Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling [Merged]

Spanish Prisoner said:
I agree 100%. It is just that RFC supporters remember that. That was my point...

I am sure he gives 110%, so I am not blaming him.

If Ambling is giving it 110% god help us hes worse than I thought.

btoz_01 said:
If Ambling is giving it 110% god help us hes worse than I thought.
True, i kind of hope he isn't giving 110% because that way he has some upside. But if he is trying 110% and delivering what he is now, then really we can;t expect any improvement.

flanno said:
The 'pick' shouldn't be held against him, he didn't pick himself.

See I don't always agree with this line of thinking.

We didn't pick up Joe Blow from some Mid Gippsland seconds team as our pick 4, we picked a kid rated as number 1 by some and a definite top prospect for 2004.

His form made him a high pick, he would have been taken in the top 10 somewhere even if we went for someone else.

wayne said:
His form made him a high pick, he would have been taken in the top 10 somewhere even if we went for someone else.

Yeah, but I agree with Flanno, he didn't choose.

If it wasn't for us taking him at four, I believe he would have drifted to at least 12 or 15...

Spanish Prisoner said:

If it wasn't for us taking him at four, I believe he would have drifted to at least 12 or 15...

Tambling would not have drifted, in hindsight for sure but not at the time. Was rated as a top 4 prospect, even talk of him going at number 1. He's just a pick that didn't work out. Thorpe over Selwood for example, Ellis over Pendlebury/Kennedy, Dowler over Ryder, Clark, Higgins, etc.

Barnzy said:
Tambling would not have drifted, in hindsight for sure but not at the time. Was rated as a top 4 prospect, even talk of him going at number 1. He's just a pick that didn't work out.

Not sure that's true. I heard from people that many clubs didn't rate him a top ten based on his lack of vision and concerns over work ethic.

But as I said that is the club's fault, and has nothing to do with the kid.

Spanish Prisoner said:

Your team had Tambling going to them at number 2 untill "the meeting" on the morning of the draft .Richie spent time at Buckenaras house and he rated him only second to Deledio, Hawthorn rated Tambling higher then Buddy and expected us to take Buddy at 4 , thinking we would go one mid and one tall like thay were going too do, cards fell there way, unlike with Dowler and Thorpe though I wouldnt think Selwood and Ryder would be of much use to them at the moment.

I believe Clayton rated RT at 4 , he definatley had Griffin at 1 or 2

I too, cannot see how Tambling is getting a game at the moment.

It seems that everytime he goes near it, the opposition win it and create scoring opportunities.

It is no coincidence that the team performance lifted once similarly ineffective players, Simmonds and Rance, were dropped/retired.

sheepy said:
He has been terrible for his whole career with the exception of being maybe average for about a month last season.

This is where people are coming from when they point out supporters aren't always fair towards bling.

That one 'maybe average month' saw him finish 4th in our B+F.

He's obviously capable of playing consistently good footy. Atm he's not making any bad mistakes, he's just not running hard enough. When he does actually find the ball, he's still good. The question is: why isn't he running hard anymore?

CC TIGER said:
Your team had Tambling going to them at number 2 untill "the meeting" on the morning of the draft .Richie spent time at Buckenaras house and he rated him only second to Deledio, Hawthorn rated Tambling higher then Buddy and expected us to take Buddy at 4 , thinking we would go one mid and one tall like thay were going too do, cards fell there way, unlike with Dowler and Thorpe though I wouldnt think Selwood and Ryder would be of much use to them at the moment.

Hawthorn have repeatedly disputed that version.

jb03 said:
Hawthorn have repeatedly disputed that version.
Clarkson and co have, I dont think "Bucky" has, was a very unhappy camper on draft day, neally as much as GM when we went for Rance instead of Selwood

Spanish Prisoner said:
Not sure that's true. I heard from people that many clubs didn't rate him a top ten based on his lack of vision and concerns over work ethic.

But as I said that is the club's fault, and has nothing to do with the kid.

You must have been under a rock in the lead up to that draft. All the talk was that Deledio, Griffen and Tambling were the top 3 prospects.
Roughhead was the one that was expected to go later than he did and it was a shock than Hawthorn overlooked Griffen, certainly looks like that was a big mistake at this stage of their careers.

Franklin was the one that a lot of clubs had big concerns about this work ethic and attitude. Some clubs were shocked by how arrogant Franklin was in draft camp interviews and would not have drafted him at all. Personally I'm not sure I could bear to watch Franklin play for Richmond, I have seen more than enough bad goal kicking and enigmatic play during Richo's career. As poor as Tambling has been, Richmond made the same decision that all clubs would have made if they were faced with the same choice at Pick 4 at that time. In hindsight they would all have picked Franklin but the same can be said about James Hird.

FFS!!

It doesn't matter where he was picked in the draft. He didn't pick himself. And he is clearly lacking confidence or recovering from injury and he keeps getting picked. But he doesn't pick himself.

Whatever people think of him personally, and i heard plenty of personal comments about him on Sunday, he is still a Tiger and when he is in the team he deserves our support.

It really irks me when I hear people who couldn't get a kick in a boot factory and couldn't run out of sight on a dark night bagging men who are AFL players. Sure they have their weaknesses but they have done a lot more in their sporting lives than the rest of us!

Give Tambling a break!

CC TIGER said:

First of all Richmond is my team! Secondly, premiership coaches and players don't concern themselves with issues like this. They are too busy winning...

CC TIGER said:
Clarkson and co have, I dont think "Bucky" has, was a very unhappy camper on draft day, neally as much as GM when we went for Rance instead of Selwood
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/buckys-draft-punt-delivers/story-e6frecn3-1111117397142

Bucky says otherwise

Notice the date of the article JB it was 2008, Im 100% make it 99% ;) sure Buckenara was livid with the changing of draft plan, anyway the 04 draft got them a premiership 4 years later and gave us another spoon.

jb03 said:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/buckys-draft-punt-delivers/story-e6frecn3-1111117397142

Bucky says otherwise

Maybe he's just making out it was all in the planning. It seems all these Recruiting Managers like to espouse their wisdom after the drafts are done. ;D

flanno said:
It really irks me when I hear people who couldn't get a kick in a boot factory and couldn't run out of sight on a dark night bagging men who are AFL players. Sure they have their weaknesses but they have done a lot more in their sporting lives than the rest of us!

I think you'd find that anyone who earns a few hundred thousands dollars a year comes under a fair bit of scurinty by their key stakeholders. In the real world people earning the same coin as Tambling work 60 hour weeks for 48 weeks of the year and one major mistake and they are got rid of.

Tambling is lucky to only have a bunch of untalented football supporters on an internet forum bagging him.