Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Disco08 said:
Interesting these top teams see him as someone able to help in an area that we've also expressed a need in.

Yep, and I haven't seen that much of Rickie to suggest he will be this type of player. Mind you, with a bit more support like we are now developing in the middle, he might find life easier.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
ritchie might have requested a trade. i dont know, but its explainable and do you blame him?

Tambling will never get an easier gig than what he has experienced at Richmond including the apologists ready to make excuses for him. His pick 4 selection and what Franklin has done at 5 has guaranteed him every opportunity to prove himself even when he hasn't deserved it. At another club next year he'd be on his last chance - coaches, selectors, supporters, fans etc will cut him no slack at all, nothing. He could easily end up another Aaron Fiora. If he's actually asked to be transferred I'd be surprised, considering what he's got to loose you'd think he'd be begging to stay.

Re: Justin Sherman

GoodOne said:
Sherman per game: 43.4% more inside 50s, 23.8% more rebound 50s, 33.3% more clearances, 64.7% more run and bounce, 30.7% more handball receives, even 20% more marks inside 50. Remember this is per game. Sherman clearly works harder up and down the ground (43.4% more inside 50s even though according to you Tambling was playing half forward).

The top 22 players in the inside 50 rankings are midfielders, followed by Cloke at 23 and another dozen or so mids. It's clearly a "midfield stat" as are clearances, handball receives, run and bounce and even rebound 50's. How many permanent half forwards get back inside defensive 50 regularly?

Perhaps it would be more intuitive to have a look at those same stats for last year when both players played similar roles.

GoodOne said:
Here is the damning stat though, one I brought up this year. Tambling had 15 possessions per game yet only had 12.8 disposals per game. That means getting caught over 2 times per game from just 15 possessions. Sherman (and most others) in comparison 16.9 possessions and 16.2 disposals. Tambling simply has no awareness.

Yet both of them gave away 5 free kicks while in possession for the year.

Also, not sure where your stats are from but the RFC site has Tambling at 163 disposals and 165 possessions. Martin has 8 more possessions to disposals. How's his awareness IYO?

GoodOne said:
Sherman is the outside player who breaks the lines and moves the ball quickly that Hardwick is talking about. He would be a perfect choice as long as we don't give too much for him, PSD would be perfect, otherwise a straight swap for Tambling would probably do both of them the world of good.

Agree with that. Tambling should benefit from being played in his preferred position. Rawling's obviously recognised that (and was rewarded with easily Tambling's best form) so being reunited with him seems an ideal situation. Rumoured interest from the Dogs and Saints would also seem to have a similar role in mind for him. Not sure why we can't see his potential in that role ourselves and use it to our advantage though. Perhaps the RFC is less than confident about his chances of returning to form after his hip and calf operations.

"If I had my way, it would be as an attacking midfielder that is allowed to roam free, but it never happens,"

"We are working on, how do I say this, we are working on winning behaviours. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it improves each other ... and we play as a team and win as a team."

Is from an article earlier in the year. Perhaps they've discussed it and decided the role doesn't exist for him at Richmond and they're happy to let him pursue it elsewhere. That might explain the press reporting that "both parties are happy to move on."

josey said:
Have the Saints or Dogs expressed it or is it media speculation?

It's only media suggestion but from both points of view it would make sense (assuming the interest is actually there). Both teams seem pretty set in the back half which would be the other spot Tambling would seem to suited to.

The problem to me is that we have expressed a need for outside running mids . If we traded to the saints or the dogs they would want Tambo because he is an outside running mid so if it involves a swap with them for a player we are not going to get a similar player in return . If we get a draft pick is that pick likely to turn out better than he is ? They may be thinking that a good pick for Tambo could be part of a deal to get Mundy from Freo , plus a player like one of the key backs . The other thing to remember is that Richie is by all reports a really popular guy at the Club and a top person . We have to consider what that means when the gains may be negligible .

Disco08 said:
"If I had my way, it would be as an attacking midfielder that is allowed to roam free, but it never happens,"

"We are working on, how do I say this, we are working on winning behaviours. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it improves each other ... and we play as a team and win as a team."

Is from an article earlier in the year. Perhaps they've discussed it and decided the role doesn't exist for him at Richmond and they're happy to let him pursue it elsewhere. That might explain the press reporting that "both parties are happy to move on."
/quote]

I don't doubt Tambling would like to play this way but unfortunately for him only the very elite are given the attacking role with a license to roam. I am thinking of guys like Goddard, Ablett and Swan.

I would be surprised if any other club would allow Tambling to take on this role.

I do agree though, if he is to be traded it will be to a club that is after a running defender, although I suspect that it is a position that most clubs would try to fill through the draft.

It would not surprise me if he remains a Tiger.

If it's a role that we need to find someone to fill, I reckon it only matters if he's better than our current options josey. I don't think he's hopeless as a two way player either. He's pretty decent at winning his own ball and didn't get torn up by his opponents playing that type of role under Rawlings.

Disco08 said:
If it's a role that we need to find someone to fill, I reckon it only matters if he's better than our current options josey. I don't think he's hopeless as a two way player either. He's pretty decent at winning his own ball and didn't get torn up by his opponents playing that type of role under Rawlings.

I think I am with those who would like to see him running off half back, preferably at Richmond.

I do have some concerns regarding his defensive skills though, but as you say if he is able to get back to his 09 form it would release either Deledio or Connors into the midfield.

Both of these guys would be better suited to the midfield role that Tambling would prefer.

i believe that if tambling is actually traded it will be to brisbane tambling & our 2nd pick - sherman & their compo(20-22) pick for rischitelli

jade rawling loves him & bling played his best whilst rawlings was caretaker coach so will be on a pro-bling bandwagon at brisbane.

houli for polo looks about par for both teams.

In my simple opinion Tambling is a running half back flanker and if we are not going to play him there then we may as well get something in return and allow him to go and show his wares elsewhere.

turk-d-tiger said:
i believe that if tambling is actually traded it will be to brisbane tambling & our 2nd pick - sherman & their compo(20-22) pick for rischitelli

jade rawling loves him & bling played his best whilst rawlings was caretaker coach so will be on a pro-bling bandwagon at brisbane.

I think that is how it will pan our too Turk - though i concede we may end up swapping picks too in the Houli/Polo trade (RFC downgrading sadly)

brigadiertiger said:
In my simple opinion Tambling is a running half back flanker and if we are not going to play him there then we may as well get something in return and allow him to go and show his wares elsewhere.

Agree totally. No speculation about him being an attacking midfielder. He can't kick goals. And he's no good in tight. Needs everything in front of him. Half back flank is perfect for him to use the space and kick to possession (his skill level whilst not under pressure is excellent).

turk-d-tiger said:

LMAO.....they deserve each other.

Disco08 said:
Also, not sure where your stats are from but the RFC site has Tambling at 163 disposals and 165 possessions. Martin has 8 more possessions to disposals. How's his awareness IYO?

Hmm I see. For the whole season there were only two times Tambling didnt dispose of a possession? Think you want to look elsewhere for your stats. Pro-stats perhaps. For the record, Tambling averaged 15 possessions but had 12.8 disposals per game. Martin had 24.6 possessions and 20.5 disposals. Percentage-wise not too much difference but Martin's contested possession against uncontested possession was 46%, Tambling's 40%. Martin also had 4.7 1st possessions per game as oppsed to 0.8 for Tambling. We obviously know that Martin is an inside midifelder so is going to get the ball first more often and therefore is going to be caught a bit more than the average player. Martin is also 18 years old in his first season of footy. Why the comparison with our youngest player in the team? There is no doubt that Martin's awareness needs work. All 1st year players do. I feel that he excelled in other areas well beyond Tambling, do you?

GoodOne said:
Hmm I see. For the whole season there were only two times Tambling didnt dispose of a possession? Think you want to look elsewhere for your stats. Pro-stats perhaps. For the record, Tambling averaged 15 possessions but had 12.8 disposals per game. Martin had 24.6 possessions and 20.5 disposals. Percentage-wise not too much difference but Martin's contested possession against uncontested possession was 46%, Tambling's 40%. Martin also had 4.7 1st possessions per game as oppsed to 0.8 for Tambling. We obviously know that Martin is an inside midifelder so is going to get the ball first more often and therefore is going to be caught a bit more than the average player. Martin is also 18 years old in his first season of footy. Why the comparison with our youngest player in the team? There is no doubt that Martin's awareness needs work. All 1st year players do. I feel that he excelled in other areas well beyond Tambling, do you?

Not touching the fact he only had 5 frees paid against him while in possession this year? You'd reckon a player who has simply no awareness would get caught and penalised a lot more no?

Sorry, I thought you'd used the official AFL site for those stats earlier in the year. Not sure why you're asking me though, I don't collate the stats or present them for public consumption, do I?

FTR, Richmond had 8275 possessions this year and 7485 disposals according to Pro-stats. That's a ratio of 90% of possessions that resulted in a disposal. Tambling's ratio is 85%. Cotchin's is 86%, Martin's 83%, Tuck's 85% and King's 83%. The reason I list those players is because they were the only players on Richmond's list this year to win the ball for themselves 60% or more of the time they had a disposal. All were between 60% and 65%. They were also the only players on the list whose contested possession rate was 40% or above.

Now, keeping that in mind, can you tell me how these stats somehow damn Tambling and prove he simply has no awareness?

GoodOne said:
Martin also had 4.7 1st possessions per game as oppsed to 0.8 for Tambling. We obviously know that Martin is an inside midifelder so is going to get the ball first more often and therefore is going to be caught a bit more than the average player. Martin is also 18 years old in his first season of footy. Why the comparison with our youngest player in the team? There is no doubt that Martin's awareness needs work. All 1st year players do. I feel that he excelled in other areas well beyond Tambling, do you?

Of course I do, hence the comparison and rhetorical question. I think Martin has excellent awareness.

GoodOne said:
Agree totally. No speculation about him being an attacking midfielder. He can't kick goals. And he's no good in tight. Needs everything in front of him.

Unbelievable the way you keep repeating inane points that have been disproved time and again.