Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

"Players need to find it within themselves - if they are not competitive then they will find themselves out the door" - D. Hardwick in his first press conference as coach of the RFC.

jb03 said:
Perhaps Patsy Dimma should give him an extended run as a principal onballer for a few matches. Looking to the future, this could help determine whether the club/coaching staff sees Tambling as having the ability to be part of the midfield rotations. (We know the view of a majority PREnders).

I reckon Hardwick would have seen enough last year to know Tambling's abilities in a midfield role jimbob. Obviously though he's seen something that needs to be worked on and that's why Tambling's being picked in this position week after week despite seemingly poor performance throughout.

Spanish Prisoner said:
The people you are talking about won a flag after a three year rebuild - the most stunning in the history of the draft. I would suggest they were reasonably clever, and had some idea about what they were doing, without using consensus views from internet forums...

I'm not saying that they weren't, far from it. There is a mantra that you always go with the most talented player with your first pick irregardless of position. Depending upon how your draft picks pan out over the course of a number of years you might end up having a very talented group of midfielders for example but mediocrity elsewhere. It wouldn't suprise me if Hawthorn rated both Griffin and Tambling talent wise above Roughhead but they wanted to build a champion team and not just a team of champions. That was more than reasonably clever in my book.

a player that cant find the footy, cant win a contested ball, shirks a contest, wont chase, has poor awareness and poor disposal under pressure, doesnt work hard, wont spread - CANT play midfield

Basically RT is an astronaught - good in space (at AFL level you just dont have space anymore)

RT has 2 great assetts thats other players would kill for, speed and evasiveness, if he cant play wing he is dead in the water

If he improves on all the issues in the first sentence he would make an excellent outside mid - the question is if and i think thats why DH is playing him

Barnzy said:
"Players need to find it within themselves - if they are not competitive then they will find themselves out the door" - D. Hardwick in his first press conference as coach of the RFC.

That deserves a high five Barnzy.

Do we have a high five thingamajig?

Tango said:
a player that cant find the footy, cant win a contested ball, shirks a contest, wont chase, has poor awareness and poor disposal under pressure, doesnt work hard, wont spread - CANT play midfield

Tambling was one of Richmond's best for finding the footy, winning contested ball and disposing of it last year. So while he's not doing it at the moment he certainly is capable of doing it.

Tango said:

:hihi

no-ones arguing that Hardwick shouldn't have moved Lids to the half-black flank :hihi

he still has them, just not using them? dont know why?
you dont lose pace and evasiveness..... something is just not clicking with RT
the rest of the young kids seem to have improved under DH but RT has gone backwards...
Im sure DH realises that there is talent there but just not on show atm, thats why i believe he is playing RT, also there is a shortage of running players atm with jackson, cotchin and foley all out

Disco08 said:
Nuh, sorry, makes no sense to me. If this year is all about the future then trades are a definite part of that. In that respect all they'd have to do is let him play as an attacking midfielder (as he's said he wants to) like he essentially did last year.

I also disagree we have better midfield options. How many midfielders does a good side need each week? 8? 10? Surely Tambling's form last year (when he most recently played a role that had anything to with midfield) was good enough to be our 8th best midfielder?

Makes no sense that they play someone in a different position to determine if he can play there? When this whole year and next year is about development of the players and the list? When versatility is a modern cornerstone?
In other words I'm not saying they have written him off from the start, I'm saying they are testing his versatility - he has been given an extended run in this position to satisfy the match committee whether he has flexibility as a player - I don't think his trade value will be affected by his form. Teams will always give a high draft pick a second chance - ie they assume a new start may get the best out of the player - unless serious injury issues are a concern.

I reckon we've got 8 better options through the midfield. Deledio/Cotchin/Martin/Foley/Cousins/Tuck/Edwards/Nason. These guys have one thing in common that Tambling lacks - desire.

Disco08 said:
Tambling was one of Richmond's best for finding the footy, winning contested ball and disposing of it last year. So while he's not doing it at the moment he certainly is capable of doing it.

3 posts in a row you refer to last year. Last year was last year. Ask Aker. Tambling has proven he can be an above average player (lets not get too overboard with his season last year - it was very encouraging). I agree with Leysey, he has limited vision and lack of footy nous to be a regular midfielder. Certainly has very little sense around goals. An outside role is much more suited to his style, wing maybe but preferably a backline position. If that fails then time to ship out. I agree with disco though, I dont think Tambling will be traded or delisted at the end of the year. If the club has perceived that injury has prevented him from delivering to his potential then I think the Tigers will give him another pre-season to prove his worth. So reckon we could see a few more Tamblng pages yet.

10.30pm Wed night and 'Tambling' and 'Jon' threads dominate the top 3 threads.
All we need is a Cleve thread to appear and the nightmare is complete.
:vomit

Big Cat Lover said:
I don't think his trade value will be affected by his form. Teams will always give a high draft pick a second chance - ie they assume a new start may get the best out of the player - unless serious injury issues are a concern.

Dont remember anyone giving Lounder another chance.

I really hope this is Tamblings last year at Richmond. He just isn't worth the angst. If there was any legitimate hope yet that he could be elite, A-grade or special it might be worth perserving with him. But what is all this angst about? Basically the forlorn hope that he might become a consistent serviceable contributor, a foot soldier. Certainly every team needs them, but even that seems from what we have seen from the majority of his career beyond him. And even with the middling picks that we'll likely get, we'd probably have a better chance of getting someone to fulfill that modest capacity than continuing with Tambling. If he had been a pick 40 instead of 4 his papers would already have been stamped. Six years is frankly long enough to know if he'll be any good.

Tygrys said:
I really hope this is Tamblings last year at Richmond. He just isn't worth the angst. If there was any legitimate hope yet that he could be elite, A-grade or special it might be worth perserving with him. But what is all this angst about? Basically the forlorn hope that he might become a consistent serviceable contributor, a foot soldier. Certainly every team needs them, but even that seems from what we have seen from the majority of his career beyond him. And even with the middling picks that we'll likely get, we'd probably have a better chance of getting someone to fulfill that modest capacity than continuing with Tambling. If he had been a pick 40 instead of 4 his papers would already have been stamped. Six years is frankly long enough to know if he'll be any good.

Well said.