Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Disco08 said:
By my count his short & rich vein of form was 17 games long. This year he played 13 games. Why is the lesser certainly the aberration?

12 games? From round 6 on he played 3 different positions and was as good as anyone in the team practically. If he was playing like that this year this thread would be 10 pages long.

In the end I'm not even really defending Tambling himself. If he's really got mental issues that have affected his form so much he has no hope. I'm really just defending the likelihood of any player suddenly dropping off the way he's done this year and not recovering. Can you name an example of any player's career following this sort of path? As an illustration, Tambling,s career ratings (not perfect I know, don't flip out) have gone 25, 34, 29, 40, 52 and now this year it's back to 30. That's worse than his form as a 19 year old. Surely this can't be his normal standard.

Can you define for me what you reckon his normal standard is? His ratings for last year ranked him roughly 50th in the league. From round 6 on 30th. How far out do you reckon those are?

Good post.

Tambling will surprise many in the coming years.

the only place he will surprie is in the VFL.

clearly not good enough and doesnt do enought at AFL levl. if we can get a trade for him great. fresh start for him may help him develop to his potenial. its obvously not happening for him at RFC....cut our losses andmove on!

Disco08 said:
Agreed something is certainly wrong. Why couldn't that be that Hardwick tried him in a different role and he simply couldn't adapt to it? That is basically what Beavis said after all.

2009 was clear progression from 2008. Much like the previous years he improved as he matured. Totally predictable IMO, especially when taking history into account. An aberration is something out of the ordinary. So for Tambling the ordinary was steady improvement and this year we see a dramatic regression. It's a perfect aberration by definition.

Sorry I disagree with your disagreement of my aberration. ;D
If he made "steady" progression for his 1st 4 years then his progression went upwards off the charts in 2009, now it has dipped below his steady progression, proves his "upwards off the charts" was an aberration. Normally he only has "steady" progression.
But this year he has gone backwards, so I agree this was an aberration, but his jogging and lack of intensity isn't.

Disco08 said:
Pro-stats. The rankings do undervalue KPP IMO but aside from that they seem very intuitive to me. Check out this year's top 100 and I reckon they get it pretty close.

Do those figures actually mean he was ranked 25th, (2009). 34th,(2008). 29th, (20070. 40th, (2006). 52nd, (2006) best player for that season in the whole afl? I've surmised the years in brackets.
If so, yep I'm surprised. There must be a hell of a lot of good ordinary players getting around. ;D
Still, I must admit I can get frustrated with players, just got to remember to keep a lid on it. I'd rather show support for any player who wears the yellow & black, but sometimes players need to show they want to be there.

Said it before....
Say it again ...... the lad is 24, has had a rough transition into the top level and this season has had to deal with not only a coaching change but a rather nasty injury/surgey/correction issue that has limited his development.

The vampires baying for blood will continue to do so and always will because of his entry to the club....

will enjoy telling these people to stuff it up their ***(aka. donkey) when this young man finally starts to show the ability most of us know he has....

BIGNIGE said:
Said it before....
Say it again ...... the lad is 24, has had a rough transition into the top level and this season has had to deal with not only a coaching change but a rather nasty injury/surgey/correction issue that has limited his development.

The vampires baying for blood will continue to do so and always will because of his entry to the club....

will enjoy telling these people to stuff it up their ***(aka. donkey) when this young man finally starts to show the ability most of us know he has....

Is Hypnotism bulk billed?

:ner

Aegean Tiger said:
It is obvious that those lambasting him can not let go of the pick 4 - pick 5 outcome in 2004.

No, it's the frustration of seeing Tambling struggle when looking as though after ~100 games he had found a niche of sorts and discovered what it takes to be a solid AFL citizen. At face value his 2010 was an abject disappointment.

I wish they'd sack/delist/trade him - just so the constant, round and round in circles conversations would end.

Don't read the thread if you dislike the discussion.

willo said:
Sorry I disagree with your disagreement of my aberration. ;D
If he made "steady" progression for his 1st 4 years then his progression went upwards off the charts in 2009, now it has dipped below his steady progression, proves his "upwards off the charts" was an aberration. Normally he only has "steady" progression.
But this year he has gone backwards, so I agree this was an aberration, but his jogging and lack of intensity isn't.

He didn't go "off the charts" at all last year. He went from 18 touches a game to 21. This year he went from 21 to 12. See the difference?

willo said:
Do those figures actually mean he was ranked 25th, (2009). 34th,(2008). 29th, (20070. 40th, (2006). 52nd, (2006) best player for that season in the whole afl? I've surmised the years in brackets.
If so, yep I'm surprised. There must be a hell of a lot of good ordinary players getting around. ;D

No mate, they're his average ratings for those years - like supercoach scores but more detailed. As you can see his improvement from 07 to 08 was the same as 08 to 09.

I've seen him go in pretty hard when he's had to this year, although I haven't see every game. How often would you say he's shown a blatant lack of effort willo?

Disco08 said:
He didn't go "off the charts" at all last year. He went from 18 touches a game to 21. This year he went from 21 to 12. See the difference?

No mate, they're his average ratings for those years - like supercoach scores but more detailed. As you can see his improvement from 07 to 08 was the same as 08 to 09.

I've seen him go in pretty hard when he's had to this year, although I haven't see every game. How often would you say he's shown a blatant lack of effort willo?

Thanks for the explanation re stats/rankings and Pro-stats.
I was a bit surprised when I thought they were for player (vs player) rankings, not personal rankings :duh

As to how often he's shown a "blatant lack of effort", just a clarification, I wasn't actually saying he doesn't "go in pretty hard", most times he does. It's more how often he gets himself to a contest. My criticism, is he seems to "jog" along too often and "spectate" too often. It seems like he doesn't read the play too well, I'm not sure whether that's actually correct as he seems able to when at hbf. It seems like he picks and chooses when to go.
That's what I'm referring to as a "lack of intensity".

I still maintain he did have a "off the charts" breakout season last year. That's my opinion. One I think, others would share, not just on his average "touch" count. Yes he may have gone from 18 touches a game to 21. But that's just on stats. Good indication, granted. Where does it show his intensity to work hard? to link? to run?
I'm not arguing the point ;D But last year, clearly his best, now to this..
I've had to take a "chill pill" so as not to bag Tambling (too much), as clearly he's not right. If that's the case whether injury (compartment syndrome surgery/hamstring/hip/knee/calf) mentally or being played out of (his favourite?) position, clearly on his form, he shouldn't have been playing.
I know Dimma has come out to shoulder the blame, whether that's to shield Tambling from more media/fan backlash, I don't know. And I don't care.
My main gripe is when he "jogs" & "spectates". No intensity in his game. Regardless of whatever position he's playing. That to me isn't acceptable from any player. (Others seemed to have observed the same, hence Ambling, & the Witness)
If his problems are related some psychological or mental issue he has to get it sorted somehow or he'll be gone. If its injury or fitness issues, maybe he should have started the season at Coburg to build his fitness up, not be played in the 1's where the spotlight is. Whichever it is, someone has erred.
Clearly Tambling isn't the player he was in 2009.

Some fair points there willo. Some not so much IMO but we'll just have to let it play out to get the real answers. :)

Disco08 said:
Some fair points there willo. Some not so much IMO but we'll just have to let it play out to get the real answers. :)

Fair enough mate. If he's offered a new contract at the Tigers all we can hope is that he can replicate his 2009 form.

Freezer said:
I wish they'd sack/delist/trade him - just so the constant, round and round in circles conversations would end.

True who misses the Cleve Hughes thread, or the Andrew Krakouer thread, or the ones presently on life support such as the Polak and McHahon threads? Whilst he stays at Richmond it will never ever end.

Bling goes under the knife tomorrow. All the best.

Also, he wont be delisted this year, he has been resigned for another 2 years.

Odduna said:

Interesting..... Best of luck for Ritchie with hip surgery and for the next couple of seasons

Odduna said:
Bling goes under the knife tomorrow. All the best.

Where did you hear this?

Tygrys said:
Where did you hear this?

I heard the same at the footy, think he spoke at one of the functions before the game and mentioned it. Apparently Mcmahon was a speaker there to, would love to know what he had to say.

Jezza81 said:
I heard the same at the footy, think he spoke at one of the functions before the game and mentioned it. Apparently Mcmahon was a speaker there to, would love to know what he had to say.

McMahon stated that he believed Hicks would kick two goals today