Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Barnzy said:
Possibly. However, did he not say in an article he was ready to attack the season after last year with a healed body and mind? I remember seeing that quote. Fitness after 17 rounds sounds like an excuse to me.

"It hasn't been too great this year," Tambling said.

"I started late, I've got a different role within the structures and I think I've taken a little while to catch up on things.

"And I had my operations on both legs in October and didn't start training with the boys pretty much until January."

Doesn't sound ideal to me. Not only did he lose out on valuable training to build his endurance he also had to try and learn a new role in limited training time. Some will call these excuses but where do excuses stop and genuine reasons start?

Barnzy said:
I just think it's a combination of an average player who needs to get the best out of himself to be an effective player but also doesn't have the right mindset. Quite evident he hasn't been working hard enough this year.

Perhaps, or possibly it simply appears that way because his confidence in playing his role this year is very low.

GoodOne said:
You don't need the same intensity to do well at Coburg. If you don't know that then there's nothing else to say. Where did I say I don't think the improved performance had nothing to do with playing a different role? Reasons don't have to be exclusive.

You certainly need to play with intensity at VFL level to do well. The obvious reason for his improved performance is the switch to a suitable position and I think it's rather silly to speculate beyond that.

GoodOne said:
Yes I know you keep telling us how great he waas LAST year and how great he was in the midfield as a JUNIOR. Frankly I don't care how well he played in juniors. Plenty of gun juniors never came on to succeeed at AFL level. A flanker essentially playing a midfield role? So which was it, flanker or midfielder?

Did you watch any of those games Goody? It was pretty obvious if you did and was also discussed ad nauseum. Either way, here ya go:

During that period, Tambling has averaged 27 disposals and eight marks, playing as a damaging wingman-cum-half-forward. Against West Coast in round 12 he was clearly best man on the field. Last week he tore Adelaide apart en route to a career-high 31 touches. He is finding space, finding the ball and using it to change the course of games.

GoodOne said:
This is the problem. They're struggling to find a role for Tambling to play in. Let's hope their new job for him in the backline comes to fruition. Beyond that there's not alot left to try.

If he has a good preseason why wouldn't you play him in the role that's described above?

I also don't understand why trying him as a forward, which eventually and predictably failed, means they're struggling to find a spot for him.

Disco08 said:
You certainly need to play with intensity at VFL level to do well. The obvious reason for his improved performance is the switch to a suitable position and I think it's rather silly to speculate beyond that.

Completely different level of intensity. That's why many players excel at VFL but dont cut the grade at AFL level. Disposal quality under pressure is a major differing factor.

Disco08 said:
Did you watch any of those games Goody? It was pretty obvious if you did and was also discussed ad nauseum. Either way, here ya go:

During that period, Tambling has averaged 27 disposals and eight marks, playing as a damaging wingman-cum-half-forward. Against West Coast in round 12 he was clearly best man on the field. Last week he tore Adelaide apart en route to a career-high 31 touches. He is finding space, finding the ball and using it to change the course of games.

I guess we have differing opinions of what a midfielder is. A wingman cum half forward is not a midfielder. I played wing most of my career and was not considered a midfielder.

Disco08 said:
If he has a good preseason why wouldn't you play him in the role that's described above?

I also don't understand why trying him as a forward, which eventually and predictably failed, means they're struggling to find a spot for him.

So why have they decided to 'retrain' him as a backman? They obviously see much better potential elsewhere for the midfield or wingman cum half forward roles. I still have hope for Tambling but his chances are fast running out. Now's the time for him to step up at Coburg with a string of good games. He needs to pay back the faith of the Tiger heirarchy.

GoodOne said:
Completely different level of intensity. That's why many players excel at VFL but dont cut the grade at AFL level. Disposal quality under pressure is a major differing factor.

You still won't perform well with little or no intensity.

GoodOne said:
I guess we have differing opinions of what a midfielder is. A wingman cum half forward is not a midfielder. I played wing most of my career and was not considered a midfielder.

In modern football I'd describe any player that attends most stoppages as a midfielder. Tambling certainly did that. I could quote some stats for you to prove it but I know how much that offends you so I won't.

GoodOne said:
So why have they decided to 'retrain' him as a backman? They obviously see much better potential elsewhere for the midfield or wingman cum half forward roles.

Perhaps because his lack of preseason training means he doesn't have the endurance to play the role he did last year. Either that or they simply like him better as a back. They played him there all preseason didn't they?

after another 140 pages we've come to another dead end in another tambling thread. in 2004 we were debating his talents, in 2010 we were still debating it with different numbers and *smile*. no one is closer to knowing. regardless he has had divided opinions and always will. some of us for various reasons cant let go of where he was drafted and some of us for other reasons can. whatever our, the coaching staffs or his own expectations are its evident ritchie hasn't been able to completely find his zone when playing.

for the record i reckon we have seen 80% of his footy talents

LidsBling&Cotch said:
for the record i reckon we have seen 80% of his footy talents

Your record.

What's his trademark habib? What is his best trick on the ground that makes the crowd applaud and say this player is great?

geoffryprettyboy said:
Your record.

What's his trademark habib? What is his best trick on the ground that makes the crowd applaud and say this player is great?

the 20% we haven't seen

LidsBling&Cotch said:
after another 140 pages we've come to another dead end in another tambling thread. in 2004 we were debating his talents, in 2010 we were still debating it with different numbers and *smile*. no one is closer to knowing. regardless he has had divided opinions and always will. some of us for various reasons cant let go of where he was drafted and some of us for other reasons can. whatever our, the coaching staffs or his own expectations are its evident ritchie hasn't been able to completely find his zone when playing.

completely agree with that.. i for one, am honestly sick of the excuses people keep making for him. I don't care where he was taken. I care that he has obviously got loads of talent that we haven't been able to harness. He reminds me of another aboriginal player at collingwood that can't seem to sustain a run of form longer than half a season. maybe he never will. If we can't find a spot for him, trade him, simple as that. I honestly don't think he is really worth the debate and angst anymore.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
the 20% we haven't seen

From that answer it tells me he has nothing and you are really hoping he turns it around because for 6 years you have banged the Tambling drum hoping for a miracle. :D

You will one day change your name to Lids&Cotch. ;D

willo said:
The best comeback I've seen for a while. ;D

You may see it as a great comeback but as a Richmond supporter I find it dissapointing that 6 years of playing AFL football Tambling has no qualities (on the field) that we can brag about.

You seemed to see a few qualities in him during the summer. I can recall you discussing them with me at some length. In fact, I probably still have that conversation in my trash. I'll have to have a look at it to make sure I'm not mistaken but I don't think I am.

Has 13 ordinary games this year changed all that? Don't you give any credence to the coach saying it was probably a mistake to play him in the role they did?

after reading the last 30 odd pages i chuckle at the thought that some members are of the opinion that gc would pick this dud up, rt has no currency what so ever

Disco08 said:
You seemed to see a few qualities in him during the summer. I can recall you discussing them with me at some length. In fact, I probably still have that conversation in my trash. I'll have to have a look at it to make sure I'm not mistaken but I don't think I am.

Has 13 ordinary games this year changed all that? Don't you give any credence to the coach saying it was probably a mistake to play him in the role they did?

Off the field Richard is a very well spoken individual and switched on but I cannot see anything to write about that really stands out when he crosses the white line. I do recall discussing his potential with you and have all the dialogue in our conversation. From what I heard and seen, my feelings towards Hardwick is very confident and will try everything in his power to make Tambling a player.

I cannot see any qualities in Tambling as a footballer, to me over 6 years he hasn't added any value to the team. Maybe my patience has run out and the Tambling candle is about to burn out.

geoffryprettyboy said:
From that answer it tells me he has nothing and you are really hoping he turns it around because for 6 years you have banged the Tambling drum hoping for a miracle. :D

You will one day change your name to Lids&Cotch. ;D

cmon man dont be dumb like some of the idiots here

he can accumulate possies, can win contested footy, he has skills, can run and break lines and can kick a goal can take a contested mark, is very strong in the air.

he looks like a bloke playing with chains around his neck

geoffryprettyboy said:
Off the field Richard is a very well spoken individual and switched on but I cannot see anything to write about that really stands out when he crosses the white line. I may have said to you there were 'signs' that stood out, but I cannot recall. From what I heard and seen, my feelings towards Hardwick is very confident and will try everything in his power to make Tambling a player.

I cannot see any qualities in Tambling as a footballer, to me over 6 years he hasn't added any value to the team. Maybe my patience has run out and the Tambling candle is about to burn out.

Perhaps. I actually don't think you've had much time for him all along. You were ridiculing him in his 4th year when I was trying to tell you it was too early to write him off.

I'm not going to post them or anything, but I can tell you your thoughts (or at least those you expressed to me in a seemingly serious discussion) were far different 4 months ago.

Disco08 said:
Perhaps. I actually don't think you've had much time for him all along. You were ridiculing him in his 4th year when I was trying to tell you it was too early to write him off.

I'm not going to post them or anything, but I can tell you your thoughts (or at least those you expressed to me in a seemingly serious discussion) were far different 4 months ago.
is it stil to early disco?or do we still have to give him time because of his aboriganality?

LidsBling&Cotch said:
he looks like a bloke playing with chains around his neck

Tell me what are these chains? For you to say this you know more and he has issues.

Disco08 said:

Yes Disco like I said above I have our conversation discussing Tambling back in March. I just cannot see he will turn it around that's how I feel about it and it has nothing to do with whether I have faith in Hardwick.

Disco08 said:
No, time's up stoney. You'd be happy with his form this year I bet.
cheap even from you.. no im not ,i hoped that rt came good and justified the recruitment and investment rfc made and won games for us off his own boot the way franklin does.,and that he made you feel warm and cozy about turning a discussion of a footballers talent into a social debate on whether a bogan kid from east gippsland has an easier time making the grade than a kid from nt purely on the basis of skin color