Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

ICE said:
Something doesn't seem right.

If he was injured, why did they keep playing him?

If he wasn't injured, why did he have such poor form?

YES. Maybe Bling kept his discomfort quiet. Maybe he didn't even recognise his hip issue as an injury, if it wasn't causing pain. His hips evidently caused trouble elsewhere and maybe that's what they were treating.

But we shouldn't be 'jabbing' injured players and sending them out there. This isn't the American Civil War

Tygrys said:
Yep all those other years including this one were just an abberation :rofl
His previous years showed steady improvement every season
Not every player can be Chris Judd or Dustin Martin in their first year

Disco08 said:
Or his ability to play that role given the operation, limited preseason and subsequent revelations that his hips have caused him even more trouble....

Hardwick expects his backline to run just as hard as his midfielders if not more. Only need to look at the ground Deledio, Newman & Connors cover.

Likewise high forwards & pseudo wingers (where Richie predominantly played this year) ala Nason who clocked up 20kms in a game this season. More than any midfielder in leysy's estimation.

The amount of running Tambling gets in his legs over the upcoming off-season (hopefully plenty) wont have an impact on the current coaching staff playing him in the backline or midfield ILO.

Lets see where he lines up if gets a full run at it.

Leysy Days said:
Hardwick expects his backline to run just as hard as his midfielders if not more. Only need to look at the ground Deledio, Newman & Connors cover.

Likewise high forwards & pseudo wingers (where Richie predominantly played this year) ala Nason who clocked up 20kms in a game this season. More than any midfielder in leysy's estimation.

We'll have to agree to disagree on his role this year. Far more often than not I saw him staying a kick ahead of the play and not joining the stoppages like other half forwards do and he did the year before.

I'd say it's quite logical that this was because they tried him in the back half during the preseason and he wasn't handling it too well, hence the switch to the forward role. Finally they send him to Coburg to re-learn the back half gameplan and after 1 good game he's in for surgery on both hips. Doesn't take too much to put 2 and 2 together in this case IMO.

Leysy Days said:
The amount of running Tambling gets in his legs over the upcoming off-season (hopefully plenty) wont have an impact on the current coaching staff playing him in the backline or midfield ILO.

Maybe not. Hardwick may prefer to play him in the backline but that doesn't suggest he believes Tambling has no ability in a more on-ball role.

As you say, we'll see what happens if and when he gets back to full fitness.

Disco08 said:
Maybe not. Hardwick may prefer to play him in the backline but that doesn't suggest he believes Tambling has no ability in a more on-ball role.

Hardwick believes outside attacking mids are our biggest need yet wont play someone there that he thinks has ability in that role?

Doesnt make sense.

ZeroGame said:
His previous years showed steady improvement every season
Not every player can be Chris Judd or Dustin Martin in their first year

I'd just like him to be a good player, let alone a Martin or a Judd or even someone worthy of a pick 4. Almost anyone can improve from the incredibly low base he had been playing off. He strung some good games in 2009 after another abysmal start, but in 2010 it was the same old Richard Tambling. The fact that in his last match for Richmond, in his sixth year, he was getting bronx cheers when he touched the ball and that this thread is stiill alive and well says it all.

Tygrys said:
I'd just like him to be a good player, let alone a Martin or a Judd or even someone worthy of a pick 4. Almost anyone can improve from the incredibly low base he had been playing off. He strung some good games in 2009 after another abysmal start, but in 2010 it was the same old Richard Tambling. The fact that in his last match for Richmond, in his sixth year, he was getting bronx cheers when he touched the ball and that this thread is stiill alive and well says it all.
The guy has had his calves sliced open in preseason last year followed by surgury on his hips recently and may even have follow up work on his knees.
Given he showed constant year on year improvement, he was set for a big 2010, clearly injury has held him back this season.

Disco08 said:
We'll have to agree to disagree on his role this year. Far more often than not I saw him staying a kick ahead of the play and not joining the stoppages like other half forwards do and he did the year before.

That's funny, I was sure you said you could only watch games on TV. How would you know then most of the time where he was staying? Can't believe you're still going on with this. you seem to become very vocal when the Tambling subject kicks in again.

I am not against Tambling hanging around for another year but it's not as a forward. No goals sense whatsoever, it has to be as a backman. I think he should be given time in the 2s for the first part of next year ala Morton to learn and understand and show he can compete in his back flank role and hopefully the result can be as good as we received out of Morton towards the end of the year.

GoodOne said:
That's funny, I was sure you said you could only watch games on TV. How would you know then most of the time where he was staying? Can't believe you're still going on with this. you seem to become very vocal when the Tambling subject kicks in again.

You get a close up of every stoppage and regular wider views. It's pretty easy to see when a player's playing on the ball/in the forward half/in the back half.

If you think I'm too vocal in this thread and can't believe I'm still discussing it, why not just ignore me?

GoodOne said:
I am not against Tambling hanging around for another year but it's not as a forward. No goals sense whatsoever, it has to be as a backman. I think he should be given time in the 2s for the first part of next year ala Morton to learn and understand and show he can compete in his back flank role and hopefully the result can be as good as we received out of Morton towards the end of the year.

Agree with everything except that he has to make it as a back or nothing. Building some confidence in a specific role for Coburg certainly seems like the right way to go after such a tough run.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Here we go again. ::)

More excuse making you mean? You're right, surgery for compartment syndrome and hip problems severe enough to require surgery on both hips are something any player should be able to overcome without any noticeable decline in performance .

Leysy Days said:
Hardwick believes outside attacking mids are our biggest need yet wont play someone there that he thinks has ability in that role?

Doesnt make sense.

It makes perfect sense if he replaces someone like Deledio or Newman who would strengthen the attacking mids even more. It also makes sense if Beavis actually thinks it worth replacing Deledio/Connors/Newman with Tambling. If they don't trade him you'd have to assume they have quite a lot of faith in him as more than a 1 trick pony given the depth in the back half.

What makes no sense to me is that Rawlings could see enough in Tambling's abilities to play him in a role he ended up doing very well at but it was all a fluke because those abilities don't actually exist.

In a way. If Beavis puts this year's form down to injury then not so much. He'd be in trouble if his form doesn't improve from that though no doubt. In fact he'd be in trouble now if they though his form this year was a true reflection of his value.

Disco08 said:
More excuse making you mean? You're right, surgery for compartment syndrome and hip problems severe enough to require surgery on both hips are something any player should be able to overcome without any noticeable decline in performance .
Actually thats not what I meant...i meant that we are going to go through another 200 pages of posts debating this guy and whether he can or cant play.

However, now that you have mentioned it, doesn't the fact that he played all year until the last 4 games or so, and didn't have hip surgery until after a game where he got 30+ possessions in the 2nds indicate that his hips weren't too bad during the year? His hips weren't so bad that they stopped him from playing were they?

If he was that bad, then as has been asked time and time again, why the hell was he playing? Judging by the B&F results, he didn't really endear himself to the coaching staff in performing a role that wasn't obvious to most of us. This was always going to be a development year, so why didn't we put him in cotton wool....could it be because his injuries weren't as bad as some are making out? No it couldn't be that.

Perhaps then we should be turning the blowtorch on Dimma and his coaching staff for playing a bloke who shouldn't have been playing and was not contributing to the side?

None of us know the extent of his injuries, but if he is getting a game every week and turning in the types of performances he did this year, then he would have to accept criticism. You play, then you are fit.

enough of the excuses already.

We all want him to get out there and be a solid contributer to the team...hopefully he can be.

I just hope he can get himself right on the park and overcome any concern that he's had in the past. If Hardwick can extract 5 -10% more out of him, no matter where he plays on the park, a fitter Tambling will add value to the team. IMO, I see a fit Tambling being played as a utlility where Hardwick sees fit depending upon who we play.

It would even benefit the team if he can become part of our midfield rotations.

Agree with all that gpb. Even if he can just get back to the way he played under Rawlings, imagine how good Martin, Cotchin and Foley inside and Deledio, Morton and Tambling outside could be.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
If he was that bad, then as has been asked time and time again, why the hell was he playing? Judging by the B&F results, he didn't really endear himself to the coaching staff in performing a role that wasn't obvious to most of us. This was always going to be a development year, so why didn't we put him in cotton wool....could it be because his injuries weren't as bad as some are making out? No it couldn't be that.

enough of the excuses already.

They don't shave 1cm of bone off someone's hips unless they really need to. They certainly don't do it to create an excuse for a player's poor form.

Disco08 said:
They don't shave 1cm of bone off someone's hips unless they really need to. They certainly don't do it to create an excuse for a player's poor form.
So his hip is the reason he provided nothing for 3/4 of a season? When did he do his hips....round 1? If they were so bad why did he play 13 senior games? Because he had surgery at the end of the year does it mean he had the injury for the whole year, or did he get it just prior....he had 30+ touches in the 2s the week before.

Doesn't make much sense to me. Why play a guy who is not contributing to the side if he is injured?

Players have end of season surgery all the time....doesn't mean they played the entire season with that injury...

Streak said:
If that is his go, then good.

But gee, I just can't work out where he should be playing.

That's because he's just an average player. Half a good season in a whole career. Will always be limited with his lack of football IQ. His skills are technically okay, just always manages to pick the wrong option. Never seen a player so dumb on the field.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
When did he do his hips....round 1? If they were so bad why did he play 13 senior games?

Doesn't make much sense to me. Why play a guy who is not contributing to the side if he is injured?

I have the feeling that this is a degenerative disorder that has gradually progressed and again have the feeling it has been troubling him for some time. I know it all guesses here, but it surely didn't happen the day after he woke up when he racked up 30 possesions at Coburg.