Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

shawry said:
One should still be able to hope. You never know.

Sure, Shawry I agree but don't be disappointed or try to push his performances to another level or make reasons why is not there.

Just take him as a role player.

SCOOP said:
No but he is what he is. Nothing more, nothing less. No pointing hoping after 108 games that he becomes a A grade mid.

Are we allowed to hope he returns to last year's form?

SCOOP said:
No but he is what he is. Nothing more, nothing less. No pointing hoping after 108 games that he becomes a A grade mid.
Stupid comment scoopy

Were we wrong hoping for Gus to b a ruckman? Were we wrong hoping for Jack 2b a gun forward....were we wrong hoping for conners 2finally grow up and b a footballer?

Jeez, without hope I could not have survived the last 30 years

ROLLS ROYCE said:
Stupid comment scoopy

Were we wrong hoping for Gus to b a ruckman? Were we wrong hoping for Jack 2b a gun forward....were we wrong hoping for conners 2finally grow up and b a footballer?

Those players combined havent played as much as Tambling. You cant compare.

Elmer said:
I'm sure some people won't even take him at that.

I would. He is never going to be McLeod but I would take a Roger Hayden level player which he isnt even that!

If he went to another club and played good footy I wouldnt be that upset because I just dont see anything changing while he is here.

SCOOP said:
ROLLS ROYCE said:
Stupid comment scoopy

Disagree Rolls. Tambling has played more games than the 3 players you mentioned combined.
He's been tried in many positions without cementing his spot in any of them. I think people were hoping Tambling's short, rich vein of form last year was really his breakout. Alas, it wasn't. merely an aberration at this point in time.

Rather than people saying he's only a depth player or trade bait, I believe after 6 years he hasn't shown too much for a top 10 draft pick. Many other top ten picks haven't come on either, so he's not the odd man out there.
I think Scoop's statement was on the money.
There will be some decisions made at seasons end. I hope the right calls are made, whichever way they go.
If he's kept, he should only get a 1 year contract, see if that pushes him along, rather than settle into the comfort zone of a 2 or 3 year deal. He needs some urgency in his game.

willo said:
If he's kept, he should only get a 1 year contract, see if that pushes him along, rather than settle into the comfort zone of a 2 or 3 year deal. He needs some urgency in his game.

Reckon he'll be kept. In previous years I'd probably be shaking in my boots but I have confidence now that the heirarchy, under this sort of circumstance, would only offer Tambling a 1 year contract. The question really is whether Tambling would be happy to accept that. If not, then tough luck I say, move on.

Up until this yr ritchie has been tracking in an upwards direction.

Last yr he was a standout for the RFC IMO.

It is obvious that those lambasting him can not let go of the pick 4 - pick 5 outcome in 2004.

I expect him to surprise many in the coming season's.

Disco08 said:
Are we allowed to hope he returns to last year's form?

Sure you are Disco. No problem at all. But don't be disappointed if he reverts to his standard form. 2009 is looking more and more like a purple patch. And I just don't see the point in defending his normal standard that besides a 12 game patch, is what he has shown over the other 96.

ROLLS ROYCE said:
Stupid comment scoopy

I think after/if Gus plays a 108 games we will have a fair idea of what to expect for the rest of his AFL life. And that is what I have done with Tambling. I am pretty sure I know what I will get from him most weeks.

I think I defended Jackand Connors many a time on PRE, they have something that Tambling doesn't. High footballing IQ.

And I am not saying Tambling cannot play a role in a very good side, I just don't think we should expect that 12 week patch of form every week.
Tambling also gave me the greatest footballing nick name ever, "The Witness". That is so clever, highly, highly amusing stuff.

I see in the HUN today that he is going in for surgery on Monday. Apparently got a hip injury playing in the VFL and won't play
again this year. Anyone else heard this?

Yes, was also reported in the Age today. Season-ending. Injured last week at Coburg and hopefully will be ready for preseason.

Aegean Tiger said:
It is obvious that those lambasting him can not let go of the pick 4 - pick 5 outcome in 2004.

Hardly. Has nothing to do with his pick. Was dropped last week, I doubt that it was because he was a #4 pick in 2004.

GoodOne said:
Hardly. Has nothing to do with his pick. Was dropped last week, I doubt that it was because he was a #4 pick in 2004.

Spot on. Got over that a long time ago.

Just looking for a decent consistent effort which is yet to be seen.

Hopefully we can let this thread settle down a bit now. Continuing a 145 page thread for a bloke that isn't playing could leave this whole site open to forced admission to the loony bin!

willo said:
Disagree Rolls. Tambling has played more games than the 3 players you mentioned combined.
He's been tried in many positions without cementing his spot in any of them. I think people were hoping Tambling's short, rich vein of form last year was really his breakout. Alas, it wasn't. merely an aberration at this point in time.

By my count his short & rich vein of form was 17 games long. This year he played 13 games. Why is the lesser certainly the aberration?

SCOOP said:
Sure you are Disco. No problem at all. But don't be disappointed if he reverts to his standard form. 2009 is looking more and more like a purple patch. And I just don't see the point in defending his normal standard that besides a 12 game patch, is what he has shown over the other 96.

12 games? From round 6 on he played 3 different positions and was as good as anyone in the team practically. If he was playing like that this year this thread would be 10 pages long.

In the end I'm not even really defending Tambling himself. If he's really got mental issues that have affected his form so much he has no hope. I'm really just defending the likelihood of any player suddenly dropping off the way he's done this year and not recovering. Can you name an example of any player's career following this sort of path? As an illustration, Tambling,s career ratings (not perfect I know, don't flip out) have gone 25, 34, 29, 40, 52 and now this year it's back to 30. That's worse than his form as a 19 year old. Surely this can't be his normal standard.

Can you define for me what you reckon his normal standard is? His ratings for last year ranked him roughly 50th in the league. From round 6 on 30th. How far out do you reckon those are?

Disco08 said:
By my count his short & rich vein of form was 17 games long. This year he played 13 games. Why is the lesser certainly the aberration?

12 games? From round 6 on he played 3 different positions and was as good as anyone in the team practically. If he was playing like that this year this thread would be 10 pages long.

In the end I'm not even really defending Tambling himself. If he's really got mental issues that have affected his form so much he has no hope. I'm really just defending the likelihood of any player suddenly dropping off the way he's done this year and not recovering. Can you name an example of any player's career following this sort of path? As an illustration, Tambling,s career ratings (not perfect I know, don't flip out) have gone 25, 34, 29, 40, 52 and now this year it's back to 30. That's worse than his form as a 19 year old. Surely this can't be his normal standard.

Can you define for me what you reckon his normal standard is? His ratings for last year ranked him roughly 50th in the league. From round 6 on 30th. How far out do you reckon those are?
I'm not sure I can define for you his normal standard. For me, he hasn't played anywhere near the level where I believe he is capable of, consistently. Maybe I believe he's more capable than others, my biggest criticism is he jogs too much and doesn't show much urgency.
I'm not sure what ratings you're using? What are they, where're they from? (not being a smart arse)
I'm not sure his excellent form was 17 games long Disco, I thought he had a purple patch of 7 or 8 games, but I'll accept your count.
17 games last season, not too many before that and none since.
It seems like 2009 was as orphan. ;D So in my opinion, an aberration. So far.
I hope he gets himself physically, psychologically and mentally fit if he's to be with us next year. If he is, I hope we see more of his 2009 season or thereabouts. His career hasn't exactly blossomed. Improved a little bit most years, but I'm sure Ritchie himself wouldn't be totally content with how he's been going (guesswork on my behalf). If he is content with his career output to date, that's probably the best we'll get.
Somethings certainly not 100% with him atm, excluding his recent hip injury.

Agreed something is certainly wrong. Why couldn't that be that Hardwick tried him in a different role and he simply couldn't adapt to it? That is basically what Beavis said after all.

willo said:
17 games last season, not too many before that and none since.
It seems like 2009 was as orphan. ;D So in my opinion, an aberration. So far.

2009 was clear progression from 2008. Much like the previous years he improved as he matured. Totally predictable IMO, especially when taking history into account. An aberration is something out of the ordinary. So for Tambling the ordinary was steady improvement and this year we see a dramatic regression. It's a perfect aberration by definition.

willo said:
I'm not sure what ratings you're using? What are they, where're they from? (not being a smart arse)

Pro-stats. The rankings do undervalue KPP IMO but aside from that they seem very intuitive to me. Check out this year's top 100 and I reckon they get it pretty close.