Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

I don't think Bling is in the Leadership Group per se. He's been given a leadership role which I think is to be the point person for our indigenous boys.

Disco08 said:
Even that makes little sense. Hardwick gave Tambling a spot in the leadership group this year and, according to this article also told him his future is at the RFC.

New coach Damien Hardwick gave Tambling a leadership role and, at the same time, told him his future was at Richmond.

"He pretty much told me I was needed in the team and everything we were going to do within the next 12 months, however long it takes, was geared towards winning a premiership," he said.

"We are working on, how do I say this, we are working on winning behaviours. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it improves each other ... and we play as a team and win as a team."

To be fair outside one or two players Hardwick is always going to say any player's future is at Richmond. He is hardly going to go to the player or media & say otherwise. its lip service that you cant read much into.

Also on Richie's future, Hardwick has only one voice on the list management committee. CC oversees that process & rightly not Dimma so Tamblings future is only partly made by the coaches call.

Maybe. As Baloo correctly pointed out, giving him a leadership role doesn't seem like lip service.

I don't think they're looking at trading him either (I understand who makes these calls). If they were surely they'd be playing him in one of the roles he's done well in previously and not one he's never seemed comfortable in. Makes far more sense doesn't it?

Disco08 said:
Rubbish. How stupid do you think Hardwick and his team are, honestly?

I agree his performances this year don't warrant selection, but that doesn't make me assume these guys are dumb enough to select a player because of their draft position. That's beyond idiocy IMO.

whichever way you look at it, he has been hopeless this year. even if his role has been to apply pressure in the forward line, and occupy certain positions on the field where his posession count isn't that impoprtant - he has been terrible imo. runs to the wrong spots, tackles easily brushed off, jogs and pretends to chase, is happy to be near enough to the action to look like he's trying. if his role has been to witness the play around him then he's been brilliant.

Disco08 said:
Maybe. As Baloo correctly pointed out, giving him a leadership role doesn't seem like lip service.

I don't think they're looking at trading him either (I understand who makes these calls). If they were surely they'd be playing him in one of the roles he's done well in previously and not one he's never seemed comfortable in. Makes far more sense doesn't it?

Played further forward in Nasons role on the weekend. Just doesnt have the nouse or smarts for it so no suprise it was his worst game of the year. As you say he isnt suited to it. Unfortunately for Richie the halfback line is going to be hard to crack. Lids, Newman & now Connors are very good there. Farmer's back pocket role is his best bet of a decent AFL future with us ILO.

I don't disagree that BP might suit him, but what about the role he played consistently well for 12 rounds to end last year? Given that's the role he wants to play and the role he's most recently performed well, wouldn't it make sense

Harry said:
whichever way you look at it, he has been hopeless this year. even if his role has been to apply pressure in the forward line, and occupy certain positions on the field where his posession count isn't that impoprtant - he has been terrible imo. runs to the wrong spots, tackles easily brushed off, jogs and pretends to chase, is happy to be near enough to the action to look like he's trying. if his role has been to witness the play around him then he's been brilliant.

Of course he's been hopeless. No one's arguing. The question is why he keeps getting picked (and why some people continue to say the coaches are happy with him) and IMO it sure as *smile* isn't because of his draft position.

He's also 3rd in effective tackles for the Tiges.

Disco08 said:
I don't disagree that BP might suit him, but what about the role he played consistently well for 12 rounds to end last year? Given that's the role he wants to play and the role he's most recently performed well, wouldn't it make sense

He's been played off a wing (if thats what you mean) a lot this year for not much impact Disco. Webberley has since come in & taken up that role & probably deserves a crack at it before giving it back to Tambling at the moment given Jeromey's decent form.

Last year he started mostly on a flank and then joined the on ballers. He was at virtually every stoppage and was running from deep back to deep forward. That's nothing like the roles I've been able to observe him playing this year.

Dont think the coach lets his players run wherever they like anymore so Richie has needed to learn to play a role within a new gameplan like everyone else.

Even then it was small smattering of games when compared to his career, but not going over that again.

Who said anything about running wherever he wants? Midfielders don't basically follow the ball around all over the field from stoppage to stoppage? This is essentially what Tambling was doing after starting on a flank.

Disco08 said:

Not necessarily. They may be testing his flexibility as a footballer. Given we appear to have better options at a HBF they are working out whether he has value as a HFF. Thus far he is not showing enough.
For mine we have better midfield options, better HBF options, he is not showing much as a forward and they are reluctant to try him where I think he is best suited - in a BP - that leaves him on the trading sheet for mine. If he continues to perform poorly clubs may pay an even higher price thinking they've got a "renovators dream". :D

Nuh, sorry, makes no sense to me. If this year is all about the future then trades are a definite part of that. In that respect all they'd have to do is let him play as an attacking midfielder (as he's said he wants to) like he essentially did last year.

I also disagree we have better midfield options. How many midfielders does a good side need each week? 8? 10? Surely Tambling's form last year (when he most recently played a role that had anything to with midfield) was good enough to be our 8th best midfielder?

Disco08 said:
Who said anything about running wherever he wants? Midfielders don't basically follow the ball around all over the field from stoppage to stoppage? This is essentially what Tambling was doing after starting on a flank.

Hardwick doesnt like Tambling in or near a stoppage. Rightly so ILO.

Leysy will stand by his view of Richie's weaknesses that limit & will continue to limit his output that have been said by leysy for many years now.

i.e lack of awareness in close, doesnt know when & where to run, poor vision. Said at at the time they are very tough to learn & still stand by it.

Not going into this again, been done a thousand times.

Yet he sends him to the occasional centre bounce when others are resting or injured. Surely he could find someone else if Tambling is so useless at a stoppage.

You stand by your opinion if you like. I prefer to look at something more tangible, like actual performance. In that regard, Tambling showed very clearly his ability to play that role. To me it'd make sense to see him play it again before writing those performances (where he displayed above average vision and awareness) off as flukes.

SAF said:
You must have been under a rock in the lead up to that draft. All the talk was that Deledio, Griffen and Tambling were the top 3 prospects.
Roughhead was the one that was expected to go later than he did and it was a shock than Hawthorn overlooked Griffen, certainly looks like that was a big mistake at this stage of their careers.

Franklin was the one that a lot of clubs had big concerns about this work ethic and attitude. Some clubs were shocked by how arrogant Franklin was in draft camp interviews and would not have drafted him at all. Personally I'm not sure I could bear to watch Franklin play for Richmond, I have seen more than enough bad goal kicking and enigmatic play during Richo's career. As poor as Tambling has been, Richmond made the same decision that all clubs would have made if they were faced with the same choice at Pick 4 at that time. In hindsight they would all have picked Franklin but the same can be said about James Hird.

I seem to recall the expected choices were Deledio and Roughead with our picks 1 and 4?

Disco08 said:
Yet he sends him to the occasional centre bounce when others are resting or injured. Surely he could find someone else if Tambling is so useless at a stoppage.

You stand by your opinion if you like. I prefer to look at something more tangible, like actual performance. In that regard, Tambling showed very clearly his ability to play that role. To me it'd make sense to see him play it again before writing those performances (where he displayed above average vision and awareness) off as flukes.

Tambling has been running between half back to half forward most of the year, with a slight propensity to be winning slightly more ball forward of centre. Simply his shortcomings have found him out.

& He is occasionally around stoppages as you say. Just said Hardwick doesnt like it. If he did like him in that role he would be given more time than the little he has there dont you think?

tigertim said:
I seem to recall the expected choices were Deledio and Roughead with our picks 1 and 4?

Yep, that's my recollection. I think the expected order was Lids, Tambling, Griffin, Roughead. The Hawks 'swooped' on Roughead @ 2, and we picked up Tambling at 4.

Mr Pumblechook said:
Yep, that's my recollection. I think the expected order was Lids, Tambling, Griffin, Roughead. The Hawks 'swooped' on Roughead @ 2, and we picked up Tambling at 4.
We were so confident of getting Roughead that I believe he was invited to the BBQ at Uncle Clinton's place.

Leysy Days said:
Tambling has been running between half back to half forward most of the year, with a slight propensity to be winning slightly more ball forward of centre. Simply his shortcomings have found him out.

Disagree. I've seen most games this year (not all), and every game I've seen he's spent the majority of it playing half forward. When he's playing this position he never goes to the stoppages so again it's chalk and cheese compared to last year.

If you think his shortcomings have suddenly arisen to take him from 4th in the B&F and a string of good performances to probably last in the B&F and a season of poor performances, fair enough. I don't see it as a possibility myself, especially given the fact Hardwick keeps picking him.

Leysy Days said:
& He is occasionally around stoppages as you say. Just said Hardwick doesnt like it. If he did like him in that role he would be given more time than the little he has there dont you think?

No. If this year was about playing him in a role he's going to help the team in he wouldn't have been playing HFF most of the year. I think this year is about Tambling working on his deficiencies, namely the defensive part of his game. He's basically said as much in interviews this year.

I know you said Hardwick doesn't like it. How do you know that though? He hasn't said it in the media. Are you personal friends with him? Part of the inner sanctum that discusses this type of thing?

Disco08 said:

Perhaps Patsy Dimma should give him an extended run as a principal onballer for a few matches. Looking to the future, this could help determine whether the club/coaching staff sees Tambling as having the ability to be part of the midfield rotations. (We know the view of a majority PREnders).