Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

Phantom said:
Hi Freezer,

Smalls click at 20.
I think you'll see Tambling playing at a new level this year.

Just remember that Tambling was pushed into the seniors well before his time.

Others like Foley, Polo & others were allowed to hone their skills & confidence at Coburg before being confronted by the pressure of current AFL footy.

Tambling never had that luxury and had to fight off injuries too.

I reckon 2007 will be much improved year for him.

But at 20 now, he should click if he's ever going to.

Interesting comments there Phantom - I would see him ultimately clicking at the mid to later part of next year imo. He still lacks alot of confidence when he first touches the leather. I'm not overly worried about the guy as i think it will take a bit more time for him to develop. He will be a very valuable asset to the tigers down the track though. At 20, he has still got time on his side.

Looking forward to watching Buddy Franklin tonight (no tall poppy syndrome from me) he has that touch of arrogance and looks like he could absolutely rip a game to shreds. I just hope that Tambo becomes the best he can be. Maybe one day we can have a J.Brown vs C. Judd type argument (who you'd prefer) about these two and then I think no one will complain. I really reckon Bling has it. He too is an excitement machine waiting to happen. Hopefully both boys can have long distinguished careers but that only one of them will have it in a premiership winning team. Go Tiges!

Harro12 said:
Looking forward to watching Buddy Franklin tonight (no tall poppy syndrome from me) he has that touch of arrogance and looks like he could absolutely rip a game to shreds. I just hope that Tambo becomes the best he can be. Maybe one day we can have a J.Brown vs C. Judd type argument (who you'd prefer) about these two and then I think no one will complain. I really reckon Bling has it. He too is an excitement machine waiting to happen. Hopefully both boys can have long distinguished careers but that only one of them will have it in a premiership winning team. Go Tiges!

Don't speak too soon, he's just kicked a ripper, inverted banana from the pocket.

Freezer said:
I like Tambling but even the most ordinary footballers should be getting more than 3 touches a quarter, especially the type of player that he is.

Did the numbers in 2005 and the average number of disposals per player was 13.

Richies numbers last year were right on the average. However he was improving as the year went on. In the last 6 games of 2006 he averaged three and half shots at goal which is not bad for a small forward. I think he will be ok.

Don't speak too soon, he's just kicked a ripper, inverted banana from the pocket.
[/quote]

Yeah and thats been it from him in the first half...

AstuteTiger said:

[/quote]

I hate to bring this up in a Tambling thread but who have the Blues got lining up on Flanklin?
From a Tiger perspective I'm just interested as to what type of player they are matching up on him.
I have hopes that K.Moore could be the player to take him and it's pleasing he did OK on OKeefe today. Hopefully Kel really comes on this year..

Tigers of Old said:
AstuteTiger said:

[/quote] Tigers of Old
I hate to bring this up in a Tambling thread but who have the Blues got lining up on Flanklin?
From a Tiger perspective I'm just interested as to what type of player they are matching up on him.
I have hopes that K.Moore could be the player to take him and it's pleasing he did OK on OKeefe today. Hopefully Kel really comes on this year..
[/quote]

Tigers of Old, they had Waite on him and i thought he did a good job, didn't give franklin much room especially around the 50 metre mark.

AstuteTiger said:
Tigers of Old, they had Waite on him and i thought he did a good job, didn't give franklin much room especially around the 50 metre mark.

Thanks Astute.
Good matchup by the Blues.
Clubs will pay Flanklin a lot more attention this season now they've realised his weakness in the air. 1 mark for the day.

Tigers of Old said:
AstuteTiger said:

[/quote]

Polo has wiped the floor with him before, so he should get the gig.

Tigerdog said:
Tigers of Old said:
AstuteTiger said:

[/quote]

Yeah spot on Tiger Dog, as franklin is more dangerous on the ground than in the air u need someone with fast closing speed and polo can play that role quite well like he did on franklin last year.

People have stated that Ritchie's skills under pressure are not to flash.I think he panics as trying to get rid of the ball before being crunched.As a junior most would have been his size or he was just to quick for them.Now he is still adjusting to the bigger bodys & pace of the game etc!

Tigerdog said:
Tigers of Old said:
AstuteTiger said:

[/quote]

I think Richmond supporters have to let this Polo on Franklin thing go. It was in the VFL when Franklin was returning fom injury - even TW didn't try Polo down in Tassie when Franklin was embarassing Hall.

jb03 said:
Tigerdog said:
Tigers of Old said:
AstuteTiger said:

I think Richmond supporters have to let this Polo on Franklin thing go. It was in the VFL when Franklin was returning fom injury - even TW didn't try Polo down in Tassie when Franklin was embarassing Hall.
[/quote]

The way Buddy carved us up, I'm still wondering why he didn't. It's not like he'd have done any worse. :-[

disagree JB. Terry made a huge blue that day and the match up should be Polo or Bowden or Raines. Definitely not a key defender Buddy kills them on the ground and doesn't take any marks. Polo would be perfect, but may be needed for Hodge or Mitchell.

Daigoro said:
disagree JB. Terry made a huge blue that day and the match up should be Polo or Bowden or Raines. Definitely not a key defender Buddy kills them on the ground and doesn't take any marks. Polo would be perfect, but may be needed for Hodge or Mitchell.

How about a Matt White or Chris Newman (or even Jake King)...someone who isn't afraid to put the physical pressure on (even in these days of non-contact AFL). Does anyone know if a team has tried a close-checking, niggler on Buddy (kind of like a tag, I guess)...

skybeau said:
Daigoro said:

How about a Matt White or Chris Newman (or even Jake King)...someone who isn't afraid to put the physical pressure on (even in these days of non-contact AFL). Does anyone know if a team has tried a close-checking, niggler on Buddy (kind of like a tag, I guess)...

Isn' that the way all back men play?

skybeau said:
How about a Matt White or Chris Newman (or even Jake King)...someone who isn't afraid to put the physical pressure on (even in these days of non-contact AFL).

Buddy might be a poor contested mark but he's listed at 198cms.
These names you mention are dwarfs in comparison.

Why is he called Buddy anyway? Must be from Margaret River.