Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

evo said:
From what I've seen of NTFL(only on tv)I think you make a good point in regards to the faster and less physical aspect of it and how it would relate to how Ritchie plays the game.

I saw an interveiw with Trent Henschell of the crows, and he said that one of the steepest learning curves he had in becoming an AFL player was the defensive aspect of his game. He said this was not considered as important in the NTFL.

He is another player who came directly from playing NTFL to AFL.

Agree with virtually all that djevv has had to say in regard to NTFL footy. I watched MPNFL footy for a very long time before coming up here to Darwin. In comparison, I'd say that the NTFL is a slightly superior product. I think the fitness is better and the skills are significantly better. But the defensive aspect is valid too. To some point, the comparison of the two is like comparing apples and oranges. But the best NTFL players are very good SANFL players or better and this probably isn't the same locally or country in Victoria.

The challenge of NTFL footy is being able to play in 36deg, 80% humidity and blazing sun in December. In MPNFL it's the bog of a rainy July Frankston arvo in 8deg. It develops a very different style of game.

And then there's the culture. As somebody who has done both, the difference between living in Melbourne and Darwin (let alone Jabiru) is extraordinary.

For this reason, I'm prepared to cut Richie some extra slack and afford a little more time. Everyone is going to differ on how much time if any - that's just my take on it. From what I've seen we still have a very exciting prospect and I'd be looking for Richie to be Daniel Wells-like in a few seasons.

Yeh he was up and about against the Pies eh patsy.

Just needs consistency from week to week,and within games.

Agree he looks primed.

I see Wells as a reasonable comparison. He's taken a little time, with some inconsistent yet stunning cameos, to get to this point. I expect a similar path for Richie.

evo said:
Yeh he was up and about against the Pies eh patsy.

Just needs consistency from week to week,and within games.

Agree he looks primed.

Didn't see the game actually evo, going purely on numbers and the fact that he's had the 'right' amount of time to develop and is at the right age. Even if he continues to improve at his current rate he'll join the top tier but I think he can improve even more dramatically this year.

Ive got faith in Richie as Oldie stated he has the tools its just confidence he needs .......... some self belief and i reckon Bling will be right.

There are plenty of other very sub standard blokes who need the finger pointed at em before Richie.

But the fact remains that he can't kick. He cannot hit a leading target. This is one attribute that "coming from a skillful League" he should have in spades. He doesn't.

TheUmpire said:
But the fact remains that he can't kick. He cannot hit a leading target. This is one attribute that "coming from a skillful League" he should have in spades. He doesn't.

Ump, you got it wrong mate he can kick and he has hit targets many times, unfortunately when young Ritchie is under pressure yes he does tend to miss targets so what we have here is not whether he is skillful or not (he is) he just needs to harness his skills when under extreme pressure and this will come with more game time as the more games he plays the more confident he will become, thus slowly ironing out those deficiencies.
Some players adapt quicker than others but what ive seen in his first 2 years has been steady improvement and that’s all you can ask for, now entering his third year im sure blingers will continue to progress not only improving his footy smarts around the ground but also with his poise to execute his delivery at the right time by hand and foot.
The kid’s 20, we have him lets support him.

ssstone said:
plenty of others have moved away from home..try being a selwood .frankly im sick of aboriganalty being thrown up .he is a footballer plying his trade.

how transparent of you. you really need to get out of those hillbilly slopes and travel more.

I thought Bling went well in the first quarter and dropped his head a bit after that.

Doubters haven't sen the best of him yet. Lacks confidence. After the Geelong game, don't we all?

Richard Tambling Name Daniel Wells
Richmond Tigers Team Kangaroos
33 Career Games 84
Southern Districts Origin Peel Thunder
September 12, 1986 Date of Birth February 3, 1985
20 Age 22
180 cm Height 180 cm
80 kg Weight 81 kg
21 2006 Games 22
8.4 Kicks Per Game 10.3
3.6 Handballs Per Game 8.2
12.0 Disposals Per Game 18.5
4.4 Marks Per Game 3.7
0.7 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0.3
2.3 Tackles Per Game 2.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2
1.0 Frees For Per Game 0.6
0.4 Frees Against Per Game 0.2

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=13&pid2=398

Tigerdog said:
33 Career Games 84
20 Age 22
180 cm Height 180 cm
80 kg Weight 81 kg
21 2006 Games 22
8.4 Kicks Per Game 10.3
4.4 Marks Per Game 3.7
0.7 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0.3
2.3 Tackles Per Game 2.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=15&pid1=1487&tid2=13&pid2=398

Interesting...would be even more interesting to compare Bling's 2006 with Wells' second season.

Id hope Bling is more consitent than Wells.
However good Wells can be at times he often disappears and you dont see him for a while. The Kangas love him cos they have nothing and he is a good player but id hope Bling turns out more like Andrew Macleod.

I'm surprised there's only a kilo between them. If asked, I would have guessed that Bling was a good four or five kilos lighter.

blx said:
ssstone said:
plenty of others have moved away from home..try being a selwood .frankly im sick of aboriganalty being thrown up .he is a footballer plying his trade.

how transparent of you. you really need to get out of those hillbilly slopes and travel more.
yeh but the banjo dont like the humid weather

The biggest problem with Richard Tambling has to live with all the preasure that came when he was drafted at number 4 , the expectations and hype placed on him where enormous . If you remember TW said it was a close call at times who would go 1 , Tambo or Lids.
So when basic decision making and unforced skill errors are made , the doubters like myself will always surface, so i will reserve my judgement until seasons end , lets hope by then Richie proves me soooooooooo wrong and i am forced to eat humble pie all summer !

Tigerdog said:
33 Career Games 84
20 Age 22
180 cm Height 180 cm
80 kg Weight 81 kg
21 2006 Games 22
8.4 Kicks Per Game 10.3
4.4 Marks Per Game 3.7
0.7 Goals Per Game 0.5
0.9 Behinds Per Game 0.3
2.3 Tackles Per Game 2.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 0.2

I like Tambling but even the most ordinary footballers should be getting more than 3 touches a quarter, especially the type of player that he is.

Hi Freezer,

Smalls click at 20.
I think you'll see Tambling playing at a new level this year.

Just remember that Tambling was pushed into the seniors well before his time.

Others like Foley, Polo & others were allowed to hone their skills & confidence at Coburg before being confronted by the pressure of current AFL footy.

Tambling never had that luxury and had to fight off injuries too.

I reckon 2007 will be much improved year for him.

But at 20 now, he should click if he's ever going to.

I reckon he will.

I really hope he does - he's gonna have to. I like him but my big concern is his earlier injuries were back related hammies - not usually asscoiated with supple teenagers. I hope that's not an indication of future back problems. It's been said to death but all he needs is a bit of confidence and the realisation he deserves to be out there. Once he does, well... fingers crossed.