Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: DELEDIO & TAMBLING

Harry said:
Phantom.  Tell us more about Polo.  I remember you being a big fan early on.

Look there's not alot more to say about him that I haven't said before. Besides most of my notes I left at work on yesterday.
Played for Gippsland as a HBF initially. Started getting alot of possessions so he moved into the square as a negative RR, but still gets 20+ possies a game. Don't think you'll see him charging out of the square, take 2 bounces and kick a goal. But he will read the play well, plays tight on his man. Maybe a kick behind play RR. Contrasts well with both Deledio and Tambling who are running types.

Phantom said:
Harry said:

Look there's not alot more to say about him that I haven't said before. Besides most of my notes I left at work on yesterday.
Played for Gippsland as a HBF initially. Started getting alot of possessions so he moved into the square as a negative RR, but still gets 20+ possies a game. Don't think you'll see him charging out of the square, take 2 bounces and kick a goal. But he will read the play well, plays tight on his man. Maybe a kick behind play RR. Contrasts well with both Deledio and Tambling who are running types.

Interesting you say that because Wallca said that he looked at Polo in a role in which he can win the hard ball and dish out to the runners. Good to have someone that can give Coughlan a hand. Note that Coughlan isn't the quickest nor the best kick but very effective. If polo can play in a similar role than I think it's a good decision to get him.

Re Pattison,
No doubt my favourite CHF was Roughead, but he was gone by that stage. Pattison was a very good second preference for CHF. Willets is not a CHF.

Harry said:
Phantom said:
Harry said:

Interesting you say that because Wallca said that he looked at Polo in a role in which he can win the hard ball and dish out to the runners.  Good to have someone that can give Coughlan a hand.  Note that Coughlan isn't the quickest nor the best kick but very effective.  If polo can play in a similar role than I think it's a good decision to get him.

Hope so, but at this stage I think Terry might be a bit over-optimistic. But I could be wrong. JDSmith took Polo right out of game in the TAC preliminary final, as I recall. It's starting to blur now.

Not even in my wildest dreams could I have ever hoped for this scenario.

Nearly fell of my chair when I read AFL.com this morning.

I am amazed there was anyone still sitting at the Richmond table to call out his name when they realised Tambling has slipped through to 4. There is a God.

Bring it on.

I am amazed there was anyone still sitting at the Richmond table to call out his name when they realised Tambling has slipped through to 4.  There is a God.

Bring it on.

I am amazed there was anyone still sitting at the Richmond table to call out his name when they realised Tambling has slipped through to 4.  There is a God.

Bring it on.

OMFG!
OMFG!
HOW THE HELL COULD WE GET BOTH!
I just saw on the TV, Tambling and Deledio with RFC shirts on and I couldnt work out what was happening..
YES! YES! YES! So HAPPY!
Who did the Hawks take?
What happend!
This is too much.

Can't believe the Stupid Hawks took Roughhead to fill a gap in their list, instead of taking Tambling. Everyone picked RT as No 2 pick behind Deladio. Bad luck Hawkers, GO THE TIGERS!!
To get both of these guys was a longshot!

tigers secure deledio/tambling..

Tigers secure Deledio, Tambling
Sportal

Richmond has not only snared Brett Deledio but also exciting Northern Territory midfielder Richard Tambling in Saturday's national AFL draft.

As expected Deledio, a 17-year-old midfielder from Kyabram in country Victoria, was the prized number one selection in this year's draft.

But there was a surprise with pick two when Hawthorn decided not to go for Tambling, a goalkicking midfielder regarded as arguably the most exciting player in the draft.

Instead the Hawks chose the much taller Jarryd Roughead, a 193cm key position player from Gippsland Power, at pick two.

The Bulldogs then chose South Australian under 18 captain Ryan Griffen as expected at pick three leaving the Tigers free to claim Tambling with their second selection at pick four.

The next two selections went as expected with the Hawks grabbing another tall at pick five in Perth key forward Lance Franklin while Queensland giant Tom Williams, who only started playing the game a year ago after coming from a rugby league family, was taken by the Bulldogs at pick six.

With the seventh selection, the Hawks took left-footed midfielder Jordan Lewis, tipped to be drafted much later in the first round.

Adelaide then pounced to take Geelong Falcons ruckman John Meesen, with its first selection at pick eight. This meant that West Adelaide ruckman Cameron Wood dropped to pick 18 and the Brisbane Lions, as clubs then loaded up on midfielders.

The first retread to be selected was former Port Adelaide ruckman Cain Ackland, who was taken by St Kilda with pick no.33. The Saints see Ackland as a replacement for the recently departed Trent Knobel, who is expected to find a home in December's National Pre-Season Draft.

Ackland will still only be 23 at the start of next season and has played 12 matches with Port Adelaide since making his debut in 2001 as he struggled for a regular game behind Dean Brogan and Brendan Lade.

Fabian Deluca, the 17-year-old 203 centimetre younger brother of Carlton’s Adrian Deluca, who had been expected to be taken in the first round, was not picked up until pick no.35, in a major coup for reigning premier Port Adelaide.

Former Geelong rover David Spriggs went to Sydney as expected with pick 47, while two selections later, former Magpie midfielder Mark McGough was drafted by St Kilda.

Last night I had a dream that Richmond got both Deledio and Tambling in the draft.
Hang on a minute no I did't it really happened,there is a god after all,ge I think I nearly fainted when Footscray called out Griffens name then we called out Tambling.
Did Hawthorn try and call our bluff by picking Roughead at 2 thinking that we would go for Franklin?
If they did what a stuff up.

The best possible result for the RFC. I did a little dance around the living room this morning when I heard them read out Richmond pick 4 Richard Tambling. It was like we'd just won against Brisbane or something.

It's Tiger territory from Kyabram to the Top End
By Emma Quayle
November 21, 2004

Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling imagined their AFL careers at opposite ends of Australia.

Deledio kicked his first drop punt in the small Victorian town of Kyabram, where he became a fast bowler each summer. He ditched a promising cricket career at the start of this football season.

Tambling enjoyed a warmer childhood, in Darwin, his ability so well known and appreciated that he is known simply as "Richard", and stopped on the street to talk footy by people he does not even know.

Deledio knew he would be wearing a Richmond jumper next year long before the club's recruiting manager, Greg Beck, announced his player registration number - 110398 - in the first few seconds of yesterday's national AFL draft.

Beck had called the 17-year-old late on Friday night to let him know the Tigers would use their first No. 1 draft choice since 1989 to get him to Punt Road. The teenager, who had finished year 11 the same day, hugged his parents and went to bed. "I was relieved," said Deledio yesterday. He was clad in yellow-and-black and flanked by Richmond coach Terry Wallace and fellow draftees Danny Meyer and Tambling at his first official media conference.

Tambling arrived at the draft feeling slightly more uncertain. His heart soon raced faster when Hawthorn, the club tipped to take him at pick No. 2, opted for the taller Jarryd Roughead.

The speedy midfielder was grabbed by the Tigers two picks later and, at the end of it all, he was happy to wear any colours. "I'm just happy to have an AFL club," he said.

Tambling and Meyer, a South Australian, are not the only young men who must pack their bags and leave home to continue their footballing dream.

Thirty-three of the 71 players drafted yesterday must cross a state border to join their new club.

The Western Bulldogs' No. 3 pick, Ryan Griffen, lives in Goolwa, an hour south of Adelaide. No. 3 pick Lance Franklin, must move from Perth to Hawthorn, while Geelong ruckman John Meesen became an Adelaide Crow at selection No. 8.

Eight players cut by their clubs at the end of last season were granted a fresh chance. Geelong midfielder David Spriggs will start over in Sydney, while former Collingwood player Mark McGough and Port Adelaide ruckman Cain Ackland will join their new St Kilda teammates at a training camp in South Africa this week.

The Saints also sprang the draft's biggest surprise, naming with their final selection Noble Park half-back James Gwilt, the son of an English father and Papua New Guinean mother, who has not played his way down the traditional junior path.

Tiger coach Wallace will play any of the seven young players he picked up yesterday as soon as they are ready, but he does not expect them to drive the bottom-placed team immediately back up the ladder.

"They're not trophies," he said. "We've got an investment here and we're hoping these guys will be 10-year players for the Richmond footy club."

Deledio already knows how soon a start can end. His father, Wayne, made the Carlton side in 1975, but was dropped after just one match.

"It's a different world to what I went into... but Brett knows how hard he has to work," said Deledio senior. "He's a kid who gets on with what he's got to do. He's had a dream, and now he has to make it happen for him."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/11/20/1100838277856.html

Tiger Brett a roaring success
By Rod Nicholson
November 21, 2004

TIGER cub Brett Deledio had a peaceful sleep on the eve of the most important day in his football life - he already knew he was No. 1 choice in the 2004 National Draft.

Richmond's new coach Terry Wallace rang the lad on Friday night to tell him he would gain football fame as the nation's No. 1 pick.

Deledio, who celebrated his 18th birthday last Thursday, is a 188cm, 81kg midfielder from Murray Bushrangers.

His destiny always seemed secure after winning All Australian under 18 honours this year and the Sheehan medal at under 16 level last year.

Deledio, from Kyabram, celebrated with his dad Wayne, mum Judy, brother Matt and sister Sheridan.

Sunday Herald Sun

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11453131-23211,00.html