Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: DELEDIO & TAMBLING

well SteveSharp my friend, looks like it didn't matter who we took first, we got BOTH OF THEM.

YOU LITTLE BLOODY RIPPER

Richmond United said:
Whoooo hooooo........... ;D

We got them both......and meyer to boot!
Everybodys happy. ;)

What a fantastic result.

after all the years of stuffing up draft picks they finally did something right...the sleeping giant could be awakening...

Midfields win Premierships.....

YOU BLOODY BEAUTY !!!!

No more slugs !!

As long as I can remember we have always been slow. Your Knight's Lambert's, Broderick's, Free's, Campbell's etc were all good players but none of them were quick.

Now we have picked up at least 3 speedsters. Wallace has identified our lack of pace and skill in the midfield and has drafted to rectify this. Get the midfield right and it will make our KPP better than they have shown.

bring it on !!

Yoooouuuuuu blooooooodyyy liiiitttttllllle BEAUUUUTTTTTYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bless Miller & Wallace. Bless Deledio & Tambling etc. Welcome to the Tigers boys.
This is the best dream!! ;D ;D :) ;D :) ;D

I must have died last night because I'm in heaven this morning.

Whatever you do - don't wake me up or dig me up. Just let me be.

And Tambling can wear no. 13! After all, he's supposed to be the best Territorian since Michael Long.

And Blumfield not picked up! HAHAHAHAHAHA bad luck Justin that's what happens when you don't put in

Ready said:
And Tambling can wear no. 13! After all, he's supposed to be the best Territorian since Michael Long.

And Blumfield not picked up! HAHAHAHAHAHA bad luck Justin that's what happens when you don't put in

BLUMFIELD : "Sheedy doesn't love me anymore"

LeighW said:
We may have trouble keeping up with the ball at games next year with all this speed

There is a chance they won't get much game time, remember they are only kids.

But I hear ya Leigh, I hear ya  ;D

A tall, super-talented midfielder who can play forward.... we just drafted a young James Hird. Wahoooooooo.

No pressure, Brett, honest. ;)

'Stu

Deledio is on 3AW and has stated that he KNOWS Tambling pretty well.

Good stuff.

Tigers grab Deledio, Tambling
10:46:23 AM Sat 20 November, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal
Richmond has not only snared Brett Deledio but also exciting Northern Territory midfielder Richard Tambling in Saturday's national AFL draft.

As expected Deledio, a 17-year-old midfielder from Kyabram in country Victoria, was the prized number one selection in this year's draft.

But there was a surprise with pick two when Hawthorn decided not to go for Tambling, a goalkicking midfielder regarded as arguably the most exciting player in the draft.

Instead the Hawks chose the much taller Jarryd Roughead, a 193cm key position player from Gippsland Power, at pick two.

The Bulldogs then chose South Australian under 18 captain Ryan Griffen as expected at pick three leaving the Tigers free to claim Tambling with their second selection at pick four.

The next two selections went as expected with the Hawks grabbing another tall at pick five in Perth key forward Lance Franklin while Queensland giant Tom Williams, who only started playing the game a year ago after coming from a rugby league family, was taken by the Bulldogs at pick six.

With the seventh selection, the Hawks took left-footed midfielder Jordan Lewis, tipped to be drafted much later in the first round.

Adelaide then pounced to take Geelong Falcons ruckman John Meesen, with its first selection at pick eight. This meant that West Adelaide ruckman Cameron Wood dropped to pick 18 and the Brisbane Lions, as clubs then loaded up on midfielders.

The first retread to be selected was former Port Adelaide ruckman Cain Ackland, who was taken by St Kilda with pick no.33. The Saints see Ackland as a replacement for the recently departed Trent Knobel, who is expected to find a home in December's National Pre-Season Draft.

Ackland will still only be 23 at the start of next season and has played 12 matches with Port Adelaide since making his debut in 2001 as he struggled for a regular game behind Dean Brogan and Brendan Lade.

Fabian Deluca, the 17 year old 203 centimetre younger brother of Carltons Adrian deluca, who had been expected to be taken in the first round, was not picked up until pick no.35, in a major coup for reigning premier Port Adelaide.

Former Geelong rover David Spriggs went to Sydney as expected with pick 47, while two selections later, former Magpie midfielder Mark McGough was drafted by St Kilda.

Former Hawk defender Mark Graham went to Richmond with pick no.65

RFC website

Article from The Australian

AFL recruit tipped to make a big noise
Ashleigh Wilson
November 20, 2004
The AFL may never have seen, or heard, anyone quite like Richard Tambling.

Since the national competition was formed more than 10 years ago, Aboriginal footballers have preferred to let their football do the talking; for on-field actions to speak louder than words.

For all the exquisite skills of Michael Long or Andrew McLeod and the Norm Smith Medal-winning exploits of Byron Pickett, they have preferred to keep their own counsel, deftly dodging media interviews and side-stepping public attention.

In Tambling, Aboriginal Australia has now produced a footballer happy to speak his mind and step into the spotlight. His name is expected to be read out by Hawthorn today as the second pick in the national draft. And if Tambling is half as good as informed judges are promising, it will not be a name easily forgotten.

"He's got the football world at his feet," says AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan, who likens the 18-year-old to a combination of the Brisbane Lions' Jason Akermanis and West Coast's Chris Judd.

Yet it is only when you meet Tambling that you begin to understand why he is a footballer apart. There is none of the shyness so common in young black footballers. None of the reluctance to be burdened with high expectations. Tambling is ready for the show.

Tambling began playing football in the tiny Aboriginal community of 15 Mile, outside Darwin, aged 10.

"One of my uncles went out the back and cut up a few trees and made goal posts out of them," Tambling recalled. "That's the way it is with every community up here. You get brought up with footy."

When he was 12, he moved to Kakadu and spent much of his free time spear-fishing and hunting. But he never wandered far from football and moved back to Darwin after a few years.

Word of Tambling has been growing. Already he has been described as the best player to come out of the territory since Long, a two-time premiership player for Essendon and father figure to many current Aboriginal players.

"I know Longy and I've watched him play, but there's a lot of improvement in me to get to where he is," says Tambling.

The move to Melbourne holds no fears. But he will take with him his grandmother's advice: "Don't forget where you come from."

He said: "Just thinking about where I've grown up, to where I think I'm going, to where I want to go, it's just a big jump for me. But coming from a small community, it drives you even more to get what you want

Read it and weap Hawks!!!

Hi guys,
Just arrived back from cricketing responsibilities.
I pulled out of this afternoon's one-dayer. One-dayers aren't my style anyway, but our U14s had a very good win, and my son took 2 wickets. So well done to the boys.

And the draft.
Well it's unbelievable.
For the last 3 weeks I've been like a cat on heat saying Deledio or Tambling, Tambling or Deledio for #1. To get both was unbelievable. We've now got Deledio, who may be a James Hird/Bruce Monteath, and Tambling , who will be either a Centre or a 1st rover, a real Kevin Bartlett type.
Two really top juniors.
Obviously there were quite a few surprises.
Our #12 was affected by Lewis and Meesen going early.
Meyer is HF/RR, can kick multiple goals per game like both Deledio and Tambling. Time will tell if he can get enough possies to be a RR.
Pattison was Greg's choice. He's a David Cloke type CHF. Greg liked him for 2 reasons. 1) His camp results, and 2) Knights v Bendigo, Pattison and Kirkby were in a standup marking duel together. Pattison merely shrugged his shoulders and Kirkby fell to the ground. Pattison did get CHF in the TAC Team of the Season.
Polo. Interesting. Redders wont like that we drafted him. I thought he had a great season, including the carnival, right up to the TAC finals. He disappointed in the finals. We missed out on Lewis, we got the next best Polo. I would have preferred JDSmith, but Greg felt that Jesse was too slow and only good at stoppages.
McGuane. At that point we needed a tall defender. McGuane did play well for Qld as a tall defender. Quite skinny but is an athletic tall. Scott Meyer may have been tempting here.
Limbach. Again interesting.
Adaptable as either a FF or a FB. At FF he is a leading player who marks just in front of his face. In the backline he tends to be negative. Doesn't have much ground play. Time will tell if he is more than, as both Greg and I thought, just a tall receiver. Maybe Limbach was Beck's choice. Would have preferred Barling over Limbach. Greg felt Barling was slow.
Pass. Don't know, missed a great opportunity to pick up Dale May. I know both Greg and I loved May. Maybe pass was Beck's choice.
Graham, as you guessed, was no surprise.

Any disappointments on my part. Yes, would have loved places for JDSmith, DMay & JBarling, but as they say you don't get everything in life, but appreciate the really great things you do get.

So at this stage we could see:

B:    .......... ............ ..........
HB:  .......... McGuane ..........
C:    ......... Tambling ...........
HF:   Meyer  Pattison Deledio
F:     ......... Limbach ...........
R:     .......... Polo  .............

Graham - ready immediately, straight to CHB/BP.
Pattison - Strong, could be ready 1st season.
Deledio - 1st season Wing/HFF
Tambling - a season first with Coburg hoping for 300+ possies and 30+ goals.
Meyer - borderline, much like T.Roach.
Polo - still 1-2 years away.
Limbach - like to see him spend a season or two at Coburg and really go for 100 goals in a season.
McGuane - probably 2 -3 years away. Needs to thicken up.

Anyway, good luck boys.

I would like to Thank the Hawthorn Football club in helping us get Tambling well done Guys lol.

Phantom. Tell us more about Polo. I remember you being a big fan early on.