Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

As a crew member on the good ship HMAS Bling I still feel like we are in a Russian submarine tapped upside down on the bottom of the Ocean. The Coburg game was some faint taping on the outside of the hull, but the prospect of rescue is still slim.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
As a crew member on the good ship HMAS Bling I still feel like we are in a Russian submarine tapped upside down on the bottom of the Ocean. The Coburg game was some faint taping on the outside of the hull, but the prospect of rescue is still slim.
:hihi :hihi As vice admiral of the HMAS Bling I agree we r in deep trouble but am optimistic we can recover and play some role in the battle.

Col.W.Kurtz said:

HMAS Bling presumed fully loaded, hasn't fired a shot all year. Prefer to sell salvage rights. And what's a colonel doing in the navy?

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
HMAS Bling presumed fully loaded, hasn't fired a shot all year. Prefer to sell salvage rights.

He's playing like a British WWI Battlecruiser if it was crewed by Italians

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
And what's a colonel doing in the navy?

Would you belive I'm a Marine?

GoodOne said:
In the pre-season of 2009 and in the early games of 2009 he had very little intensity and was as bad as he has played this year. Then his intensity picked up and he had a sterling second half of 2009. This year is more of the same of early 2009.

Do you reckon he suddenly found that intensity playing for Coburg and the improved performance actually had nothing to do with playing a different role?

GoodOne said:
The team is not here to change its structure to suit where Tambling feels most omfortable, Tambling needs to fit in to wherever the team feels he can benefit the club the most. He is not a midfielder, never has been and never will be.

More assertion from you with nothing at all to back it up. He was a midfielder as a junior and unarguably his best stretch of form as an AFL player has come as a flanker playing essentially a midfield role.

I agree that players need to play where it most benefits the club but some players just don't have the skills to play in certain roles. Tambling isn't the only player to be put into a new role and fail.

Hopefully the club will find a new "Role" for Tambling next year.It just won,t be in Richmond colors.

Do you not think the fact Hardwick is on record as saying running midfielders are our single biggest need but he has still sent Tambling packing to learn a backline role says something about Bliings midfield capabilities Disco?

I think that's as big a mystery as playing him in a role most of us knew he wouldn't be any good at for 4 months.

Bling's midfield capabilities were on show for an extended period. Do you reckon he somehow forgot how he did it?

Johncock is a good comparison. is good in a back pocket when he can run forwards, in straight lines and run the ball out of defence, but struggles when he goes into the middle, where reading the play, positioning, and 360 degrees awareness is vital. Tambling stuggles in this area. Similar to Johncock, Tambling is quick, athletic, and good in the air and the club should model his game in a similar way.

Agree with you that Tambling might make a good player in a similar role to Johncock. Graham's never shown anything much in the midfield though and Tambling's performance after Rawlings gave him the opportunity was well above average.

Disco08 said:
I think that's as big a mystery as playing him in a role most of us knew he wouldn't be any good at for 4 months.

Bling's midfield capabilities were on show for an extended period. Do you reckon he somehow forgot how he did it?

No its not a mystery to leysy as bling doesnt have the capability to play midfield long term ILO & Dimma obviously knows this.

Half a season where he played decent footy rolling through half forward, half back & sometimes through the middle doesnt prove his long term midfield capabilities to leysy. The qualities that have let him down in this area for years still do. Has anything changed from a couple of years ago as leysy posted below. Sorry it wouldnt let leysy quote.

5 FOOTBALL / DYER-TRIBE / Re: Tambling (Merged)on: September 19, 2008, 03:40:06 pm
Started by geoffryprettyboy, Message by Leysy Days

Leysy's concern as we know, is it just doesnt come natural for Ritchie in the middle where its tight, tough & confined ILO. He hasn't got that natural feel in close that very good young midfielders bring, even they might not be getting a lot of it. The good one's (even at a young age) dont need that split second to look up to see whats around which causes a fumble or to get caught or to rush a possession causing a turnover. A good example is someone like Edwards who is over two years younger than Ritch. Even though Eddie prob wont be top shelf, (heck if he doesnt improve his kicking he mightnt even make it), but he does have that vision, feel & awareness in close that is crucial & leysy believes cant be greatly improved upon.

Its for these reasons that Regardless of whats any possession stats say, leysy's long held the belief if Ritchie is to carve out a career he needs to get out a back flank where he see the play ahead, have more time to assess options & use his pace to advantage. Think Terry was starting to think this way as well over the last 7-8 games & He did perform well there when given the chance. i.e Vs Davey against Melbourne & Vs Brisbane from memory.

Leysy Days said:
No its not a mystery to leysy as bling doesnt have the capability to play midfield long term ILO & Dimma obviously knows this.

Or having operations and missing most of the pre season meant he doesn't have the fitness base for a midfield role this season, which is perhaps why Hardwick tried him in the forward line to start with.

Leysy Days said:
Half a season where he played decent footy rolling through half forward, half back & sometimes through the middle doesnt prove his long term midfield capabilities to leysy. The qualities that have let him down in this area for years still do.

When it's the only opportunity he's had at a prolonged run in the attacking midfield role (his self-proclaimed favourite and the position he played as a junior) it proves he's capable at the very least.

BTW, I thought you were overseas for most of these games? Did you go back and watch them all to see where he was playing?

Not sure why you even tried to quote yourself when you've said a few times now you don't want to go over old ground. The funny thing is though, the year after you made these statements Tambling was performing very well in the exact areas you suggested he had nothing.

Leysy Days said:
Do you not think the fact Hardwick is on record as saying running midfielders are our single biggest need but he has still sent Tambling packing to learn a backline role says something about Bliings midfield capabilities Disco?

BINGO. Tambling is not part of the midfield palns moving forward. Why would he send him to Coburg to get form as a flanker if he wants him long term to be a mid.

Why would he play him forward when we all know he struggles there and has done repeatedly?

Disco08 said:
Why would he play him forward when we all know he struggles there and has done repeatedly?

Because there is better and more talented players than Tambling up back playing rebounding roles such as Deledio/Connors/Newman?

Makes no sense. Why play him at all if the only spot you can find for him is one he's no good at.

Is it feasible his fitness is low thanks to not having much of a preseason?

Barnzy said:
Because there is better and more talented players than Tambling up back playing rebounding roles such as Deledio/Connors/Newman?

If any of these players can be just as good in another position, then we'll have say Deledio/Tambling/Newman at HB and Connors at HF playing good footy for example.

Four good players is better than three. Newman won't even be around in a couple of years too. Plenty of room back there if Richie can perform to the level he did last year.

Disco08 said:
Makes no sense. Why play him at all if the only spot you can find for him is one he's no good at.

Is it feasible his fitness is low thanks to not having much of a preseason?

Possibly. However, did he not say in an article he was ready to attack the season after last year with a healed body and mind? I remember seeing that quote. Fitness after 17 rounds sounds like an excuse to me. I just think it's a combination of an average player who needs to get the best out of himself to be an effective player but also doesn't have the right mindset. Quite evident he hasn't been working hard enough this year. Maybe being dropped back to Coburg will make him do that but his value really has to be questioned after 6 years if he still can't do that consistently. We will see what's his like in the new position.

rockstar_tiger said:
If any of these players can be just as good in another position, then we'll have say Deledio/Tambling/Newman at HB and Connors at HF playing good footy for example.

Four good players is better than three. Newman won't even be around in a couple of years too. Plenty of room back there if Richie can perform to the level he did last year.

Agree. Didn't say there wasn't room was just suggesting maybe DH prefers those few rebounding rather than Tambling as they have more talent and skill. Thus he tried to find Tambling a new position within the team and he failed to adapt, badly. Now back at square one. One will obviously move out to the midfield, maybe Deledio who I think has played his best football in the midfield and feel it's his best position. Or, most likely Tambling will try to take Farmer's role and negate opposition smalls from the BP while rebounding. Only time I've ever seen him play that role for any period was in round this year when we were being carved up by Betts and co. Still, may be his best and only shot to cement a spot.

Disco08 said:
Do you reckon he suddenly found that intensity playing for Coburg and the improved performance actually had nothing to do with playing a different role?

You don't need the same intensity to do well at Coburg. If you don't know that then there's nothing else to say. Where did I say I don't think the improved performance had nothing to do with playing a different role? Reasons don't have to be exclusive.

Disco08 said:
More assertion from you with nothing at all to back it up. He was a midfielder as a junior and unarguably his best stretch of form as an AFL player has come as a flanker playing essentially a midfield role.

Yes I know you keep telling us how great he waas LAST year and how great he was in the midfield as a JUNIOR. Frankly I don't care how well he played in juniors. Plenty of gun juniors never came on to succeeed at AFL level. A flanker essentially playing a midfield role? So which was it, flanker or midfielder?

Disco08 said:
I agree that players need to play where it most benefits the club but some players just don't have the skills to play in certain roles. Tambling isn't the only player to be put into a new role and fail.

This is the problem. They're struggling to find a role for Tambling to play in. Let's hope their new job for him in the backline comes to fruition. Beyond that there's not alot left to try.