Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Jukes Extended said:
Ghost Who Walks said:
Hayfever said:
Ghost Who Walks said:
I was watching the channel 10 telecast and it was interesting to hear Robert Walls comment:

1) Tambling should use his speed to take on opposition players more often.
2) His work ethic is good when the tigers have the ball
3) Has a poor work ethic defensively and needs to rectify this otherwise he is doing the team a disservice.

After Tambling was benched, Walls commented that the benching was for a lack of defencive chasing on his opponent.

When Tambling came back on and put in a great chase, he also commented that was well done but that type of effort has to be put in ALL the time.

IMHO lately Robert Walls has been giving the Tigers very balanced critique.

Typical "Captain Bleeding Obvious" commentary as always from Robert Walls. All he is doing is repeating what we have been saying for ages on PRE.

The next original idea Wallsy gets will be his first  ::)

CBO comment belongs to Steve Quarterbrain; takes as long as Dermie to put two words together and says absolutely nothing.

Then 10 commentary is appalling but not as bad as 9; Tim Lane should have stuck to radio as he does not get enough commentary time on 10.

Tim Lane is a discraceful commentator!

He'd be right  up there for worst commentor is the history of the game.........of any sport for that matter.

That dubious honour would have to go to Darryl Eastlake especially his commentary during the Commonwealth games weight lifting.

Re: Tambling to fire in 07.

Been watching heaps of the 06 season latley :eek: an like the commentators were saying this kid is really starting to find his feet an adjust to AFL speed.

One bit of play against Carlton(rd20) Richie coming from the square has to leap high to get the bouncing ball,he lands pauses as if he expects contact an then swings on to his left.The next week against Essendon a very similar thing happens except this time he is cat like an gone before his feet have barely scorched the grass.

We all know he had a few quite games but some of the stuff he did was outstanding an I think for memory in one of the later games the commentators said he had kicked about 14 goals 20 which is a good amount of shots on goal.

Just had a quick squiz at Richies stats

Goals 14/19
Average possies 13 per game an in the 2nd half of the year only had the one real quiet game against the Swans with 6 touches.
Had a season high 23 against the Cats
Averaged 5 marks a game an a season high of 11 an another 10 mark game.
had 2 tackles per game with a high of 6
Received 20 free kicks an only gave away 8

I think Garry Lyon said that he just needs to find the confidence to run and take on opponents like Raines and Lids do, and then he will be a great player. Also noticed this year he ran down a few opponents, which is great to see, and hopefully he can become our Aaron Davey.

He's still got another two seasons of learning to do yet, just looking for steady improvement as he matures.

After watching him at the Lions preseason game 2 years ago when he was just sensational, he hasn't seemed to come on. He seems tentative to run as fast as possible. Like he is always worried about his hamstrings. Good hands though. Would like him to come on as we could have had Franklin.

Bennnny said:
After watching him at the Lions preseason game 2 years ago when he was just sensational, he hasn't seemed to come on. He seems tentative to run as fast as possible. Like he is always worried about his hamstrings. Good hands though. Would like him to come on as we could have had Franklin.

Oh god...... :help

IMO is shaping as a bit-parts player like Wells, i.e. crowd favourite who does some nice things but not enough overall. Too early to say for sure though.

Must make more of his opportunities - at 50% accuracy he is the most wayward shot for goal on our list.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
IMO is shaping as a bit-parts player like Wells, i.e. crowd favourite who does some nice things but not enough overall. Too early to say for sure though.

Acording to some on here not getting Wells is a hanging offence by Miller ::)

Completely forgetting the fact he is soft as butter and nothing more than a downhill skier.

Tambling has completed one season essentially so far with all the injuries he had in 2005. The improvement he made this year was sensational compared to where he was at in August '05.

Yep far too early yet to say how good Tambling will be. Some nice flashes in 2006. All depends on his ability to learn how to find the footy. From watching stats it can take a few years for players to really start to impact and find the footy. Wocjinski from Geelong is a good example. For three years he couldn't even find a jar of vegemite then suddenly really nice possession stats (then boom, knee injury :()

I think Tambling is definitely on the way. I still like needling a Collingwood friend by reminding him of the mark he took against the Pies this year. I have the feeling that Bling will rip games apart in the future and I don't think that future is too far off.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Must make more of his opportunities - at 50% accuracy he is the most wayward shot for goal on our list.

Have stats on distance and angles and more detail about the situations? Don't think its worth much judging a person's accuracy at goal based on essentially 1 season. Way to early to judge Tambling as a bit-parts player. Have seem some great things and more importantly the right types of things from Tambling to feel he will be a very very good player.

CarnTheTiges said:
I still like needling a Collingwood friend by reminding him of the mark he took against the Pies this year.

Let's see that again. Love BT's call on this one..

http://www.puntroadend.com/movies/tambling_r13_2006.mpg

It's going to happen I tell you, the dream said so... :happy ;)

GoodOne said:
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Have stats on distance and angles and more detail about the situations?  Don't think its worth much judging a person's accuracy at goal based on essentially 1 season.  Way to early to judge Tambling as a bit-parts player.  Have seem some great things and more importantly the right types of things from  Tambling to feel he will be a very very good player.

No, but 46 shots at goal is a large enough sample on which to base an opinion. Anything from 40m strains his capabilities.

I question his potential to have an impact further up the ground without a physical presence, and he seems to play great quarters rather than great games. Yes he's done some good things, and he's about where David Rodan was at the same stage.

Am not putting sh!t on him at all, Wells is a decent player and I'd be content if Tambling turned out similar. I am commenting from the perspective of Tambling becoming an elite player, which you always hope for with a #4 pick and which Wells (#2) is not. As you say, it's early days.

Wells has had just as much injury problems as Tambling, probably more and is only one year older than Tambling. Not many 21 year olds with consistent injury problems are elite.

checkside said:
Wells has had just as much injury problems as Tambling, probably more and is only one year older than Tambling. Not many 21 year olds with consistent injury problems are elite.

Not many consistently-injured players play 80 of the last 81 games either :p; fair point about his age (22 in March) and probably has another year to establish himself in the top bracket.

Why the hell are we pulling apart young kids that have barely started to find their feet at AFL level.
Just about all players need three to four years to gain the physical hardening and gameday experience to be much more than a bits and pieces player and really take the game on.