Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Tigers of Old said:
35 possessions at Coburg at least indicates that there is clearly no fitness issues.
This is either an inability to play in set roles or a mental issue. Likely a combination of both.

See that just annoys me, it does actually take a fair bit of ability and running strength to rack up 35 touches in the VFL. Where has that been in the AFL?

Being played out of position isn’t that big a deal, it’s not like he was in the ruck.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
See that just annoys me, it does actually take a fair bit of ability and running strength to rack up 35 touches in the VFL. Where has that been in the AFL?

Being played out of position isn’t that big a deal, it’s not like he was in the ruck.
Agree totally! Which has to lead to the question of 'why?'

Col.W.Kurtz said:

Its a big deal to some, and apparently a big reason, along with fitness which has only seen him miss one or two games with injury, and other less credible reasons, why he has not reproduced anywhere near the form he did in the second half of last year, a period which given his output for his entire AFL career, appears to be an exception.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
Go back through the last 140 pages yourself and find them. You know what they are.
And if half of them are true, it shows how mentally unequipped he is to play AFL football.

I know there weren't too many excuses needed last year apart from old Wallet telling everyone he'd had no sleep before the Dogs game where he was obviously atrocious. Aside from that people were saying it can take time for players to develop when others were writing him off in his 3rd and 4th years and this year Hardwick has said his form is at least partly due to being played in an unsuitable role. It's also been mentioned that he had major surgery in October and didn't start preseason training until January. Apart from the former I don't see how this translates to chronic excuse making.

Anything I've missed?

Punxsutawney Phil said:
And what is laughable is that some around here continually refer back to a patch of games last year, which given his career are the exception rather than the rule, to justify how good a player he is.

What I'm disagreeing with is your assertion he's played only 12 decent games in 6 years. If you were to take age into account I'd say at least half of his games have been "decent". Then again, perhaps your definition of decent is different to mine. He's been disappointing this year but until then I think his career was quite predictable and certainly very few people were critisizing him prior to the start of this season.

If I (and others IMO) refer to last year's good form it's to suggest what he is capable of, not how good he is. Nothing particularly offensive about that is there?

GoodOne said:
Wait there's more. Apparently he was a gun midfielder as a junior too.

He played midfield as a junior, won the medal for best div 2 player at the carnival and was drafted at number 4.

Leysy Days said:
Considering line-breaking attacking outside mids are what Hardwick considers we lack the most on our list. Yes.

We'll see if he's ever given this role in the future I guess. Friendly wager on it? You can define the terms.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Brodders do you still disagree with him being mentally weak?

without going back to the original post, im not sure i ever said he wasnt. i think i was asking the question- why YOU think/thought he is/was mentally weak.
a lot of posters say a lot of things without knowing many of the facts. i certainly dont know many of the facts.
what i do know is that tamblngs career was on steadily improving up until last year when he had a good year. in the off season he had serious surgery on his legs. this year his form has been poor. and this year his running has dropped right off.

i dont know why his form has dropped. maybe it is mental weakness, maybe it is because he cant run, maybe it is because he has been played out of position, maybe it is a combination of those things, maybe it is none of them. i dont know.

what i do reckon tho is he will be at richmond next year, unless a pretty good offer is put on the table, and hopefully tamblings form is a lot closer to last year than this year.
hoa you know something more about tambling than what you've said? i think you have alluded to something a few times but have not said anymore. if you dont want to disclose what it is you dont need to, but do you know something?

Disco08 said:
He played midfield as a junior, won the medal for best div 2 player at the carnival and was drafted at number 4.

Which just goes to prove, juniors is a long long way from AFL. I know gun junior tennis players who never made it either. It means nothing. Only their performance at AFL level needs to be judged. We can't spend our time reminiscing on his junior career.

GoodOne said:
Which just goes to prove, juniors is a long long way from AFL. I know gun junior tennis players who never made it either. It means nothing. Only their performance at AFL level needs to be judged. We can't spend our time reminiscing on his junior career.

Todd Reid

WesternTiger said:
No reprieve from Dimma despite BOG. Good to see. Now keep up the good work Bling.

Agree. Slotting him straight back in would have been disingenuous.

velo said:
Agree. Slotting him straight back in would have been disingenuous.

The great thing about Dimma, when he says he's going to do something he does it.

Tigers of Old said:
Trade value is minimal when at Coburg.

I know its joked about but what would the possibility be of any player being played in the AFL ( when form decrees they should be in the VFL) so that it increases their trade value?

Has it ever been done? Probably hard to tell I guess.

tigertim said:
I know its joked about but what would the possibility be of any player being played in the AFL ( when form decrees they should be in the VFL) so that it increases their trade value?

Fair point. Probably makes bugger all difference.
Whichever way it stands Richie's value wouldn't be great currently I'd imagine.

tigertim said:

You would hope in this day and age recruiters wouldn't be influenced by whether they play 1s or 2s. At least I hope ours are smart enough not to be.

I like tambo but his no good, as simple as that..
I wish he ends up at W.C and plays well. he looks lost in a tigers jumper..
all the best ritchie