Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

jb03 said:
Disco08 said:
How about rattling off the names of a few indigenous players that had a significantly better season than Tambling did last year as 19 year olds?

Why rate indigenous players only against other indigienous players. It is one in all in if comparing youngsters or players. And Franklin's name will pop up again as an answer to your question.typical
typical minortity sterotypying :spin at the moment iwouldnt be trading rt however in saying that he looks like little boy lost to me ..hope he comes good but i dont think he will be the superstar many here think he will be and on that i dont think franklin will dominate as the oppisition will do to him what they did to lids last season,that is extra attention and i dont think buddy has the ticker to handle it

jb, you seriously don't think there's a difference?

Tooheys, Long turned 20 in his first season without great impact and Mcleod was worse in his first couple of years than Tambling stats wise. You're right about Winmar but he's a clear exception to the rule. I'm not saying at all that this proves anything about Tambling. What I am saying is that it's extremely short-sighted to judge these guys on what they do early in their careers or to not afford them time to show what they can really do.

jb03 said:
And Franklin's name will pop up again as an answer to your question.

Yeah, Franklin's 4 errors for every 11 disposals last year was really tremendous.

iitb said:
You're right blx but having said that, wouldn't it be nice for the boys to have put on a better show and give us a glimpse of what we could look forward to this year? I don't mind losing but would have hoped to have seen a better showing and just something to get excited about after all the yearly bulldust exciting propaganda we get from withing the club?

You might need that cushion iso early but i wouldnt get carried away like many are. When was that game...FEBUARY 25 ;)

I just watched the game again especially to watch Tambo, Gas and Tiv and swear all this hoohah about all three are unwarranted.

Disco08 said:
What I am saying is that it's extremely short-sighted to judge these guys on what they do early in their careers or to not afford them time to show what they can really do.

That would be true but I don't think your idea to look to compare other indigenous players was a good one.
In their third season of AFL all of the examples mentioned were smoking hot, even Long.

I've got no doubt RT will be a player, just how good and whether he's worthy of dp4 are the questions.

One thing's for cert though, we'll get a far more accurate idea whether he'll be a star or not by the end of this season, not after a couple of hokey practice matches. :p

There are plenty of other comparisons worth looking at though. The Burgoynes, Davey, Wirrpunda etc all tell a similar story. It's not like Tambling was THAT bad last year. For a 19 yo his performance was quite good IMO.

Disco08 said:
There are plenty of other comparisons worth looking at though. The Burgoynes, Davey, Wirrpunda etc all tell a similar story. It's not like Tambling was THAT bad last year. For a 19 yo his performance was quite good IMO.

If Tambling was drafted at say pick 44 then the footballing public would give him a pass mark for his perfoemances so far. Because he was drafted at 4 he is given undue pressure hence the scrutiny. People should remember that the order of the draft guarentees nothing. It's just an indication of under 18 level. Many other factors post under 18 need to be taken into account. In Tambling's case you make a good argument, considering other aboriginal players and factors such as Tambling having to move away from home and his family ect...

jb03 said:
Well Franklin has done more than kick a few goals in one game - in fact he has kicked 52 goals in 34 games. A pretty good start to his career I would think.

And he has a quality that we haven't had at Richmond for a long time - he will be, IMO a match winner.

If Franklin was a Richmond player, the hype on PRE would be out of control.
He looks good for sure but not sure he has had serious match-up attention yet. Sticks in my mind that Polo absolutely belted him in the VFL last year. Most teams still seem to play a key back on him but he doesn't appear to be a strong mark. Even last week he kicks five goals get rave reviews but only took 2 marks. It will be interesting to see how he responds when he gets a mobile flanker on him rather than a big CHB.

tigersforever06 said:
Disco08 said:

If Tambling was drafted at say pick 44 then the footballing public would give him a pass mark for his perfoemances so far. Because he was drafted at 4 he is given undue pressure hence the scrutiny. People should remember that the order of the draft guarentees nothing. It's just an indication of under 18 level. Many other factors post under 18 need to be taken into account. In Tambling's case you make a good argument, considering other aboriginal players and factors such as Tambling having to move away from home and his family ect...
plenty of others have moved away from home..try being a selwood .frankly im sick of aboriganalty being thrown up .he is a footballer plying his trade.

ssstone said:
tigersforever06 said:
Disco08 said:

plenty of others have moved away from home..try being a selwood .frankly im sick of aboriganalty being thrown up .he is a footballer plying his trade.

That's fair enough. But I think what is trying to be said is that he needs to be given a fair go, heck he has not even played 50 AFL Games and ppl are already writing him off.

Did any of the Selwoods take up residence amongst a tribe of aboriginals?

Well GPB, I just thought that it might be quite obvious that an aboriginal kid moving away from his family might find it quite alot more challenging than a white kid moving away from his. Their lifestyles would be pretty contrasting wouldn't they?

Harry said:
For me the most worrying sign about Richard Tambling is his awareness and football smarts. It seems that he is lost out there and doesn't know where to position himself. When he does get near the ball he mostly panics, overuns the ball or fumbles. When he gets the ball he doesn't seem to have the awareness of what's around him and where to deliver the ball.

For a kid who "mostly panics" and "overruns the ball" he sems to be averaging quite a few possessions compared to the majority of other 20 year-old, third year players in the history of the game. But I suppose you can always fall back on that "doesn't seem to have the awareness of what's around him" problem.

Of course, it's impossible for the kid to win when you selectively note the mistakes he makes and give him no credit for the good things.

Disco08 said:
Well GPB, I just thought that it might be quite obvious that an aboriginal kid moving away from his family might find it quite alot more challenging than a white kid moving away from his. Their lifestyles would be pretty contrasting wouldn't they?
why???

Contrasting? Not in modern day suburbia Disco, young JON is nestled in a northern Melbourne suburb with a family who is caring for him, yes the kid would be home sick, which doesn't mean Cleve Hughes wouldn't be homesick coming from a Hick Town like Cleve.

I'm missing your previous point when you asked the quesion,"Did any of the Selwood take up residence amongst a tribe of aboriginals". What did youmean by that?

You don't think kids growing up in aboriginal communities have a vastly different upbringing to most average aussie kids?

geoffryprettyboy said:
I'm missing your previous point when you asked the quesion,"Did any of the Selwood take up residence amongst a tribe of aboriginals". What did youmean by that?

ssstone said:
try being a selwood .frankly im sick of aboriganalty being thrown up .he is a footballer plying his trade.

The point I was trying to make is that the Selwoods move from one white suburban community to another. Aboriginal kids from the NT move from something vastly different were suburbia is far from normal.

Disco08 said:
You don't think kids growing up in aboriginal communities have a vastly different upbringing to most average aussie kids?

Yeah, they might find it a bit tougher or even intimidating than some others from the big smoke.

Disco08 said:
The point I was trying to make is that the Selwoods move from one white suburban community to another. Aboriginal kids from the NT move from something vastly different were suburbia is far from normal.

So therefore are you referring to Tambling finding it harder to settle in Melbourne?