Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

regardless of what anyone says RT is a soft, lazy footballer who has one position left - BP and at the moment he is not good enough for that in the 2nd last team in the comp.

if he comes back a good enough player then so be it....

i dont care where he was drafted or how long he has been at the club, i believe he has potential and talent but he cant live off that any longer.

he is not worthy of a spot in the 22 at the moment and anyone that watches him play can see that - even our own DH

rockstar_tiger said:
Don't trade him.

He'll flourish in a new environment.

We'll get a poor pick, and get critisised for poor development.

Keep him.

Work through any psychological or injury issues he may have.

Scenario one: He works himself out, becomes a good player for 5-6 years.
Scenario two: He gets delisted in a couple of years, and no other clubs will touch him.

As long as we avoid Scenario three: We trade him for a bad pick, then he does well in a new environment.

Personally I think he'll be a good player and play over 200 games for us. I haven't lost faith.

Has Cousins spoken to him this year?

Tigers of Old said:

Think he told him that if he can't get a kick, he should at least lay some tackles.

Another one he's helped!

rockstar_tiger said:
Don't trade him.

He'll flourish in a new environment.

We'll get a poor pick, and get critisised for poor development.

Keep him.

Work through any psychological or injury issues he may have.

Scenario one: He works himself out, becomes a good player for 5-6 years.
Scenario two: He gets delisted in a couple of years, and no other clubs will touch him.

As long as we avoid Scenario three: We trade him for a bad pick, then he does well in a new environment.

Personally I think he'll be a good player and play over 200 games for us. I haven't lost faith.

Scenario four: We trade him for a good pick, then he does well in a new environment
Scenario five: We trade him for a good pick, then he does as poorly in a new environment as he done at Richmond (much more likely than the previous scenario).
Scenario six: He gets delisted in a couple of years, and no other clubs will touch him and we get nothing for him. No trade pick, zilch, nothing. No return for our years of perserverance and for our pick 4 investment, no talented young kid to look forward to.

Seriously you need something more than 'faith' to continue with this guy, he is never going to be an A-grader or anything elite, at best just a foot soldier and even that seems very unlikely at the moment. And of all the reasons to hold onto him the fear that he would make it at another club is the least valid. So what if he did, good luck to him, it's no win for us to hold onto a list clogger because of the remote chance that he might make it somewhere else. if that was the case we'd never delist or trade any one. Seriously if he doesn't make it by now he never will.

Scenario 7: He fails to impress at Coburg in the backline and he is dropped to the Coburg 2nd's and retrained to see if he can become a ruckman.

Tigers of Old said:

He spoke to Tambling last year, causing him to finish top 5 in the B+F... but due to so many other poor players on our list Cuz had to work his magic elsewhere and dedicate less time towards Tambling - and that's why his form dropped back down to what it was before Cuz joined the club ;D

Seriously, the one area where Cuz might not be much help is psychological counselling.

His powers only extend to behavioural psychology, not cognitive psychology... or hypnosis! :hihi

Tygrys said:
Scenario four: We trade him for a good pick, then he does well in a new environment

This isn't something to be afraid of if we also benefit. He isn't producing for us.

He performed well last year because he was playing at the highest intensity of which he was capable, but has been unable to reproduce that effort for an entire season now. This article http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/richard-tambling-to-play-his-100th-game-this-weekend/story-e6frecjc-1225856575282 rang alarm bells for me. Sounds like he's regurgitating what he's been told by the psychologist. Watching him at his best and worst over six years, I feel he has to be "on the edge" to perform well at this level, and that he finds it difficult to get himself into that state on match day. Unfortunately a relaxed Richie (as he seems to be in the interview) isn't much good to us.

GoodOne said:
Scenario 7: He fails to impress at Coburg in the backline and he is dropped to the Coburg 2nd's and retrained to see if he can become a ruckman.
LOL

Tango said:
i dont care where he was drafted or how long he has been at the club, i believe he has potential and talent but he cant live off that any longer.

well Cleve hughes was an early pick (24) well skilled, lacked intensity, got 2-3 seasons and flicked.

Hughes must wonder why Bling gets special treatment

DirtyDogTiger said:
well Cleve hughes was an early pick (24) well skilled, lacked intensity, got 2-3 seasons and flicked.

Hughes must wonder why Bling gets special treatment

Bling has never taken a backwards step until this year.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
He performed well last year because he was playing at the highest intensity of which he was capable, but has been unable to reproduce that effort for an entire season now.

Perhaps he performed well because he was playing a position he was comfortable with. He's made it no secret he prefers the attacking midfield role and that's pretty much what his was given by Rawlings.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
but has been unable to reproduce that effort for an entire season now.

Playing a completely different role even the coach admits he wasn't suited to.

Disco08 said:
Perhaps he performed well because he was playing a position he was comfortable with. He's made it no secret he prefers the attacking midfield role and that's pretty much what his was given by Rawlings.

Baloney. He played well exactly as LeeToRainesToRoach says, because he gave his all and played at a much higher intensity. In the pre-season of 2009 and in the early games of 2009 he had very little intensity and was as bad as he has played this year. Then his intensity picked up and he had a sterling second half of 2009. This year is more of the same of early 2009. The team is not here to change its structure to suit where Tambling feels most omfortable, Tambling needs to fit in to wherever the team feels he can benefit the club the most. He is not a midfielder, never has been and never will be. Hardwick has pretty much summed it up now, its the backline for Tambling. It's crunch time for Tambling. He started the new challenge well last week. Let's see if he can up the ante from here.

Disco08 said:

Playing a completely different role even the coach admits he wasn't suited to.

Yep, all perfectly reasonable from a pro-Richie perspective. He's used up his excuses from mine, not that it counts for anything. I'm not going to go out of my way to bag him if we persist and he doesn't succeed.

This guy is also a notoriously slow starter. The Tambling season begins if at all around R6-8. This in itself is totally unacceptable. What's he probably on? $250K? More? For in his best best year about 10 games of so so to just around the mark footy. And about 12 games of toss. If he comes in next week and starts burning it up for 5 weeks I'll really be spewing if we don't rustle a trade up then.