Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

should be dealing with port...he'd already know Rodan and Shultz..

and we've done some deals with them in recent history...

Tigers of Old said:
Some clubs out there might believe his lack of form this year is injury related. I think he still has reasonable currency.
You obviously still think he's worth plenty.

I think he's worth whatever his form last year warrants unless his injuries are likely to be chronic which the RFC should have a good idea about.

Disco08 said:
I think he's worth whatever his form last year warrants unless his injuries are likely to be chronic which the RFC should have a good idea about.

By last year do you mean his 2009 or 2010 form Disco? Surely most current form would have more influence on a player's market value, but previous better form should be taken into consideration.

Tigers of Old said:
Richie won't land you one of those skippa.
McGuane or Thursfield might.
If Melb can get pick 11 for McClean then surely we could get the same[thereabouts] for Tambling.

rosy23 said:
By last year do you mean his 2009 or 2010 form Disco? Surely most current form would have more influence on a player's market value, but previous better form should be taken into consideration.

Yeah his 2010 form would severely lower his value IMO rosy. But having invested 6 years in him, presuming his injuries are overcomable, I think his worth to the RFC should be based on his 2009 form.

Disco08 said:

4th in the B&F in a side that won 5 games, followed by what was served up this year? Not sure that would be worth a great deal.

IMO you just can't overlook this year, whatever the reasons are/were for his form. He was a passenger, and there are certainly no guarantees he will reach the "heights" of 2009, which IMO have been exaggerated anyway.

Disco08 said:
I think his worth to the RFC should be based on his 2009 form.

Yep they're the only ones in the position to possibly know why he was so poor this season. 2009 form would be way more of a factor in the decision from our pov compared to how the opposition would weigh it all up.

Richie was incredibly disappointing but we all know he is capable of better. Without knowing the reasons for the slump we don't know how likely future improvment is. Whether we keep or trade I hope we get it right either way. No matter where he ends up next season I'll be hoping for him to fulfil his potential as an AFL player.

Agree with all that.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
4th in the B&F in a side that won 5 games, followed by what was served up this year? Not sure that would be worth a great deal.

IMO you just can't overlook this year, whatever the reasons are/were for his form. He was a passenger, and there are certainly no guarantees he will reach the "heights" of 2009, which IMO have been exaggerated anyway.

The RFC should have enough info to decide whether or not to overlook this year.

I reckon the constant injuries (and often mental application issues) would be playing high in the mind of the Tiger hierarchy. Not sure we're ever going to get any long term consistency out of him. Needs everything to go right from here.

GoodOne said:
I reckon the constant injuries (and often mental application issues) would be playing high in the mind of the Tiger hierarchy. Not sure we're ever going to get any long term consistency out of him. Needs everything to go right from here.

IMHO Tambling has had his fair share of opportunity to show what he can do. Granted, he has played all over the field, but it still comes down to the individual and from what I've seen since 2004, Tambling does not
cut it.

He's presently injured, his 2010 season was pretty average at best. Everyone on PRE bagged *smile* for being a poor player and rightly so, too slow, too lazy, not consistent enough to show what sort of player he could
be, after 8 years at RFC, he got shunted to Port, hooray went everyone.

Tambling I think is a better player than *smile*, but just how much time do you give someone, who by rights should be at the peak of their game at 23-24 through to 28 or longer. Its a tough call, but Dimma has obviously
felt that Tambling may be a better trade option rather than playing on for the Tigers. Of course there is the minor issue of Tambling being contracted for another 2 seasons at RFC, the best trade I can think of is that he should
be traded to Gold Coast, but I can't see it happening. If no club wants Tambling then if anything it serves as a massive wake up call for him to get his act together physically and mentally, otherwise in 2 years time, he will be
delisted. At the end of the day, its always up to the player themselves to work hard at their development and show what they have on the field, if Tambling cannot do that, then he has to go, no more no less.

Disco08 said:
having invested 6 years in him, presuming his injuries are overcomable, I think his worth to the RFC should be based on his 2009 form.

Well if the club trades him I'd presume it's not just because of his injuries.
Like I said before no way know his injuries could have been that bad to play as much as he did this season.
I think he will likely be judged more on 2010 than 2009. Wouldn't be the first player to lose form/confidence, injury or not.
Be interesting to see what unfolds..

Beware judging any player on their form under the Wallace regime. Isn't Rodan and *smile* enough evidence? Tambling has the necessary skill. He was, up until the morning of his draft, going to be taken before Lids. Give him another year. We are not swimming in experienced outside mids.

monteath said:
Beware judging any player on their form under the Wallace regime. Isn't Rodan and schulz enough evidence? Tambling has the necessary skill. He was, up until the morning of his draft, going to be taken before Lids. Give him another year. We are not swimming in experienced outside mids.

This doesnt make alot of sense. Firstly Rodan virtually didnt even play under Wallace. He had a knee reconstruction and the Tigers let him go. I think Rodan actually played 5 games during Wallace's regime before moving to Port. On top of that I dont think he's a great player, he's an honest player, thats about it, and he's struggled a little at times this year. Schulz, well, anyone who thinks his problems aren't in his head, has never watched him play. Even at Port he hasn't proven anything yet. A couple of good games does not make a player. He was shocking against the Tigers, a living reminder of why we got rid of him.

Tambling has the necessary skill because up to the morning of the draft he was going to be taken before Lids? First I heard of this but even so, I think the games of AFL both have played has shown who is by far the more skilled player. No-one cares in the end where they were going to be picked as a junior. Junior footy is a long way from the AFL. Sure give Tambling another year but please don't use the development excuse on him.

GoodOne said:
Sure give Tambling another year but please don't use the development excuse on him.

Not using it as an excuse, but I think his development was terrible. He was continually played as a forward which clearly didn't suit him. I reckon he'd have been far better off being allowed to play his preferred attacking midfielder role from the start. He should have played there for Coburg reserves initially and moved up as his form and fitness warrented it.

Tigers of Old said:
Like I said before no way know his injuries could have been that bad to play as much as he did this season.

He wouldn't be the first player to struggle through half a season before finally getting a proper diagnosis. An injury doesn't have to hamper you too much to have a very dramatic effect at the elite level, no matter what the sport.

Tigers of Old said:
I think he will likely be judged more on 2010 than 2009. Wouldn't be the first player to lose form/confidence, injury or not.

I can't think of any examples of a player steadily progressing to a decent level only to regress so dramatically
(and never regain that level) where injury wasn't the main contributing factor. Some players burst onto the scene then regress and stagnate though.

Disco08 said:
I can't think of any examples of a player steadily progressing to a decent level only to regress so dramatically

I'm sure there have been plenty of cases of it but you probably don't remember them because it wasn't memorable. The players just faded away.
It's not as if even when he was playing at his best in 2009 that Richie was exceptional. He may very well have peaked.

Tigers of Old said:
I'm sure there have been plenty of cases

I'll be very impressed if you can find one.

Tambling's 2009 form was easily good enough to be in our future plans, that's all that really matters right?

Had a laugh to myself the other day on the way to work. Wallace was going on about if Gold Coast had have entered the comp in 2005, which players they would have ended up with & how strong they would have been by now. He mentioned Franklin,Roughead ,Deledio & quite a few more, yet there was no mention of Tambling. So was his job coming to Richmond to keep us cemented to the bottom of the ladder for as long as possible. every time he opens that cake hole of his all we get is garbage spilling out. All I can say is thank god that oxygen thief is gone from our club, he could not cut it as a player for us & certainly not as a coach.

Disco08 said:
I'll be very impressed if you can find one.

Can't find one where statistically form has tapered so dramatically as Tambling's but plenty have had major dips in form even if the reductions in their raw numbers aren't so obvious. Kayne Pettifer would be a recent case in point.

Disco08 said:
Tambling's 2009 form was easily good enough to be in our future plans, that's all that really matters right?

I would think 2010 has more relevance.