Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

evo said:
Why is he called Buddy anyway? Must be from Margaret River.

Apparently the name buddy was given to him cause his attitude and aura is similar to buddy love from the movie The Nutty Professor with Jerry Lewis.

iitb said:
evo said:

Apparently the name buddy was given to him cause his attitude and aura is similar to buddy love from the movie The Nutty Professor with Jerry Lewis.

In other words, he's a schizo.....

TigerForce said:
iitb said:
evo said:

a champion... whohappens to be a schizo

blaisee said:
TigerForce said:
iitb said:
evo said:

A bit early to be using the term "champion", don't you think? Geez that term gets thrown around so easily these days.

zips said:
blaisee said:
TigerForce said:
iitb said:
evo said:

A bit early to be using the term "champion", don't you think? Geez that term gets thrown around so easily these days.

Spot on Zips to many commentators use all these terms to loosely, Tim Lane was calling young Murphy from Carlton a star, he is promising and looks like being a star in the future but lets face it he aint no star just at the minute.

AstuteTiger said:
Spot on Zips to many commentators use all these terms to loosely, Tim Lane was calling young Murphy from Carlton a star, he is promising and looks like being a star in the future but lets face it he aint no star just at the minute.

At least he knew the player's name. The commentary team was rusty as.

I feel sorry for this young bloke because no matter where he was drafted to, it was going to go this way. As previously mentioned (early in this thread), we must give him the time and opportunity to deliver otherwise what on earth do we do with him. Sooner or later he will (need to) deliver the goods, or he will (need to) be axed.

He would have to kick 20 goals from the boundary to get me back, because this is the way he was dressed up, an excitement machine, by all and sundry back when we got him.

Back yard crowd pleasers are a far cry from where he is right now.

Red Sea Tiger said:
"... because this is the way he was dressed up, an excitement machine, by all ...

Should PRE tone the excitement down RST?
Using a current AFL player, to what level would be acceptable?

Andrew McLeod:

Year 1: Disp. - 10.8, Marks - 1.3, Tackles - 1.2, Goals - 1.2, Rating - 45

Year 2: Disp. - 10.2, Marks - 1.6, Tackles - 1.2, Goals - 1.1, Rating - 43

Richie Tambling:

Year 1: Disp. - 9.3, Marks - 3.4, Tackles - 2.1, Goals - 0.7, Rating - 46

Year 2: Disp. - 12.0, Marks - 4.4, Tackles - 2.3, Goals - 0.8, Rating - 60

DON'T JUDGE HIM TO EARLY!!! He is better than Andrew Mcleod at the same point in his career!! Would you delist Mcleod???!!!

Excellent post benny.
If RT turns out to be anywhere near as good as McLeod I'll be thrilled.
Be interesting to see how McLeod went in his third season statistically. Stepped it up considerably I imagine. I'd hope Bling does too.

Tigers of Old said:
Excellent post benny.
Be interesting to see how McLeod went in his third season statistically. Stepped it up considerably I imagine. I'd hope Bling does too.

Your wish is my command ToO:

Andrew McLeod
Year Games Kicks Marks H.Balls Disp Goals Bhd Tack
1995 15 101 20 61 162 17 12 18
Average 6.73 1.33 4.07 10.80 1.13 0.80 1.20
1996 19 110 31 84 194 20 12 22
Average 5.79 1.63 4.42 10.21 1.05 0.63 1.16
1997 26 287 96 151 438 10 8 51
Average 11.04 3.69 5.81 16.85 0.38 0.31 1.96

Bling
Year Games Kicks Marks H.Balls Disp Goals Bhd Tack
2005 12 73 41 38 111 9 4 25
Average 6.08 3.42 3.17 9.25 0.75 0.33 2.08
2006 21 176 92 76 252 14 19 48
Average 8.38 4.38 3.62 12.00 0.67 0.90 2.29

Personally, I would like to see minutes per game as another comparison.

this is where stats can "lie" i dont doubt RT has ability , its the unforced basic skill errors by hand and foot that irritate me , if he can iron them out or better still eliminate them from his game completely this guy can be anything , so far RT reminds me too much of ex tiger Michael Mitchell for me too get too excited .

Tigers of Old said:
Excellent post benny.

Perhaps even Meyer's stats stack up ok against Macleod too ToO. ;D

Must say I didnt rate Mcleod all that high after his first couple of seasons,but then Blight put him to the half back line :eek:

Rockster said:
this isits the unforced basic skill errors by hand and foot that irritate me , if he can iron them out or better still eliminate them from his game completely this guy can be anything

Another myth.
Tambling actually has a very low error rate Rocky Boy.
He might fumble at times & make the odd clanger but he's pretty solid overall with his disposal according to these stats.

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/team_player_rankings?yr=2006&rt=TA&fc=E10&tid=112

In saying that he definitely needs to improve his kicking at goal this season.

PS: Thanks for digging up those McLeod stats NYT, big improvement by him in yr 3. I think it culminated with the Norm Smith medal that season..

Tigers of Old said:
Another myth.
Tambling actually has a very low error rate Rocky Boy.
He might fumble at times & make the odd clanger but he's pretty solid overall with his disposal according to these stats.

Come on, don't let good solid stats stand in the way of a good theory based on one preseason meaningless game. ::)

The ensuing thread is now, not about myths, stats or one pre season game. It's about how we should be benchmarking our players. And for that, I respect this topic even more. Thank you New York Tiger for raising the bar.

skills , the bar is raised so high i'm now in way over my depth , time to start the PRE scandal equivelant to the ACB " he cant bowl cant field" comment of a few years back ....
He " cant kick , cant handball " simple !

will go down as one of the biggest recruiting blunders in rfc history. All Tambling is and will be is a highlight reel. Yeah he looked good in the highlight reel, but unfortunately no one told us that is all he does. 5 seconds of class here and there.