Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Lay off Tambling!!

Tigers of Old said:
Roughhead may still turn out to be the best option so I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet Leysey.
Lids has got a power of work to yet. Very early days.
Roughhead looked damn good at times on the weekend. Then again, so did Lids.

Phantom said:
Leysy Days said:
Poor Ol Phantom was trying to convince us all it was best to take Roughhead at 1.

With hindsight drafting is a very easy science

If you remember correctly, I couldn't make up my mind.
Deledio/Griffen & Tambling were the best midfielders.
Roughead & Franklin were the best talls, with my preference of talls toward Roughead.

I couldn't decide whether to take the tall first or the midfielder first.
In my mind the decision was:
Take Roughead at 1, and get Tambling at 4, or,
take Deledio at 1, and get Franklin at 4.
I still haven't made up my mind what might have been the best long-term choice.

So that's where I stood, it's where I still stand.

It is better than you Leysy, who just didn't know at all and just followed the crowd.

As good as Roughead looks, and he looks very good, Deledio will be the standout player from that draft IMO. He already oozes class and looks to me to be the type of player that you build a side around. It has been a very, very long time since we have had a player of this quality. Whether or not we should've taken Franklin instead of Tambling, well, most phantom drafts has Tambling going at 2 so you can't argue with taking him at 4. I just hope he reaches his potential.

I haven't had a lot of time to look at PRE in recent weeks, and when I log on one of the 1st things I read is that people have been having a dig at Tambling?

How can anyone question a kid who has been with us for 12 months, had a few injuries, but looks like a real player of the future?

Unbelieveable.

Yes, I recall the advice of my old friend & cricket captain Chopper Kane.

I remember us walking down the pathway back from the "G" towards the PRG after the last game of the 1997 season, could have been the GF.

We were avidly discussing who the Tigers should take in the draft, Ottens or Travis Johnstone. I was very impressed with Johnstone, but I'd also heard that he did have discipline problems.

Chopper said, "Mick, when in doubt always go for the big man."

So in hindsight, who would we have got better value out of:

Ottens v Johnstone? Remember it took a long time for Johnstone to come good.

Pavlich v Fiora?

And at these early stages,

Roughead v Deledio? I'm sure that if Hawthorn had pick 1, they'd've taken Deledio too.

Deledio is extremely good, but he does have a few kinks that need to be ironed out.
One of these I'm not so sure if you can.
When Deledio takes a mark, he stops.
He continually takes too long to make that decision and loses his first option.
His thinking time also allows the opposition to run back and flood.

Thinking time is something that is very hard to alter.
It's mental and reliant on active memory. (Very hard to load bigger RAM into a human brain.) Mental exercise would be appropriate.
But it is still a big hurdle that Deledio has to get over, if he wants to get up to that James Hird/Chris Judd level.
I'm sure Terry is well aware of this.

Have a look again at the replay of Saturday's game. You'll see him do it repeatedly.

What happened to everyone?

Have you all gone scurrying for your replays of Saturday's game?

Or have you all gone looking to see if he was doing the same thing last season?

blx said:
and its the same scratched records still being played  ::)

And it will still keep coming up every draft time.

Could come up again in the 2006 draft.

Phantom said:

Deledio is extremely good, but he does have a few kinks that need to be ironed out.

Thinking time is something that is very hard to alter.
It's mental and reliant on active memory. (Very hard to load bigger RAM into a human brain.) Mental exercise would be appropriate.
But it is still a big hurdle that Deledio has to get over, if he wants to get up to that James Hird/Chris Judd level.
I'm sure Terry is well aware of this.

Have a look again at the replay of Saturday's game. You'll see him do it repeatedly.

I don't think this is true at all Phantom. Saturday you had the Hawks flooding in numbers and we never had anyone really presenting , no demanding that the ball be kicked to them. He was holding on to it to get the right option.

Sometimes he does do the Nathan Buckley and try to drill every ball into someones chest rather then just putting the ball into space and letting them run on to it, but besides that I see no major flaw is his game.

Interesting observation Phantom

Do you think it could be because he is still very inexperienced at this level, and he's decision time will speed up and become more natural for him as he gains experience?

Jack said:

Interesting observation.

Do you think it could be because he is still very inexperienced at this level, and he's decision time will speed up and become more natural for him as he gains experience?

Doesn't seem to affect him as much when he's playing on.

Maybe its just a kink that he's picked up through habit.
Ifso, it can be worked on.

Sure, experience makes decision making easier. But it's not so much the decision itself, it's the processing time that I'm concerned about.

Phantom said:
Leysy Days said:
Poor Ol Phantom was trying to convince us all it was best to take Roughhead at 1.

With hindsight drafting is a very easy science

If you remember correctly, I couldn't make up my mind.
Deledio/Griffen & Tambling were the best midfielders.
Roughead & Franklin were the best talls, with my preference of talls toward Roughead.

I couldn't decide whether to take the tall first or the midfielder first.
In my mind the decision was:
Take Roughead at 1, and get Tambling at 4, or,
take Deledio at 1, and get Franklin at 4.
I still haven't made up my mind what might have been the best long-term choice.

So that's where I stood, it's where I still stand.

It is better than you Leysy, who just didn't know at all and just followed the crowd.

Firstly phantom dont be so defensive son, I was only pointing out how we are all so clever in hindsight but not so beforehand.....ie all the naysayers now coming up with how we should have drafted Franklin ahead of Tambing (which is still far too early to tell BTW)

to illustrate my point that the draft is such an inexact science I stated the fact one of PRE's self professed junior gurus was keen on the following b4 the draft -

Phantom wrote -
So:
Pick no.1 - Roughead
Pick no.4 - Deledio/Griffen/Tambling
Pick no.12 - Lewis/Wood/Meesen/Grundy
Pick no.16 - Wood/Meesen/Grundy/Willets/Bate
At this stage we should have at least, one kpp, one midfielder, and one ruckman.
Pick no.20 - JDSmith/McMahon/Corrie/Eckermann/Bate/Grundy/Kirkby/Barling/SHill/Dunn/Delmenico
Pick no.36 - Barling/SHill/Dunn/EShaw/WMills/Delmenico
This will give us either an extra inside midfielder & kpp, or 2 extra kpps.
Pick no.52 - SMeyer/EShaw/WMills/IMcLean/Toovey
Pick no.68 - SMeyer/EShaw/WMills/IMcLean/Toovey/MMurphy/Foss

& then for you to come up with some snide little remark that Leysy has no balls & follows the crowd, unlike yourself Leysy doesnt follow the juniors & only garnishes his knowledge from the learned PRE crew.

However if you were to venture onto the Horse Racing thread or maybe the AFL Punting thread you'll see Leysys opinion & predictions splattered everywhere....however unlike some on here you'll also see him havin the balls to admit when his tips & suggestions are duds as well ;)

Hey, that wasn't bad.

Obviously I made a choice somewhere.

So, if I look at how my tips would have gone, depending on player ability, we might have ended up with:
Roughead, Tambling, Wood, Willets, JDSmith, Mills & Toovey.

Compare that with:
Deledio, Tambling, DMeyer, Pattison, McGuane, Limbach & Graham

That's not a bad choice. (Actually, hindsight tells me that it was a damned good choice.)

Amazing actually, I spotted Wayde Mills out of the 2004 draft pool. Forgot about that. Most people didn't spot him until the 2005 carnival.

I'm pretty proud of those selections.

Hey Frank/Greg, in hindsight do you think you could have done better?

At least Deledio wasn't playing on at EVERY opportunity and running into opposition players getting caught for holding the ball, Phantom.

I seem to remeber a lot of talk about Danny Meyer - lots (well some ) of punters saying it was a possible that Danny would be the pick of the 2004 draft. Are the same people still confident 12 months on?

People will lay off Tambling when he produces. Just at the moment it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

At the time of the draft the vibe on Tambling was that he was ready to step up immediately, after having been playing against men in the Northern Territory. It was accepted that Deledio and Tambling would have more immediate effect then the talls in the draft, and whilst Deledio has produced, Tambling has shown nothing.

The contrast between Franklin and Tambling couldn't be more stark, it is akin to comparing blood and water. Franklin on the one hand produced 20 goals as a developing tall in his first season, now rumoured to now be 199cm and 95kg, together with the most uncanny athletic ability and a highlights reel from season 2005 that would rival any first year recruit. Although Franklin was well beaten on the weekend playing a role that just didn't suit. He still stood up when it mattered by showing great poise in getting away from Hall and delivering a pass to Williams to win the game.

Over the last two years there were two players I wanted Hawthorn not to touch - one was Tambling and the other JON. For much the same reason, as I didn't want the club to waste high draft picks on sporadically producing light bodied ball receivers. These players are a dime a dozen and can be picked up in any draft and  usually after the second round, yet curiously they have always been the type of player that Wallet has rated. They are the sort of players that are the icing on the cake but can rarely take you to the point of being a serious finals contender. Hawthorn has Harry Miller, a late second round pick, who has already shown more then Tambling as he did once again on the weekend.

In time Richmond supporters will come to view how poorly they played the 2005/06 drafts and that the premature celebrating of their coup post 2005 draft (complete with put-downs of Hawthorn's drafting) will become an issue of considerable angst, embarassment and bitterness.  

RROFO said:
Vandenbergfan said:
People will ... tripe ... bitterness. 

Bugger off back to Big Footy will you. You're boring there don't come boring everyone here.

hey i don't think he/she was being nasty , some of it sounds like what phantom was saying about your needs and our needs being different plus that franklin roughhead v tambling delindio are too different sets of people and you can not really compare even thou plenty try whether hawk supporters or tiger supporters