Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Tygrys said:
I really hope this is Tamblings last year at Richmond. He just isn't worth the angst. If there was any legitimate hope yet that he could be elite, A-grade or special it might be worth perserving with him. But what is all this angst about? Basically the forlorn hope that he might become a consistent serviceable contributor, a foot soldier. Certainly every team needs them, but even that seems from what we have seen from the majority of his career beyond him. And even with the middling picks that we'll likely get, we'd probably have a better chance of getting someone to fulfill that modest capacity than continuing with Tambling. If he had been a pick 40 instead of 4 his papers would already have been stamped. Six years is frankly long enough to know if he'll be any good.

If our recent success rate continues (which I don't think it will 8)) that angst will just be transferred to someone else. Tambling is just the current whipping boy and his form this season does make him the easiest target.

Big Cat Lover said:
Makes no sense that they play someone in a different position to determine if he can play there? When this whole year and next year is about development of the players and the list? When versatility is a modern cornerstone?

No, it makes no sense if they're playing him solely to maximise his trade value (as we were discussing).

Big Cat Lover said:
In other words I'm not saying they have written him off from the start, I'm saying they are testing his versatility - he has been given an extended run in this position to satisfy the match committee whether he has flexibility as a player - I don't think his trade value will be affected by his form. Teams will always give a high draft pick a second chance - ie they assume a new start may get the best out of the player - unless serious injury issues are a concern.

Disagree on both points. Firstly, an extended run is one thing but this is ridiculous. They would have figured out long ago it's not working.

Secondly, Tambling's trade value would have been substantially greater last year than it is right now, no question.

Big Cat Lover said:
I reckon we've got 8 better options through the midfield. Deledio/Cotchin/Martin/Foley/Cousins/Tuck/Edwards/Nason. These guys have one thing in common that Tambling lacks - desire.

The fact he lacks desire is purely an assumption. I know it can look like that but there's no way the coaching staff or the executive would tolerate a player taking the field for the RFC and not giving it 100%. If he had no desire he'd be playing for Coburg reserves or would have been Capuaoned.

On his most recent form in a midfield role his performances were easily better than Edwards or Nason. Obviously Deledio looks like a half back player now and Cousins is nearly done. There's room for him (even a need for him) if he can find last year's form.

GoodOne said:
3 posts in a row you refer to last year. Last year was last year. Ask Aker.

So what? Akermanis is 50 and way over the hill. Tambling is 23 and should have just hit his peak, not regressed back to the form he showed as a teenager.

Tygrys said:
I really hope this is Tamblings last year at Richmond. He just isn't worth the angst. If there was any legitimate hope yet that he could be elite, A-grade or special it might be worth perserving with him. But what is all this angst about? Basically the forlorn hope that he might become a consistent serviceable contributor, a foot soldier. Certainly every team needs them, but even that seems from what we have seen from the majority of his career beyond him. And even with the middling picks that we'll likely get, we'd probably have a better chance of getting someone to fulfill that modest capacity than continuing with Tambling. If he had been a pick 40 instead of 4 his papers would already have been stamped. Six years is frankly long enough to know if he'll be any good.

Only if you believe this year is a true indication of his abilities, which IMO it isn't. I didn't see you making this point over the summer.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Tambling is just the current whipping boy and his form this season does make him the easiest target.

The whip, with his name on it, has been cracking for 6 years.

French Tiger said:
On another site someone is claiming he is off to the Gold Coast

Does that mean the AFL will compensate us with a 1st round pick?
We all know how good Ambling is.

btoz_01 said:
Does that mean the AFL will compensate us with a 1st round pick?
We all know how good Ambling is.

compensation is dictated by the age of the player and the salary GC give him

super_coach said:
he would be on good money at richmond - would not be going up there for cheap

not necessarily, he hasn't had a break out year like Lids to demand the big renegotiation

I'd be expecting him around $300-330, which is okay but not first round pick quality IMO

Tiger74 said:
compensation is dictated by the age of the player and the salary GC give him

Ambling would be a marque player at GC demanding $,$$$,$$$ salary.
Hes still got at least 7 years of AFL footy left in him.
Id expect nothing less from the AFL than a 1st round pick as compensation for Ambling.

Disco08 said:
So what? Akermanis is 50 and way over the hill. Tambling is 23 and should have just hit his peak, not regressed back to the form he showed as a teenager.

Except that his form right now is probably worse than as a teenager. Point not being Akermanis is over the hill, point being last year was last year.

GoodOne said:
Except that his form right now is probably worse than as a teenager. Point not being Akermanis is over the hill, point being last year was last year.
He wouldn't have got drafted if he showed this form as a teenager.

Disco08 said:
Disagree on both points. Firstly, an extended run is one thing but this is ridiculous. They would have figured out long ago it's not working.

Secondly, Tambling's trade value would have been substantially greater last year than it is right now, no question.
Geez, a bit of criticism for Tambling - is this a first?

In my list of midfield options forgot to add Jackson.

Tambling just looks like he is not giving his best but he must be because he wouldn't get a game if he wasn't? You sure about that? Bronx cheers aren't given without a reason Disco. It's not the first time he's got them. Hopefully something changes this week. Tambling to Davis or *smile* or Didak. The free ride should end for Richie, lets make him work for his paycheck.

Tambling puts in too many below par games, his omission is warranted.

Finally Ambling has been dropped :clap :clap if other players (Morton) are made to earn their spot the same should apply to Ambling.