Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling - FIRE UP!

Harry said:
He ball watches, and when he gets the ball he doesn't know what to do with it. He doesn't chase and doesn't put his body on the line.

Absolute poetry in motion, totally agree.

He's alright when he gets space and time to think, but that's a rarity in footy nowadays.

And yes, that body useage of his both receiving (i.e. taking a knock to keep team posession etc.) and dispensing (i.e. tackling) is his weak point.

I wouldnt mind Wallace just throwing him onto the ball for the majority over the remainder of the season. See if it doesnt just help him grow a bit more with that rather than moving him from wing to hff to fp and the odd stint on the ball. King and a couple of others have been thrown into genuine responsibilities and come through ok. Maybe its time to just chuck him into it and see what comes of it. He always played his best junior footy by playing on the ball or in the centre.

Redford said:
I wouldnt mind Wallace just throwing him onto the ball for the majority over the remainder of the season. See if it doesnt just help him grow a bit more with that rather than moving him from wing to hff to fp and the odd stint on the ball. King and a couple of others have been thrown into genuine responsibilities and come through ok. Maybe its time to just chuck him into it and see what comes of it. He always played his best junior footy by playing on the ball or in the centre.

That is exactly the point. He is still playing like he is an outstanding junior. He still has to figure out that pure ability takes you so far, the rest is hard work.

The hardest lesson for an outstanding youngster is any field, whether it is sport or any other pursuit, is working out that everyone else at the top level was once an outstanding youngster also. Richie still thinks he is playing against trucks that he can run around at half pace.

He'll figure it out. A few whacks in the centre square will hasten it on.

Wallace thought we could not afford to have Rodan, Krakour and Tambling in the same side. He was wrong, all three should be elsewhere.

Just hope the Blingsta doesn't go missing on Sunday, just like he was no where to be found at last night's Cocktail Pissup.

But didn't the penny drop for Bling during pre-season ? The light switched on and he finally realised what he needed to do to make the grade ?

Tigers of Old said:
Certainly seems it'll be that way...at least from some.

How many years TOO should he be in the system before he starts showing a defensive side to his game. Happy to give him more time, his contested marking and goalkicking have earnt him that right, but how much is appropriate?

Brettstigers said:
Tigers of Old said:

How many years TOO should he be in the system before he starts showing a defensive side to his game. Happy to give him more time, his contested marking and goalkicking have earnt him that right, but how much is appropriate?

What do you mean by defensive side exactly? :headscratch
As I see it currently he's probably got a better game defensively than Deledio.

Tambling biggest issue to me is that he drifts in and out of the play and doesn't hit every contest with 100% commitment.

He's got plenty of work ahead of him to improve his game but once he's bulked up more and he and our team matures, I'd hope Tambling is playing his best footy consistently in 2009.

Tigers of Old said:
Brettstigers said:
Tigers of Old said:

Tambling biggest issue to me is that he drifts in and out of the contest and doesn't hit every contest with 100% commitment.

Spot on ToO. I don't understand the defensive side either. He is 8th on Richmond's list for average tackles, which is usually a fair indication of defensive pressure. I agree its consistency at the moment that is his big issue (expected of a youngster) and he probably needs more work on his peripheral vision. Reminds me alot of Rodan in his early days, getting the ball and rushing forward without summing up the situation first. That will come with experience.

GoodOne said:
Tigers of Old said:
Brettstigers said:
Tigers of Old said:

Tambling biggest issue to me is that he drifts in and out of the contest and doesn't hit every contest with 100% commitment.

Spot on ToO. I don't understand the defensive side either. He is 8th on Richmond's list for average tackles, which is usually a fair indication of defensive pressure. I agree its consistency at the moment that is his big issue (expected of a youngster) and he probably needs more work on his peripheral vision. Reminds me alot of Rodan in his early days, getting the ball and rushing forward without summing up the situation first. That will come with experience.

hopefully while he still play for us

TIGEREXTRA said:
Some may say its unfair to compare but it's definately the Tambling V Franklin show on sunday.
Cant wait to see it.

Unfair to compare is an understatement.

Totally different players, who play in totally different positions, for totally different teams, in totally different positions on the ladder, with totally different motivations to win this weekend.

If Bling kicks 2 goals....does that mean Franklin has to kick 3 to be adjudicated the 'winner', and the anti-Blin thread goes for another 1,234 pages?
If Bling gathers 20 possies and Franklin 15....is Bling the winner?

It's ridiculous.

We never compared Fiora and Pavlich.....or Pettifer and Kerr...so I don't understand why we are putting pressure on our own player to outdo a certain other individual player.

I don't care whether Bling has 5 possies....and Franklin kicks 5 goals.....as long as THE TIGERS win.
That is all that counts this weekend....not the Bling.v.Buddy show...who is the best showdown.

TIGEREXTRA said:
Some may say its unfair to compare but it's definately the Tambling V Franklin show on sunday.

Cant wait to see it.
Franklin's already won

It's funny how you don't really see any Griffen v Franklin threads around. I mean it's not as if they couldn't have used a player like Franklin either. But I suppose they're not languishing on the bottom of the ladder with 1.5 wins for the year.

For anyone that is confused, this thread is not for the purpose to compare Tambling to Franklin, or comparing the Blingsta with anyone on this planet. It's about the Bling himself and his AFL journey.

I just hope after Sunday's game no comparisons are made on this thread - start a new thread if people want to get their rock's off.