Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Seems to happen at Collingwood. Amazing how hacks such as Goldsack and Toovey can be effective.

Plenty of other players have switched into defence and turned their careers around, not sure why its such a bad thing for Tambling
Even if he does end up getting traded, I'd much rather it be with him playing fantastic football on the back flank than floundering in a forward pocket.

I wonder for how long we will be referring back to mid to late 2009 as evidence that the kid has what it takes? A relatively short space of time in what is already a 6 year career.

St.Kilda supporters have been doing this with Kozi referring to his purple patch 5 or 6 years ago. I hope it doesn't drag on like this, one way or another.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Id give him another week with Coburg

I don't see the point with five games left skipper.
He either stands up mentally or he's moved on.

No more mucking about play him as our small defender.
He already showed last year he is capable and is above Coburg level IMO.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's possible. Whose spot is he going to take down there? Farmer's? Connors'? Deledio's? Newman's?

It's interesting that you have named four other players who have also struggled to various extents to master any other position other than the back line. Tambling has been roundly criticised for his inability to play anywhere else, however he has plenty of company amongst the players you have named and none of those guys have been forced elsewhere or criticised for their lack of flexibility.

One thing is certain, cross "small running half back" off the list of draft requirements for next year.

Would love nothing more than for Ritchie to play good footy,but his skills under pressure & decision making need to improve & he needs to impact games,not just run around lost & be the designated man on the mark then chase @ 75%

Jumping Jack said:
In terms of natual ability he is a massive talent, but as I said due to reasons unknown he as just not been able to apply that talent. If he had of been picked up by a club that actually put money into player development ie Collingwood, I believe he could be a standout in th league!

He is not a massive talent. That is obvious after almost 6 years in the system. He can be still become a core player though if he puts his mind to it. He does have some good attributes but unlike those with massive talent, he needs to work at it to get the most out of himself.

linuscambridge said:
It's interesting that you have named four other players who have also struggled to various extents to master any other position other than the back line. Tambling has been roundly criticised for his inability to play anywhere else, however he has plenty of company amongst the players you have named and none of those guys have been forced elsewhere or criticised for their lack of flexibility.

Connors, Deledio and Newman would be putting up much better performances than Tambling has this year playing further up the ground so I don't get your point. Farmer is an unknown. All of them could play in a range of positions and do well, DH prefers them off-half back though. Obviously that's because they're much more talented than Tambling who is just an average player. Stop trying to make excuses for him, he now has to be babied to half-back, if he fails he should be traded/delisted.

Barnzy said:
Connors, Deledio and Newman would be putting up much better performances than Tambling has this year playing further up the ground so I don't get your point. Farmer is an unknown. All of them could play in a range of positions and do well, DH prefers them off-half back though. Obviously that's because they're much more talented than Tambling who is just an average player. Stop trying to make excuses for him, he now has to be babied to half-back, if he fails he should be traded/delisted.

Are you kidding me?

My point is simple, 4 blokes who have either failed or been mediocre playing in positions other than where they now find themselves, in the back line. And yet people are not baying for their de-listing because of their inability to play more than one position. You have no argument from me about the form of Tambling this year, mediocre at best, however I don't see why he shouldn't be given a chance to shine in the position he did last year, as have many of his team mates including the 4 named.

Conners - played a few cameos in the forward pocket over the years but basically could not get a game or hold a place in the worst team in the league since his drafting until this year, and his rebirth on a back flank. He is a better footballer now after a few years developement at coburg, but any assertion by you that he could play anywhere else on the field but where he is, is just guess work on your behalf because he hasn't done it yet.

Deledio- no doubt not the disappointment Tambling has been so far, but far from lived up to his hype playing in the mid-field or forward. Surely you have been around this site long enough to remember the luke warm response to Deledio in his other performances further up the field. Now, playing back under Hardwick he is finally looking like a number 1 draft pick.

Newman - It's been awhile since Newman played consistantly anywhere but running out of the back line. He has been there a long time and has yet to force his way into a regular midfield rotation, probably because his cameos in the midfield have been un-inspiring.

Farmer - meh!

Best case, Tambling re-discovers last years good form and blossoms into another dangerous half back. Worst case, we find out he is just not good enough and we can close that chapter for good.

I think you misunderstood what was posted. If any of those named (besides Farmer who is an unknown) moved to the position Tambling has played their performances wouldn't be as pathetic, in fact they would do well because they have much more talent than him. His position is not an excuse for his inept performances. I never said he sholdn't get a chance at half-back either, just it should be his last and if he fails he should be traded.

linuscambridge said:
Conners - played a few cameos in the forward pocket over the years but basically could not get a game or hold a place in the worst team in the league since his drafting until this year, and his rebirth on a back flank. He is a better footballer now after a few years developement at coburg, but any assertion by you that he could play anywhere else on the field but where he is, is just guess work on your behalf because he hasn't done it yet.

Connors will be able to play anywhere. Has possibly the most skill of anyone at the Tigers. Hasn't lived up to expectations because of attitude. Happens with youngsters with tremendous amounts of skill who didn't have to work hard in the junior leagues.

linuscambridge said:
Deledio- no doubt not the disappointment Tambling has been so far, but far from lived up to his hype playing in the mid-field or forward. Surely you have been around this site long enough to remember the luke warm response to Deledio in his other performances further up the field. Now, playing back under Hardwick he is finally looking like a number 1 draft pick.

Yes has only won 2 B&Fs playing midfield at the Tigers. All hype I'm sure. The reason Deledio has been playing back is because finally we''ve been able to afford to move him into a position we have had gaping deficiencies in. It's the reason, for example, that a Hawthorn might play a Hodge or the Saints a Goddard in a similar role even though they can play midfield perfectly well and excel. With Martin doing so well as a first year and Cotchin getting more game time it has given us some flexibility we haven't had before. Deledio is the sort of player who can play anywhere on the ground. And let's not forget he's just 22

linuscambridge said:
Newman - It's been awhile since Newman played consistantly anywhere but running out of the back line. He has been there a long time and has yet to force his way into a regular midfield rotation, probably because his cameos in the midfield have been un-inspiring.
Agree her, think Newman's best position is definitely half back flank. A very penetrating kick and skillful and knows how to read the flight of the ball very well.

linuscambridge said:
Farmer - meh!
backman through and through. Too slow for midfield and not the tank required (yet anyway).

linuscambridge said:
Best case, Tambling re-discovers last years good form and blossoms into another dangerous half back. Worst case, we find out he is just not good enough and we can close that chapter for good.

Make or break time. Backline is the only option for Tambling imo.

Barnzy said:
I think you misunderstood what was posted. If any of those named (besides Farmer who is an unknown) moved to the position Tambling has played their performances wouldn't be as pathetic, in fact they would do well because they have much more talent than him. His position is not an excuse for his inept performances. I never said he sholdn't get a chance at half-back either, just it should be his last and if he fails he should be traded.

Mate do you have any type of clue? I am pro-farmer but Tambling has achieved a lot more in his 6 years than Farmer in his 3. In fact I would go to say that Tambling's first three years were significantly better than Farmer's. To suggest without any that Farmer has more talent and would excel in positions Tambling has been playing (when Farmer has in fact been struggling to excel in the positions he is currently playing, playing ok but no where near Excelling) is just ridiculous. So what are you basing your claim that Farmer etc have more talent than Tambling? Tambling has a *smile* year no doubt but I would like you to back up your statement.

Many thanks in advance.

shawry said:
Mate do you have any type of clue? I am pro-farmer but Tambling has achieved a lot more in his 6 years than Farmer in his 3. In fact I would go to say that Tambling's first three years were significantly better than Farmer's. To suggest without any that Farmer has more talent and would excel in positions Tambling has been playing (when Farmer has in fact been struggling to excel in the positions he is currently playing, playing ok but no where near Excelling) is just ridiculous. So what are you basing your claim that Farmer etc have more talent than Tambling? Tambling has a sh!t year no doubt but I would like you to back up your statement.

Many thanks in advance.

Mate do you have any type of clue? Where did I say anything about Farmer other than "Besides Farmer who is an unknown"? Learn to read posts before you mash the post button in anger.