Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Lay off Tambling!!

LOL @ Claw.Nice ummmmmmmm errrrrrrrrrr change of attitude in regards to Hughes after on game.Pity no one in the yellow and black cant be so lucky[even before he,s stepped out on the park[JON].
Do you really think Hughes has changed his attitude after one game?

Hayfever said:
AZZ said:
I agree with Phantom.  The lad needs to get confidence and possessions at Coburg.  Not sure about the whole season but he needs to string together a number of 30+ possession games.  He seems to lack the one touch surety and silky skills I'm sure he would have had in the NT.  Foley had to accumulate a numberr of 40+ games before he earnt promotion last year - why is Tambling any different?  
Because he is different.

Comparing Foley with Tambling is like comparing Knobel with Richo. Different strokes for different folks.

No, he's not different.  

He has two arms, two legs just like everyone else and he has done very little to earn an automatic game.  Either he takes the game by the scruff when he plays seniors or he must go back and earn a spot in the side just like every other player.  Richo has been dropped, Bowden too .. reputation and ability and potential count for nothing - results are the only thing that counts.  

It may very well come to pass that Bling becomes a Ferarri whilst Foley becomes a Holden Ute. On the other hand it may not.  Until then, they both start from the same postition on the grid.  When he regularly racks up possessions and builds to the level he is undoubtebly capable of, he can expect a regular game in the seniors.

If it was up to claw you would need 44 uninjured players constantly on your list.

1. Pick the team
2. play the game
3. Drop the lot replace with the 22 that didn't play that week. (immaterial if you won at step 2, they're all duds.)
4. Repeat until seasons end.

5. End of season.
6. Delist everyone (including the baby and the bath water).
7. Recruit 44 new 18 year old players.
8. Repeat from step 1.

TT33 said:
Back in the dim dark ages I went to "VFL Park" to watch the VIC'S play WA in an interstate match. Brian Peake came over here with WA with the reputation as "The Best Wingman in Australia". A scrawny weedy fella who played for the Demons proceeded to show Peake just what footy was all about. That blokes name is Robbie Flower. He played an absolutely fantastic game that day. One of the best exhibitions of footy I have seen.
Did anyone else on this site have the priviledge to enjoy that game.

Remember the game vaguely TT33...Gee, didn't Flower have beautiful balance & poise !

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
LOL @ Claw.Nice ummmmmmmm errrrrrrrrrr change of attitude in regards to Hughes after on game.Pity no one in the yellow and black cant be so lucky[even before he,s stepped out on the park[JON].

I thought he was talking about Franklin and Clark?

jayfox said:
CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:

I thought he was talking about Franklin and Clark?
Jon,s and hurn,s for that matter was also mentioned ;D

my 2 bobs worth on Tambling....

Cut him a bit of slack.....To me he seems like a Mercedes MLK.....(Kompressor for the unknowns)
Tryin to perform at his best on aussie roads....when he,s been bred to do top speed on the autobahns........*smile* off all the science,advice.....he,s indigenous after all.....theyre the masters at playing INSTINCTIVE FOOTY.....
Give him his head and the time to develop that....and he,ll repay us in a multitude of spades.......
BRING IT ON RICHARD........ ;D

Not being too critical but what are Tambling's hard ball get stats

billyb#40 said:
Not being too critical but what are Tambling's hard ball get stats

WTF? like Tambling was brought to the club to be the next Brett Ratten or Michael Voss? No, better to compare him to an outside midfielder or goalsneak.

Tell me, BillyBob, how many hard ball gets did Kevin bartlett get? Was he a crap player because the HBG's were low? Mmm.

'Stu
:afro

Macca68 said:
So lay off him guys he's still only 19 for gods sake. Some people in here are so quick to hit the panic button and stick the knife in.

interesting thing about the darkside element is that after a loss; they go feral and feverish. Why? i thought losing met their expectations and therefore should not draw a backlash.

AZZ said:
Hayfever said:
AZZ said:
I agree with Phantom.  The lad needs to get confidence and possessions at Coburg.  Not sure about the whole season but he needs to string together a number of 30+ possession games.  He seems to lack the one touch surety and silky skills I'm sure he would have had in the NT.  Foley had to accumulate a numberr of 40+ games before he earnt promotion last year - why is Tambling any different?  
Because he is different.

Comparing Foley with Tambling is like comparing Knobel with Richo. Different strokes for different folks.

No, he's not different.  

He has two arms, two legs just like everyone else and he has done very little to earn an automatic game.  Either he takes the game by the scruff when he plays seniors or he must go back and earn a spot in the side just like every other player.  Richo has been dropped, Bowden too .. reputation and ability and potential count for nothing - results are the only thing that counts.
Well based on their performances last Saturday Tambling should hold his spot in the 1's and both Richo and Bowden sent back to Coburg :(

Tambling bashing is a joke. His first year was fine. He will be better this year and even better next year.

Hopefully he will have less injury problems.

He is one of the three truly skillful players at the club (Lids and Browny being the others) and that will become obvious this year.

the claw said:
Richmond United said:
the claw said:
as i believe tambling should not have been taken with pick 4 when franklin was still available this is not hindsight i would never have taken tambling and due to list needs the club should never have taken him either.in fact when it comes to drafting talls or solid onballers the club has failed miserably in recent times. tall players we should of had on our list and a lot of people pushed for them are clarke wood franklin  bradley and gibson,

Absolute garbage! Go away mr "wouldn't touch franklin with a barge pole"....your words not mine! With hindsight we can all be kings! 
no no get it right i said i wouldnt touch clarke with a barge pole and yes i have learnt a lesson about overlooking players with percieved poor attitudes when they show every other attribute needed to succeed. with hindsight clarke should of been taken in front of jon so should of hurn who i pushed for.

Ooops my mistake....you actually said the you wouldn't touch Franklin with a "bean pole"!  Those interested may refer to page 2 of the following thread:

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10151.15

As i said.....the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.  No one on this planet is infallible...not even you claw!

Just felt I had to say that, regardless of how I believe Tambling should be developed as a junior, I still believe that Richard has the talent to be a topline AFL footballer.

I may believe that overworking his frail frame may have damaged his first season. But the results of 1 or 2 of those senior games left me in no doubt as to that talent and what might develop.

His current frame of 179/78 is a damned sight better than the 180/68 when he played in the U18 NT side. (Amazing the effect of a haircut!)

How that talent turns itself into performance, and the output that the RFC get out of him, in my mind, will depend on the means by which they develop him.

Tambling has the talent, the onus of career performance and output is on the RFC.

Phantom said:
Just felt I had to say that, regardless of how I believe Tambling should be developed as a junior, I still believe that Richard has the talent to be a topline AFL footballer.

I may believe that overworking his frail frame may have damaged his first season. But the results of 1 or 2 of those senior games left me in no doubt as to that talent and what might develop.

His current frame of 179/78 is a damned sight better than the 180/68 when he played in the U18 NT side. (Amazing the effect of a haircut!)

How that talent turns itself into performance, and the output that the RFC get out of him, in my mind, will depend on the means by which they develop him.

Tambling has the talent, the onus of career performance and output is on the RFC.

No question that Tambling has the talent to be an elite quality AFL footballer, but, then, so does Brad Ottens.

jayfox said:
Phantom said:

No question that Tambling has the talent to be an elite quality AFL footballer, but, then, so does Brad Ottens.

Difference is Ottens didn't attract this negative feedback because he looked the goods to begin with. Tambo has had an unfortunate start (through no fault of his own) so he is getting this bad press. Look what happened to Ottens, Lazy heartless :donut3. Sure didn't pick that in his first year, though he did sound like a cretin when he opened his mouth. Tambo on the other hand seems to be a nice, enthusiastic young boy, who says all the right things and appears to want to make a go of it. He has a lot on his plate at the moment both on and off the field. My bet? Give him time he'll be right. Could become another KB type player he certainly has the pace just need a little bit more experience. Ohhhh wouldn't that be nice. ;D

jayfox said:

Well there's no doubt that the coaching department overworked Brad Ottens.

From the instant that Ottens was drafted he was immediately made a senior player, 1998 at 18yo, until injury knocked him out for effectively the rest of the season.
The following year, 1999 at 19yo, he worked in tandem with Richo as our key forward target.

By 2003, he was both our 1st ruckman & our CHF, at the same time. No wonder his performance declined.
Ottens was nothing more or less than a Frawley & RFC victim.
As said before, talent is one thing, how you manage that talent into performance is another.

Richmond United said:
the claw said:
Richmond United said:
the claw said:
as i believe tambling should not have been taken with pick 4 when franklin was still available this is not hindsight i would never have taken tambling and due to list needs the club should never have taken him either.in fact when it comes to drafting talls or solid onballers the club has failed miserably in recent times. tall players we should of had on our list and a lot of people pushed for them are clarke wood franklin  bradley and gibson,

Absolute garbage! Go away mr "wouldn't touch franklin with a barge pole"....your words not mine! With hindsight we can all be kings! 
no no get it right i said i wouldnt touch clarke with a barge pole and yes i have learnt a lesson about overlooking players with percieved poor attitudes when they show every other attribute needed to succeed. with hindsight clarke should of been taken in front of jon so should of hurn who i pushed for.

Ooops my mistake....you actually said the you wouldn't touch Franklin with a "bean pole"!  Those interested may refer to page 2 of the following thread:

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10151.15

As i said.....the benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.  No one on this planet is infallible...not even you claw!

Good work R Utd,

Claw quotes " I wouldnt touch Franklin with a bean pole"

anyways it is interesting to look back on threads such as that & see what everyones opinions were pre draft.

Poor Ol Phantom was trying to convince us all it was best to take Roughhead at 1.

With hindsight drafting is a very easy science

Leysy Days said:
Poor Ol Phantom was trying to convince us all it was best to take Roughhead at 1.

With hindsight drafting is a very easy science

If you remember correctly, I couldn't make up my mind.
Deledio/Griffen & Tambling were the best midfielders.
Roughead & Franklin were the best talls, with my preference of talls toward Roughead.

I couldn't decide whether to take the tall first or the midfielder first.
In my mind the decision was:
Take Roughead at 1, and get Tambling at 4, or,
take Deledio at 1, and get Franklin at 4.
I still haven't made up my mind what might have been the best long-term choice.

So that's where I stood, it's where I still stand.

It is better than you Leysy, who just didn't know at all and just followed the crowd.

Roughhead may still turn out to be the best option so I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet Leysey.
Lids has got a power of work to yet. Very early days.