Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

hopper said:
Yeah ... maybe. But going back 12 months could we not have written exactly the same post as above?
(i'm taking the mickey with the first sentence, ok)
;)

Hey I agree with the first sentence ;D No I don't agree otherwise. King had never been tried forward at the Tigers. King's biggest issue has always been disposal and to a lesser extent decision-making. Definitely can get the ball and is pretty good in traffic. Just as King failed in the backline and has re-invented himself as a forward (although he still needs to prove his worth by backing up next year) Tambling needs to re-invent himself in the backline to make it. Additionally King spent time in the seconds and had to fight his way back in the side. Tambling has been given an armchair ride even when he was playing so poorly throughout most of this season.

GoodOne said:
Hard to ignore you when every second post is yours.

Excuse me your majesty.

All you seem to do in this thread is repeat the same illogical untruths and have a crack at me. I'll ask you again: why don't you just ignore me if you don't like my posts on the subject? All you have to do is skip all the words under Disco08 until the background changes colour. It's not that tricky.

Tambling aint ever gonna be the player most thought he would be for whatever reason and id trade him for the right price no worries.

If someone offered pick 20.... sure you'd take it but anything lower than that..... why? We have plenty of picks anyway... we have plenty of salary cap room to keep him on .... he's a good clubmen ... so keep him around. You never know what may happen in the future.

And something most people on here don't take into account. All our players who have come through our system, have never played on a decent team.........ever. You might be amazed to see how many of these guys suddenly "improve to be solid contributors" when they aren't surrounded by 10 or 11 utter hacks managing to get an AFL game.

If Tambling and Foley can get through the pre season fully fit and primed & ready to get into the thick of it, it would be a dream come true. Agree on some of the kingy comments
he's now surrounded by competent team mates, has his role to play and is peaking in terms of being in his prime as a 25-27 year old.
look at the brownlow favs, Swann, Hodge, Ablett etc. and their ages.

Lets not burn or trade Richie yet. I'm expecting and hoping for solid years from a lot of the boys next year..... with up to a dozen players ready to have breakout years in 2012/13.

tropicaltiger said:
If Tambling and Foley can get through the pre season fully fit and primed & ready to get into the thick of it, it would be a dream come true. Agree on some of the kingy comments
he's now surrounded by competent team mates, has his role to play and is peaking in terms of being in his prime as a 25-27 year old.
look at the brownlow favs, Swann, Hodge, Ablett etc. and their ages.

Lets not burn or trade Richie yet. I'm expecting and hoping for solid years from a lot of the boys next year..... with up to a dozen players ready to have breakout years in 2012/13.

Wrong, let's trade Tambling now while some other foolish club, besides ours, still thinks in 2011 that he is a SENIOR AFL PLAYER. He is not. You are deluded.
Cheers.

You think another club will be foolish enough to trade for him because they can't see what you can and you think tropicaltiger is deluded? LMAO.

Our track record in trading in the past decade is diabolical (starting with Biddescombe and culminating with Jordy/Hislop/Thomson). I'd far rather back our own ability to develop rookies (eg Thursfield, Foley, Gourdis) and deep draft picks (eg Nason and others).

We finally have a team of coaches that appear to have an ability to develop kids (eg Edwards, Nason, Jack, Gourdis, Rance). Let's back them.

And for those who believe we would get anything < pick 20 for Tambling, then of course we should take it, but its not going to happen.

Disco08 said:
Excuse me your majesty.

All you seem to do in this thread is repeat the same illogical untruths and have a crack at me. I'll ask you again: why don't you just ignore me if you don't like my posts on the subject? All you have to do is skip all the words under Disco08 until the background changes colour. It's not that tricky.

I dont want to ignore you, your incessant posts against popular belief is very intriguing indeed. I don't ignore anyone, everyone is entitled to their view.

Popular belief my arse. You and Leysy are about the only ones I know who think he can only play in the backline. Plenty of other people think he'd be better in the backline but AFAICT they don't think his form as an attacking mid/flanker last year was a completely unrepeatable fluke. If you guys didn't keep asserting as much and we didn't have people like Scribblar calling him a dud because of his form this year despite some pretty obvious restrictions I wouldn't have anything to say in this thread.

Disco08 said:
Popular belief my arse. You and Leysy are about the only ones I know who think he can only play in the backline. Plenty of other people think he'd be better in the backline but AFAICT they don't think his form as an attacking mid/flanker last year was a completely unrepeatable fluke. If you guys didn't keep asserting as much and we didn't have people like Scribblar calling him a dud because of his form this year despite some pretty obvious restrictions I wouldn't have anything to say in this thread.

Keep punching Patsy. Everyone knows you are right, some are just unwilling to admit it.

Disco08 said:

I also think his last chance is the backline, back pocket specifically. For a bloke who loves quoting stats you seem to be ignoring his paltry goals contribution from this attcking mid/flank position you say he was a success at. No point being an attacking mid/flanker if you're not creating goals.

To me he has the assets to be a gun back pocket - speed, agility, decent overhead skills, courage, ability to break a line and an attacking mindset. I don't think he is a great reader of the play nor does he seem to want to push himself to the limit running wise. I think he needs the responsibility of a direct opponent and the field all in front of him. With a bit of confidence he could become a real asset. No player has yet grabbed the BP spot and we seem to have just as good or better developing options for the mid/flanker roles.

Big Cat Lover said:
I also think his last chance is the backline, back pocket specifically. For a bloke who loves quoting stats you seem to be ignoring his paltry goals contribution from this attcking mid/flank position you say he was a success at. No point being an attacking mid/flanker if you're not creating goals.

Did you miss my last reply to you on exactly this subject BCL?

Disco08 said:
His best football wasn't as a high half forward though BCL. He was lining up and immediately joining the onballers. His stats (specifically ball gets/contested possessions/rebound 50's) reflect that very well. His scoring assist/inside 50 results were very good as well, showing he delivered the ball into 50 far more often than getting into scoring positions himself. Of course all this was fairly obvious from just watching the games too.

To be more specific, he was 4th on the team (.1 behind Morton and .2 behind Brown who both played more permanent forward roles) for scoring assists and equal 55th in the league. Not bad when playing for a team that scored the fewest times that year.

Big Cat Lover said:
To me he has the assets to be a gun back pocket - speed, agility, decent overhead skills, courage, ability to break a line and an attacking mindset. I don't think he is a great reader of the play nor does he seem to want to push himself to the limit running wise. I think he needs the responsibility of a direct opponent and the field all in front of him. With a bit of confidence he could become a real asset. No player has yet grabbed the BP spot and we seem to have just as good or better developing options for the mid/flanker roles.

Agree he might make a good BP. He's certainly played a couple of very good games in the backline.

Don't necessarily think we have many great options for that role. Perhaps Morton. The thing for me is if he could get back to last year's form he'd really solidify the midfield with his ball winning ability. Add his contribution to those of Martin, Cotchin, Jackson and Foley (fingers crossed) and we'd rival any team in that area and wouldn't be so reliant on Tuck to win half our contested ball any more.

Disco08 said:

I know alot of Tiger supporters and most of them believe the same as me. But then again most of the supporters I know do go to games. You get a totally different perspective of Tambling's game at the ground. It appears Hardwick had the same view towards the end of the season. I think, regardless of your desperate beliefs, we wil find Tambling playing predominantly back next year. He's not a forward, I am almost certain of that.

GoodOne said:
You get a totally different perspective of Tambling's game at the ground. It appears Hardwick had the same view towards the end of the season. I think, regardless of your desperate beliefs, we wil find Tambling playing predominantly back next year.

Agree with all of that.
Most telling was Dimma's late season admission that playing him forward didn't work.

GoodOne said:
I know alot of Tiger supporters and most of them believe the same as me. But then again most of the supporters I know do go to games. You get a totally different perspective of Tambling's game at the ground. It appears Hardwick had the same view towards the end of the season. I think, regardless of your desperate beliefs, we wil find Tambling playing predominantly back next year. He's not a forward, I am almost certain of that.

I'm certain he's not a forward either. It's been pretty obvious he hasn't performed consistently in the permanent forward role Wallace and now Hardwick both gave him extended runs at.

Did your mates all get a good perspective of the games he tore up as an attacking mid/flanker last year?

Desperate beliefs? Don't be a tosser. It's just footy talk FFS. I'll be happy if he plays a positive role anywhere for the team.

Disco08 said:
To be more specific, he was 4th on the team (.1 behind Morton and .2 behind Brown who both played more permanent forward roles) for scoring assists and equal 55th in the league. Not bad when playing for a team that scored the fewest times that year.

He scored 8 goals last year. Was equal 6th in average score assists at the Tigers and wasnt in the top 100 for average goal assists last year. I'm sorry these are not stats of an effective attacking mid/forward.

edit: Apologies he was 53rd average goal assist, equal with Tom Hislop...lol

Disco08 said:
Desperate beliefs? Don't be a tosser. It's just footy talk FFS. I'll be happy if he plays a positive role anywhere for the team.

Well we agree there. I do hope Tambling gets back to his 2008 form.

GoodOne said:
He scored 8 goals last year. Was equal 6th in average score assists at the Tigers and wasnt in the top 100 for average goal assists last year. I'm sorry these are not stats of an effective attacking mid/forward.

Using Pro-Stats:

T55 for scoring assists, tied with Sewell, Hayes, Gram, Milne, Davey & Monfries among others.

T60 for kicks to clear advantage, tied with Gibbs, Lewis, Yablett & Hodge.

Yes he could kick more goals, but he's wasn't on his own as that type of player who didn't kick many. Judd kicked 12 all year, Bartel 11, O'keefe 13, Griffen 17, Cooney 14, etc, etc. All are attacking mids, great players and rightly not judged negatively for contributing smaller amounts of goals than others.

If you want me to make it even clearer for you I can break Tambling's games down to those where he actually played the role I'm talking about, specifically games played after Wallace was sacked.

GoodOne said:
edit: Apologies he was 53rd average goal assist, equal with Tom Hislop...lol

Any other notables on or around that number?