Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

I was actually responding to the "It's not as if even when he was playing at his best in 2009 that Richie was exceptional" line from your previous post.

Tigers of Old said:
Can't find one where statistically form has tapered so dramatically as Tambling's but plenty have had major dips in form even if the reductions in their raw numbers aren't so obvious. Kayne Pettifer would be a recent case in point.

Pettifer's from was very consistent up until he blew his knee out.

Completely disagree that many have had major, unexplained dips.

Disco08 said:
I was actually responding to the "It's not as if even when he was playing at his best in 2009 that Richie was exceptional" line from your previous post.

Pettifer's from was very consistent up until he blew his knee out.

Completely disagree that many have had major, unexplained dips.

Fair enough.
We'll see Disco. If he's traded by Hardwick my guess is there's more going on inside Richie than purely physical injuries.

ritchie might have requested a trade. i dont know, but its explainable and do you blame him?

LidsBling&Cotch said:
do you blame him?

I would. He got given more games than most under performing player this year and was brought straight back into the team after injuries. For someone so down on form to get so many games would mean the club did give him every chance.

If he's asking for a trade because there aren't enough Disco08s out there in RFC Supporter Land to defend him, then he'll never make it as an AFL player.

Tigers of Old said:
I'd hope that's not the case but he has carried an awfully big monkey around Lids.

well thats it. i also believe he needs a fresh start so its plausible that he has asked to be moved on

Baloo said:
I would. He got given more games than most under performing player this year and was brought straight back into the team after injuries. For someone so down on form to get so many games would mean the club did give him every chance.

If he's asking for a trade because there aren't enough Disco08s out there in RFC Supporter Land to defend him, then he'll never make it as an AFL player.

simplistic outlook IMO baloo. he didn't pick himself and for whatever reasons he kept on getting picked so i would suggest he is a very very good trainer and clubman and prepares himself well.

his best is good enough, no doubt and i hope he stays but my money is on him leaving and becoming a fine fine player so i hope we get the right trade

Dead Last said:
Had a laugh to myself the other day on the way to work. Wallace was going on about if Gold Coast had have entered the comp in 2005, which players they would have ended up with & how strong they would have been by now. He mentioned Franklin,Roughead ,Deledio & quite a few more, yet there was no mention of Tambling.

That's because Tambling was taken at 4 and GC dont have Pick 4.

Prob good move if we signed him but intend to trade him & if signed at least gives us the upper hand if someone really wants him.I thought there was a rule that stopped clubs trading players after signing contracts (Woewodin)

Re: Justin Sherman

Disco08 said:
He was pretty sh!t this year. Why should we expect him to turn it around moreso than Tambling Leysy?

Here's your answer, even for a relatively poor season he still easily outperformed Tambling:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=20&pid2=1527&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

or if that doesnt convince you last years stats might when Tambling apparently had his best season:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=20&pid2=1527&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2009&fid2=P&fopt2=2009

Sherman is simply much better at what Hardwick was looking for out of Tambling. I'd trade Sherman for Tambling, would most likely benefit both of them.

French Tiger said:
Prob good move if we signed him but intend to trade him & if signed at least gives us the upper hand if someone really wants him.I thought there was a rule that stopped clubs trading players after signing contracts (Woewodin)
As long as the player agrees Frenchie.

GoodOne said:
Here's your answer, even for a relatively poor season he still easily outperformed Tambling:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=20&pid2=1527&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

or if that doesnt convince you last years stats might when Tambling apparently had his best season:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=20&pid2=1527&type=A&fid1=P&fopt1=2009&fid2=P&fopt2=2009

Sherman is simply much better at what Hardwick was looking for out of Tambling. I'd trade Sherman for Tambling, would most likely benefit both of them.

Bling's got him covered in hitouts Goody. 8)

GoodOne said:

This year, playing mostly on the ball, Sherman managed to get it an entire 3 more times a game than Tambling who played mainly forward. Tambling won more of the ball for himself and made more effective tackles and 1%ers. Tambling also turned it over less and made less skill errors. Tambling also had a better ratio of kicks that went to his team's advantage and spent over 10% less time on the ground per match.

Neither of these players had a good year whichever way you look at it. If you can explain to me how you drew the conclusion that Sherman easily outperformed Tambling I'd be very appreciative.

GoodOne said:

Tambling got more of the ball (less TOG), won more of it himself, turned it over less and had a far higher ratio of kicks to the team's advantage. Sherman kicked more goals and had a good year but again I can't see anything in the stats to suggest he is easily outperforming Tambling.

Tambling was far better across the board in 2008 FWIW too.

With that in mind can you tell me why Sherman's more likely to return to form?

Disco08 said:
This year, playing mostly on the ball, Sherman managed to get it an entire 3 more times a game than Tambling who played mainly forward. Tambling won more of the ball for himself and made more effective tackles and 1%ers. Tambling also turned it over less and made less skill errors. Tambling also had a better ratio of kicks that went to his team's advantage and spent over 10% less time on the ground per match.

Neither of these players had a good year whichever way you look at it. If you can explain to me how you drew the conclusion that Sherman easily outperformed Tambling I'd be very appreciative.

You've convinced me. Tambling is better than Sherman. We should keep him.

GoodOne said:
You've convinced me. Tambling is better than Sherman. We should keep him.

Should we keep him if we can get a late first round or second round pick?

I believe we are looking at off loading Bling but it is only media speculation that it is for Sherman or Houli.

Disco08 said:

Tambling got more of the ball (less TOG), won more of it himself, turned it over less and had a far higher ratio of kicks to the team's advantage. Sherman kicked more goals and had a good year but again I can't see anything in the stats to suggest he is easily outperforming Tambling.

Tambling was far better across the board in 2008 FWIW too.

With that in mind can you tell me why Sherman's more likely to return to form?

I can play the game.

Sherman per game: 43.4% more inside 50s, 23.8% more rebound 50s, 33.3% more clearances, 64.7% more run and bounce, 30.7% more handball receives, even 20% more marks inside 50. Remember this is per game. Sherman clearly works harder up and down the ground (43.4% more inside 50s even though according to you Tambling was playing half forward).

Here is the damning stat though, one I brought up this year. Tambling had 15 possessions per game yet only had 12.8 disposals per game. That means getting caught over 2 times per game from just 15 possessions. Sherman (and most others) in comparison 16.9 possessions and 16.2 disposals. Tambling simply has no awareness.

Sherman is the outside player who breaks the lines and moves the ball quickly that Hardwick is talking about. He would be a perfect choice as long as we don't give too much for him, PSD would be perfect, otherwise a straight swap for Tambling would probably do both of them the world of good.

H/S reckon that the saints and the doggies ( especially after the lose Hardbrow) will chase tambling,
hill and Everett may be used as part of the trade.. or the might use the pick they get for hardbrow.
If the saints want him, Richmond should throw in thursfield and try to get Mcvoy

A lot of the press seems to suggest teams want him for his attacking midfield abilities. Certainly the Saints seem all set in the back half and need someone to play the role they had in mind for Lovett. Harbrow also seems to be playing predominantly a roaming midfield role after starting out as a running defender.

Interesting these top teams see him as someone able to help in an area that we've also expressed a need in.

Disco08 said:
A lot of the press seems to suggest teams want him for his attacking midfield abilities. Certainly the Saints seem all set in the back half and need someone to play the role they had in mind for Lovett. Harbrow also seems to be playing predominantly a roaming midfield role after starting out as a running defender.

Interesting these top teams see him as someone able to help in an area that we've also expressed a need in.

Have the Saints or Dogs expressed it or is it media speculation?