward. We also all know pretty well which positions he's done well in and which ones he hasn't.

Agree there's not many haters though. Most people are reasonable enough to see that it's not all good or all bad.

Reading Ricky Nixon's (Tambo's manager) comments it sounds as though Richie has asked to be traded. To me that tends to indicate all's not well between him and the club. Still doesn't help solve the mystery as to why he continued to be selected when he was in such poor form. Something doesn't quite add up here.

rosy23 said:
Reading Ricky Nixon's (Tambo's manager) comments it sounds as though Richie has asked to be traded. To me that tends to indicate all's not well between him and the club. Still doesn't help solve the mystery as to why he continued to be selected when he was in such poor form. Something doesn't quite add up here.

Couldn't say if the issue was between him or the club Rosy, but when I saw the Tigers play the Swans in early July, I was really shocked at the comments being directed at him from sections of the crowd.

I'd question why he would want to or could be bothered staying? If all you get for your efforts is that sort of abuse, you'd have to question whther it was worth it.

rosy23 said:

Yeah I'm struggling to understand the whole Tambling saga as well.

What I will say though is that I'm pretty disappointed. Richie always has and will continue to be one of my favourite players, I just hope we get fair compensation for him because I still think he can become a very good player.

Streak said:
Couldn't say if the issue was between him or the club Rosy, but when I saw the Tigers play the Swans in early July, I was really shocked at the comments being directed at him from sections of the crowd.

I'd question why he would want to or could be bothered staying? If all you get for your efforts is that sort of abuse, you'd have to question whther it was worth it.

Comments and abuse from the peanut gallery is an unfortunate part of football. Players need to have the right mindset to not be offended by it or let it impact on their game. All clubs have supporters who do it so changing clubs wouldn't be a guarantee of avoiding it.

Joel Bowden is one who used to absolutely cop heaps from the members reserved area we sat in. Kayne Pettifer was another crowds really got stuck into. Jack copped heaps of ordinary comments in Round 1.

I'd be surprised if Richie left due to supporter abuse, but if that was the case I'd happily bid him farewell. It's not the type of mindset that would handle the pressure cooker finals atmosphere.