Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Tigers of Old said:
I like it. Good thing McMuffin & Pettifer aren't still playing then. :hihi

good things for petts he never had dimma for a coach ;D

LidsBling&Cotch said:
some of the things i heard from tiger people around me was seriously disgusting

Unfortunately that is what I have come to expect. Sitting in the outer makes me think the more famous episodes like the chicken manure at Punt Road or the spitting at the coach are not the worst things - just the things caught on camera that are able to be broadcast. I heard a number of things this year that could not be broadcast in any shape, manner or form - they were simply too disgusting. Richie is just the latest example of the moronic percentage "eating our own"....

SAF said:
Personally I'm not sure I could bear to watch Franklin play for Richmond, I have seen more than enough bad goal kicking and enigmatic play during Richo's career.

I reckon I could bear it.

SAF said:
You must have been under a rock in the lead up to that draft. All the talk was that Deledio, Griffen and Tambling were the top 3 prospects.
Roughhead was the one that was expected to go later than he did and it was a shock than Hawthorn overlooked Griffen, certainly looks like that was a big mistake at this stage of their careers.

Franklin was the one that a lot of clubs had big concerns about this work ethic and attitude. Some clubs were shocked by how arrogant Franklin was in draft camp interviews and would not have drafted him at all. Personally I'm not sure I could bear to watch Franklin play for Richmond, I have seen more than enough bad goal kicking and enigmatic play during Richo's career. As poor as Tambling has been, Richmond made the same decision that all clubs would have made if they were faced with the same choice at Pick 4 at that time. In hindsight they would all have picked Franklin but the same can be said about James Hird.

I was personally delighted that Tambling slipped to us on the basis he did appear to be one of the three best players. So I can't get really apportion much blame as to why we didn't get Franklin. The funny thing though is that I'm not entirely convinced that Hawthorn believed with their number 2 and 5 picks they were getting necessarily the most talented players available to them in the draft. As you rightly mention Franklins issues were well known, yet I think they were determined to have as much of their elite as possible up and down the spine, because few teams that don't have that kind of tall key position talent win premierships. If there is any hindsight I have learnt from this sorry Tambling saga is that you don't neglect your spine by only using low draft picks and recycled players to fill in key position gaps. That if possible you fix your spine first, if for no other reason it takes longer for talls to mature.

As for being able to take Franklin in Richmond colours, picture him running amok Richo style all over our forward line with Riewoldt lurking around the goal square...um yeah I think I could handle that :-[ (and I will say the most idiotic argument I heard at the time about not having picked Franklin was that he couldn't work with Richo - it's incredible that he lasted as long as he did, but he was never going to last forever - I just seriously hope that was not one of the reasons at the time we went for Tambling, not that any of that really matters now).

ENUFF of the Franklin/Tambling talk. Long time ago...swallow a pill and get over it. Very boring with same old lines rehashed over and over and over and over again ???

Not relevant to how Richie is going and never will be.

More talk on why Richie seems to have gone backward dramatically this year and does he have a future with us going forward, would be of interest.

ROLLS ROYCE said:
ENUFF of the Franklin/Tambling talk. Long time ago...swallow a pill and get over it. Very boring with same old lines rehashed over and over and over and over again ???

Not relevant to how Richie is going and never will be.

More talk on why Richie seems to have gone backward dramatically this year and does he have a future with us going forward, would be of interest.

Hear hear

ROLLS ROYCE said:

In your opinion >:D

Tygrys said:
The funny thing though is that I'm not entirely convinced that Hawthorn believed with their number 2 and 5 picks they were getting necessarily the most talented players available to them in the draft.

The people you are talking about won a flag after a three year rebuild - the most stunning in the history of the draft. I would suggest they were reasonably clever, and had some idea about what they were doing, without using consensus views from internet forums...

Spanish Prisoner said:
The people you are talking about won a flag after a three year rebuild - the most stunning in the history of the draft. I would suggest they were reasonably clever, and had some idea about what they were doing, without using consensus views from internet forums...

This is the Tambling thread. You want to talk up Hawks rebuilds/premiership please go elsewhere. You're just coming across as a trolling thread hijacker.

Franklin fell into hawthorns lap - their goal was to ensure they took roughead at 2 and then tambling at 4. as it turned out they got franklin and he's turned into a gun. majority of richmond supporters were happy we took tambling over franklin. no pont arguing this.

however 6 years down the track tambling has failed to become a good consistent afl player. on performance alone he does not deserve to be named every week, and it appears his draft position has guaranteed him this.

Rubbish. How stupid do you think Hardwick and his team are, honestly?

I agree his performances this year don't warrant selection, but that doesn't make me assume these guys are dumb enough to select a player because of their draft position. That's beyond idiocy IMO.

Disco08 said:
Rubbish. How stupid do you think Hardwick and his team are, honestly?

I agree his performances this year don't warrant selection, but that doesn't make me assume these guys are dumb enough to select a player because of their draft position. That's beyond idiocy IMO.

Certainly hasn't helped Polak.

Harry said:
on performance alone he does not deserve to be named every week, and it appears his draft position has guaranteed him this.
Might look better if we trade him at the end of the year that the Former #4 pick played 20 odd games for Richmond this year rather than he played for Coburg towards the end of the year.

Even that makes little sense. Hardwick gave Tambling a spot in the leadership group this year and, according to this article also told him his future is at the RFC.

New coach Damien Hardwick gave Tambling a leadership role and, at the same time, told him his future was at Richmond.

"He pretty much told me I was needed in the team and everything we were going to do within the next 12 months, however long it takes, was geared towards winning a premiership," he said.

"We are working on, how do I say this, we are working on winning behaviours. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it improves each other ... and we play as a team and win as a team."

That article was at the start of the year, Disco. Things have changed.

Although, I do admire your persistance in this thread despite the overwhelming odds. ;)

Read it Jimmy. For starters it was 4 games into the year. His form was hardly any better then than it is now. Do you also reckon Hardwick would do and say these things and then change his mind 12 weeks later? Doesn't he seem like a coach who has a pretty strong conviction to stick to the plan?

12 weeks is a long time in football, of course Hardwick is going to change his mind on things. I would question anyone who seriously thinks Tambling can be a long-term contributer on his current form. Obviously Hardwick has given Tambling all year to prove himself when on exposed form he should've been dropped many times. Tambling has failed to take that chance. The next 6 weeks are vital for Tambling whether at Coburg or Richmond.

No one thinks he can be a long term contributor on current form. The point of contention is why Hardwick keeps picking him.

I actually disagree the next 6 weeks are vital. I think if Hardwick had told Tambling his future is at Richmond, put him in the leadership group and refused to play him in any of the roles he's proved he can play then they are truly keeping their eye on the bigger picture and Tambling will be there next year.