Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

Disco08 said:
You don't think kids growing up in aboriginal communities have a vastly different upbringing to most average aussie kids?
have you ever been to one ??? dont you think kids growingup in moe or warburton have vastly different upbringing???lwhat about st albans???

GPB, I'm saying that it's clearly got to be harder for the aboriginal kids.

ssstone said:
have you ever been to one ??? dont you think kids growingup in moe or warburton have vastly different upbringing???lwhat about st albans???

Are they all in Victoria?

Disco08 said:
GPB, I'm saying that it's clearly got to be harder for the aboriginal kids.

ssstone said:

Are they all in Victoria?
and ? salisbury/brentwood or redfern?????

I'm losing track of what you're asking. If you're saying Moe is as different to Melbourne than an aboriginal area of Darwin is then we're clearly not going to agree on anything.

Disco08 said:
I'm losing track of what you're asking. If you're saying Moe is as different to Melbourne than an aboriginal area of Darwin is then we're clearly not going to agree on anything.
no we aren,t cause i won,t excuse anyone because they came from poorer circumstances.and if you think moe even resembles melbourne you really need to travel a bit

ssstone said:
Disco08 said:
no we aren,t cause i won,t excuse anyone because they came from poorer circumstances.and if you think moe even resembles melbourne you really need to travel a bit
Hey Moe can be a real eye opener to even the most seasoned traveller ;D

ssstone said:
travel and have an opinion by internet :(i give up

I don't need to go there to know that it's like any other SE Australian town with between 10 and 50 thousand people. I live near two that have well less. If you think this even remotely resembles any aboriginal community (yes, I've seen one, most of the others you're not even allowed into) then to put it mildly, I think you need to open your eyes.

Disco08 said:
ssstone said:
travel and have an opinion by internet :(i give up

I don't need to go there to know that it's like any other SE Australian town with between 10 and 50 thousand people. I live near two that have well less. If you think this even remotely resembles any aboriginal community (yes, I've seen one, most of the others you're not even allowed into) then to put it mildly, I think you need to open your eyes.
righto disco... same poverty same abuse same welfare state and in a previous job i got to visit a few including inyour home state.and the only differance was the amount of money chucked at em... but we are getting off the point mate tamblings origins should not be bought up as reason to defend his progress.nor his race.he is a richmond footballer and will be judged as one.not as an aboriganal displaced by his talent...he is a well paid professional who needs to do the job he was employed to do.

What you are saying basically Disco is that Ritchie's excuse is his background.
Yet I was lead to believe when he was drafted that RT interviewed exceptionally, came from a solid background and is a highly regarded young man.
I don't really know where you are going with this..

I'm not defending his progress, I'm saying it's basically in line with every other indigenous player that's done well over the last 15 years. If you choose to deem that as not good enough that's your decision.

Some one with more knowledge might be able to correct me but Tambling's football eduction was in Darwin. What is Darwin's football standard compared to say country Vic where Deledio played. What resources are there in Darwin to teach the kids the skills of football. What about the opposition in Darwin? I assume it comprises mainly un developed - muscle wise - bodies

My limited knowledge of both areas would have country Vic way above Darwin in terms of overall standard and "toughness/hardness" of the play.

The main area most have picked on Tambling about is his fumbling and hesitation. He has the skills so I see it as a low confidence platform. Still has a lot to learn

Disco08 said:
I'm not defending his progress, I'm saying it's basically in line with every other indigenous player that's done well over the last 15 years. If you choose to deem that as not good enough that's your decision.

FWIW Duckman, I think Ritchie's been OK and am pretty sure he's got the tools.

Not good, not bad, but for a dp4 my expectations are higher leading into this year than what he's shown so far. Most people's would be.

As long as he is improving I'm fine but if he stagnates, questions will inevitably be asked.
I guess that's why there's been concern at his two luke warm praccie matches so far.

Early days and there's a long season of real footy ahead.

Go Bling!!!! 8)

TigerPort said:
The main area most have picked on Tambling about is his fumbling and hesitation. He has the skills so I see it as a low confidence platform. Still has a lot to learn

Most people's criticizing him for his handling are basing it (IMO) on last weekend's practice match. I don't remember it being a problem last year.

Disco08 said:
TigerPort said:

Most people's criticizing him for his handling are basing it (IMO) on last weekend's practice match. I don't remember it being a problem last year.

Still reckon he has a lot to learn and we are judging him way too ealry. Soemone posted early to wait until the end of this year and we will have a better idea of Tamblings ability and future, to which I agree

Bling will be fine starting to get more confidence in attacking the ball just needs a bit more to back his own abilities which we have all seen in patches!!

TigerPort said:
Some one with more knowledge might be able to correct me but Tambling's football eduction was in Darwin. What is Darwin's football standard compared to say country Vic

Richie played NTFL for Southern Districts prior to being drafted. The NTFL is probably equivalent to a Vic country league. We have numerous southern imports and a smattering of former AFL players (eg Daryl White plays up here). The big differences are firstly the heat, as it is played in the wet (ie hot and humid) and secondly the % of aboriginal players - I think this makes it faster, but a little less physical.

As I said in a previous post, I work with indigenous boys of Richies age. Try taking them out of Darwin and putting them in Melbourne and I doubt many would cope. For lots of reasons - weather, educational standard, family ties, cultural differences. Richie, to my knowledge is an urban kid of impeccable character which has enabled him to cope with being an AFL player in Melbourne. But don't imagine that it was easy for him.

This to me is a possible reason for him not having quite got his head around the game yet. Not an excuse, a reason.

Another thing, if you look at the tape of the game his first half it was good. He got his hands on the ball a lot and did a beautiful weave through a pack. That, coupled with his pre-season form makes me think he will make a significant step up this season.

Good post there Djevv and interesting insight.

From what I've seen of NTFL(only on tv)I think you make a good point in regards to the faster and less physical aspect of it and how it would relate to how Ritchie plays the game.

I still have little doubt he'll be a very good player for us.Even after last Sundays game.(which i didn't think was that bad overall anyway)