Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Richard Tambling

Dean if you were comparing Moore or Jackson for that matter who has been there for about 5 years now then perhaps your point would have merit but to compare with a guy (Reitwoldt) who hasn't even stepped onto the big arena that’s what i was alluding to.

jb03 said:
Dean3 said:
mb64 said:
iitb said:
Dean3 said:
jb03 said:
No, Franklin is a better player than all of them on what we have seen to date.

Mate, Steven Sziller is a better player than Riewoldt or Hughes, on what we have seen to date.

What an absolutely dumb comment. Seriously, did you think before typing that? Just dumb.
Agree ,but Dean's thread not surprising.

Ho hum, if you guys can't understand my point, maybe I'll have to pitch things a bit lower in future. ::)

No we understand but your point is just plain stupid. Considering they are all youngsters, with Pattison even taken in the same draft as Franklin, I think having an opinion that one is better than the others, and as such would be preferable as a RFC player than the others is valid.

If you like assessing Reiwoldt as an AFL player can be excused but knowing we know about Franklin I would still prefer Franklin over an untried Reiwoldt.

Yes Sziller may also be better than the players you mention at the moment but I wouldn't think anyone would prefer him on the list to them.

If you want to maintain unrelenting faith in every decision made by the RFC that is fine. But so is having an alternative view.

My point is valid, no matter what you think of it. For those that are a bit slow, we haven't yet seen Riewoldt play a game at AFL level, yet there are some who would be willing to trade him for Lance Franklin, who has done what exactly? Kicked a few goals in one game last year and had a good quarter in a NAB Cup game? Hughes has played, what, half a dozen games, Pattison not many more.
Please, we can all have our opinions but when the silly stuff about trading 1st round picks for proven (snigger) performers like Franklin, well, that to me is the plain stupid bit.
Also was making the point that it isn't saying much to say that you would take Franklin ahead of our guys "on what you have seen so far" given that we've hardly seen anything of our guys.

No, I think I'd rather see a bit more of Riewoldt, Hughes etc before swapping thwem with Franklin. That doesn't sound so stupid to me, but there you go.

And another thing ;D – at the risk of bastardising Groucho Marx, it seems that a lot of Richmond supporters on this site believe that if he's in a Richmond jumper he must be hopeless, ie I wouldn't join a club that accepted me as a member.

Well Franklin has done more than kick a few goals in one game - in fact he has kicked 52 goals in 34 games. A pretty good start to his career I would think.

And he has a quality that we haven't had at Richmond for a long time - he will be, IMO a match winner.

If Franklin was a Richmond player, the hype on PRE would be out of control.

jb03 said:
Well Franklin has done more than kick a few goals in one game - in fact he has kicked 52 goals in 34 games. A pretty good start to his career I would think.

And he has a quality that we haven't had at Richmond for a long time - he will be, IMO a match winner.

Yeah, so Riewoldt has kicked 0 goals in 0 games...ergo Franklin is better?

From what we have seen thus far, Franklin is much better than Reiwoldt. (Debatable whether you'd swap him though.)
And many of us have seen a bit of Hughes, and I know I'd do the swap if given a chance.

Dean3 said:
jb03 said:

Yeah, so Riewoldt has kicked 0 goals in 0 games...ergo Franklin is better?

Errr, ergo yes. Check in with me after Reiwoldt has played 34 games.

If you wouldn't swap Franklin for Reiwoldt right now given the opportunity then you provide further evidence of blind faith in a football club that has deliverd two finals appearances since 1982 and perhaps even more concerning an acceptance of mediocrity .

jb03 said:
Errr, ergo yes. Check in with me after Reiwoldt has played 34 games.

If you wouldn't swap Franklin for Reiwoldt right now given the opportunity then you provide further evidence of blind faith in a football club that has deliverd two finals appearances since 1982 and perhaps even more concerning an acceptance of mediocrity .

Just as easily turn that around and say that if you're willing to swap a first round pick bloke who is yet to play a game for Franklin, then you may as well just come right out and say that you have absolutely no faith whatsoever in anything that your football club does or stands for right now.

I'm happy where I am.

tigerdave said:
Buddy has Brownlow written all over him!
I don't know about that but yeah he is a talent now the true test will come his way Franklin will get tagged heavily he is not a genuine contested mark player and so defenders will now simply close his space....then we’ll see what he does, as the saying goes time will tell.

JockBurn that is a belting question.

JR for Buddy right now. Gee, I don't know.

I would hold on to JR over Buddy, I would not make that trade.

Would I swap Tambling for Buddy right now, yep in a flash.

Would I do the same deal in five years time. Gee I don't know.

That is a head scratcher......

These last posts may seem "as if" trades.
But many in the know were saying that the Hawks were keen to trade Buddy (given his baggage), for the right price of course.
They were probably hoping that if they could get 2 first rounders for Hay......

For me the most worrying sign about Richard Tambling is his awareness and football smarts. It seems that he is lost out there and doesn't know where to position himself. When he does get near the ball he mostly panics, overuns the ball or fumbles. When he gets the ball he doesn't seem to have the awareness of what's around him and where to deliver the ball. He's always at 100km/hr and puts pressure on himself when little pressure is around. Yes it's early days, but for such a high draft pick you would expect more, much more. Had he not been a pick 4, he would struggle to stay on the list let alone in the starting line up, because realistically he has been poor even at Coburg. He has definately received charity games.

How about rattling off the names of a few indigenous players that had a significantly better season than Tambling did last year as 19 year olds?

Disco08 said:

Nope what?
He won a Brownlow medal in his third season at 20yrs old.

In saying that there's not many. Wallace always said Richie would hit it at 22/3.

It would be interesting to get some comparative stats of guys like McLeod, Winmar, Long etc. at 19.

Tigers of Old said:
It would be interesting to get some comparative stats of guys like McLeod, Winmar, Long etc. at 19.

On second thoughts don't do that. :-\
Did a bit of research.. Long & Winmar were both immediate stars. McLeod took a little while to fire up.

If you are looking for comparisons - what about the Davey boys. Similar background, size and skillset.

Aaron started in the AFL at 21 and immediately starred.

Alwyn was a teenage star but faded, regained his feet and is now on Essendon's list at 23.

So Tambling is about right by comparison. But neither of these guys were no. 4 picks either.

No, he has not 'done enough' at present, but, having a lot to do with Richard's peers, it doesn't surprise me. We may have to wait even a few more years for him to click.

What Harry said about him 'panicking' and 'putting too pressure on himself' was about right. When he gets his head right however..........As for the comments about struggling to stay on a list, don't make me laugh, however, at a more successful club he would be in the 2nds at present.

Tigers of Old said:
Tigers of Old said:

On second thoughts don't do that. :-\
Did a bit of research.. Long & Winmar were both immediate stars. McLeod took a little while to fire up.

I think you'll find both these guys had been successful at SANFL/WAFL level beforehand.

Disco08 said:
How about rattling off the names of a few indigenous players that had a significantly better season than Tambling did last year as 19 year olds?

Why rate indigenous players only against other indigienous players. It is one in all in if comparing youngsters or players. And Franklin's name will pop up again as an answer to your question.

Perhaps we're too hard on Matty White or Daniel Jackson as I can't think of any other red heads that had better seasons when they were 19.