Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling must pick 1

We need another skinny little aboriginal player like a hole in the head. Even Wells, Davey and co show only glimpses, basically because they are boys amongst men. Don't get me wrong, I expect him to be a very good player, but this is pick one we are talking about; we need a Voss/Buckley type with this pick, a guy to build a team on.

IF he makes it to four, take him then (or better still take a ruckman and let someone else have him).

I think we should be aiming to pick the player with the most footballing ability AND a potential leader/future captain. By all reports that person is Deledio.

It's easy to read the reports on the Deledios, Tamblings, Franklins, Rougheads and Griffens and get stressed out because we only have 2 picks amongst those 5.

At the end of the day we all just have to sit back and enjoy the ride because we don't have any control over the decisions.

I'd love to go back and read the player profiles for the top picks in the last 2 or 3 drafts and see where those players are relative to their write ups!

As i've seen Redford say a few times on this forum, based on what you read, every kid in the draft is going to be a superstar.

There is always a chance that Tambling may drop to pick 4.
Deledio wont drop to #4.
Take Deledio[we will anyway]

TigerFurious said:
Think back at all the really great players in comp over the last 10 years and I'm struggling to think of one that had blistering pace.

While its nice to have quick players there are far more important attributes to look for in a good footballer.

Judd has blistering pace and wouldn't be half the player he is without his speed........

Bombers have a reasonable midfield but are desperate to inject some speed. Our midfield is similarly slow with Johnson, Coughlan, Chaffey (supposedly tagging) etc.

Having said that, Deledio is no slouch in the pace stakes, just a matter of knowing if he can play midfield.

Too tough to call, IMO neither is going to turn out like Fiora, but I'm confident Wallace and Miller have seen enough of both of them to make a decent decision.

I still think Deledio should be our 1st pick.

It's great to to be able to talk about getting 2 of the best 4 in the land. What the hell did we talk about last year when our first pick was 21?

anyone noticed that the tambling push is comming mainly from newly registred posters. methinks that hawthorn wants deledio and is trying to mount a campaign through pre to try and influence miller and wallace . sorry fella's they have been around too long to fall for that one.

yandb said:
anyone noticed that the tambling push is comming mainly from newly registred posters. methinks that hawthorn wants deledio and is trying to mount a campaign through pre to try and influence miller and wallace . sorry fella's they have been around too long to fall for that one.
With all due respect I think that you have spent too long thinking about this one. I don't think that Wallace and Miller will be swayed by what a few posters that have no known credentials say on a fan website. If they are swayed by us then they are clearly not up to the job at hand. In the long run we all have to trust that they have done their homwork and will get the best players for the RFC and, once developed, we see that these players were the best available, then Miller and Wallace will get all the praise in the world.
I also don't think that your comments are fair on Hawks supporters. Surely they aren't dumb enough to think that a minority of posters here would sway our clubs decision. Nice conspiracy theory though!

yandb said:

Brett Deledio's agent being Anthony McConville may play a part in Tambling being picked up #1. He is the same guy who manages Ty Zantuck.

wish that relton roberts was up for grabs.
if you'd watched him in the TAC cup against Tassie, you'd of seen two ridiculous goals, both on the boundary.
Wouldn't mind a player that could kick miracle snap goals either foot.

Hey Curtiger, they were both left footers and he is up for grabs. Love to rookie him but he'd be a long way from home...he'd kick it anyway!

hutstar said:
We need another skinny little aboriginal player like a hole in the head. Even Wells, Davey and co show only glimpses, basically because they are boys amongst men. Don't get me wrong, I expect him to be a very good player, but this is pick one we are talking about; we need a Voss/Buckley type with this pick, a guy to build a team on.

i completely agree with hutstar. with the number 1 pick you pick the player who has the biggest potential to be a franchise player (ie voss, carey, etc). tambling will not be a franchise player. by all repoarts, deledio might be...

I think talk of taking Tambling at no 1 is a Hawthorn conspiracy as well. Deledio is clear number one. Pick Tambling at four. Deldio is the next Gary Lyon.

taraba said:
From what I hear it's the other way around... Tambling is very consistent and has proven this over at least two seasons by winning best player in his division at the under age carnivals. Deledio seems more inconsistent and as Phantom put it, he'll be a great player when given consistent supply of the ball. If there's nobody getting the ball to him he appears to taper off a little bit. Again it's a tough call but I'm officially lobbying for Tambling now if anyone cares.
yep just like buckley when hes constantly given the ball.

nut said:
mb64 said:
I'II trust the experts (Miller & Co) on the no1 choice
Dont get me wrong I think Deliedio is probably the safest bet. But I think we need a Match winner. Tambling is the one. A player that can turn a game. A player that has enough pace to turn our whole midfield into the fastest in the comp.

His wieght is no problem, he has already played against men, like Ali said, you cant hit what you cant find. He will never be big but neither was Long, Winmar or mitchell. He is the real deal too, I've seen play and he played like a veteran, silky skilled, composed. Has played for the NT seniors and wont be there at pick 4. So we must take him No.1.

I be angry if we dont.
this wont go down to well but michael long although highly skilled was as soft as they come. rfc is crying out for a voss or one of my favorite players riccciuto.

I agree with most of what has been said on this topic so far.

IMHO, what we really need is a bloke that can win his own footy against quality opposition week in week out.

If we can build a team where more of our players win the footy more often than their opposition then we will win consistently win games.

However, in the end what concerns me the most is not who we pick but what we we do with them once they get to the club. The RFC has a habit of taking young kids with potential but for some reason that potential is never realised. Their skills don't develop, their football brains don't develop and worst of all their bodies don't develop. It is a disgrace that blokes like Bourke, Fiora, Hall etc, etc could be on the list for so long and still have bodies like under 16 players.

Thankfully, I think Plough and Choco will turn that all around. I think you will see a real focus on body strength this year.

I'm not far off your wavelength again here Claw.

(Pre knee) Michael Long was highly skilled and better than soft. Unlike Buckley at his worst the young Long was not a receiver.

What's a better get- a handball receive, a hard ball get or a loose ball get?