Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Disco08 said:
To be more specific, he was 4th on the team (.1 behind Morton and .2 behind Brown who both played more permanent forward roles) for scoring assists and equal 55th in the league. Not bad when playing for a team that scored the fewest times that year.

According to footywire stats he was not in Top 100 for Goals contributed in 2009 (a better stat to measure attacking mids than purely GA for mine) He kicked 8 and assisted in 15 according to them. 23 goals contributed in 22 games.
Other attacking mids/flankers - Leigh Adams was 1.7, Dale Thomas 1.6, Macaffer 1.6, Bateman 1.6, Sherman 1.8, Wells 1.7, Winderlich 1.8, Skipworth 1.8, Byrnes 1.9, Headland (!!) 2.0...
Matthew White has a better Goals Contributed ratio in 2010 than Tambling did in 2009. I wouldn't say White has played too many "great" games this year. Let's get some perspective on this great attacking form from Richie in 2009. Either he wasn't played in the attacking role as much as you think or he simply was not as good at it as you think.

Disco08 said:
Yes he could kick more goals, but he's wasn't on his own as that type of player who didn't kick many. Judd kicked 12 all year, Bartel 11, O'keefe 13, Griffen 17, Cooney 14, etc, etc. All are attacking mids, great players and rightly not judged negatively for contributing smaller amounts of goals than others.

Everyone knows those blokes are duds

Big Cat Lover said:
According to footywire stats he was not in Top 100 for Goals contributed in 2009 (a better stat to measure attacking mids than purely GA for mine) He kicked 8 and assisted in 15 according to them. 23 goals contributed in 22 games.
Other attacking mids/flankers - Leigh Adams was 1.7, Dale Thomas 1.6, Macaffer 1.6, Bateman 1.6, Sherman 1.8, Wells 1.7, Winderlich 1.8, Skipworth 1.8, Byrnes 1.9, Headland (!!) 2.0...
Matthew White has a better Goals Contributed ratio in 2010 than Tambling did in 2009. I wouldn't say White has played too many "great" games this year. Let's get some perspective on this great attacking form from Richie in 2009. Either he wasn't played in the attacking role as much as you think or he simply was not as good at it as you think.

An attacking mid still plays mostly as an onballer, so ball winning, ball use and tackling stats are just as important as goals. In fact they're far more important IMO.

Why would goals contributed be a better stat than scoring assists and goals separately? Goal assists is a sorry stat IMO in that it relies heavily on the person being assisted.

I've already said he only played the attacking mid role after Rawlings took over so obviously he didn't play the whole season there. He probably played 5 or 6 in the backline and a couple as a lead up forward as well. He certainly played the final 11 games of the year predominantly as an attacking mid though.

Mentioned on SEN this morning there was some trade interest in Richie from other clubs. The only Tiger name mentioned unfortunately.

linuscambridge said:
Mentioned on SEN this morning there was some trade interest in Richie from other clubs. The only Tiger name mentioned unfortunately.

Good to hear after 100+ games time to move Ambling on.

Dyer'ere said:
Heh heh heh. Ambling.

I've just noticed that in common use recently. Anyone know when it crept into our PRE vernacular?

rosy23 said:
I've just noticed that in common use recently. Anyone know when it crept into our PRE vernacular?

About the same time as "The Witness" - quote Harry.

rosy23 said:

The first use of it I saw was from ToO.

Tigers of Old said:
I like 'Ambling' & 'The Witness'. Both seem apt. ;D

Hopefully next year neither get much of a run.

Agreed. And the Witness is genius too. LOL.

linuscambridge said:

Likely to be clubs that think they can get a 2nd string mid/flanker very cheaply. I reckon we would be lucky to get a 3rd round draft pick, if Luke Ball didn't go until pick 30-somthing there is no way Tambling will go for anything close to that.

Ambling and The Witness are both funny and apt names the way he played this year and even at times other years. I don't recall too many people using them from May 09 through March 10 though. If his injury concerns this year are genuine you guys are just being cruel. Leave him alone - ALL OF YOU! ;D

Will you be making excuses for him next year if he fails to deliver?

Playing in wrong position? Still carrying injuries? Baby keeping him awake?

Never heard so much excuses for 1 player.

Would want to deliver next year.

Barnzy said:
Will you be making excuses for him next year if he fails to deliver?

Playing in wrong position? Still carrying injuries? Baby keeping him awake?

Never heard so much excuses for 1 player.

Would want to deliver next year.

Come on Jimmy, where's your sense of humour mate?!

Eat the rich said:
We really need R.Ambling.. sorry, Ambling...sorry, R.Tambling, to stop the ball watching, lap cutting, ineffective style of football he currently plays, and if he continues to jog alongside the ball, at least put himself in a committed, and dangerous outside position, where he can use his ample pace. His 1stQ against west coke-rnd 20- should be a blueprint for his game.stunning. Maybe, a surprise packet up forward?
l

I'll dob myself in for that one, although if no one used it before me, I'm sure they thought it ;)

Disco08 said:
Ambling and The Witness are both funny and apt names the way he played this year and even at times other years. I don't recall too many people using them from May 09 through March 10 though. If his injury concerns this year are genuine you guys are just being cruel. Leave him alone - ALL OF YOU! ;D

I liked the comment made by LB&C a while back...that you and he are in the Witness Protection Program! :hihi

Haha yeah. The way I see it Richie's gonna owe me and Habib a few beers before this is all over.

SAF said:
Likely to be clubs that think they can get a 2nd string mid/flanker very cheaply. I reckon we would be lucky to get a 3rd round draft pick, if Luke Ball didn't go until pick 30-somthing there is no way Tambling will go for anything close to that.

And Brock McLean was traded for pick 11.