Tambling (merged) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tambling (merged)

Re: Tambling - FIRE UP!

I suppose I can see why people are a bit worried about Lids's ability to shake a tag,Ling an Sherman certainaly did the job on him but in the other 11 games the worst amount of possies he has had is 17.

Its not like he plays on ball every week an when he is on half back he is constantly dragged to the goal square by his opponent such is the respect he has from oposition coaches.

Very surprised to here people are dissapointed in Lids an too say Roughead would have been a better choice is laughable,its not like Lids dosent hurt the opposition with his run an carry an his abilty to make things happen is probally only 2nd to Browny at our club.

Once Collins,Connors,Edwards become regular senior midfielders Lids may well become just about the most dangerous weapon in the leaugue an by then he will be probally an old 22 ::)

craig said:
What has been of most interest for me is that the release of those offered new contracts from memory, Hughes, Bling, Cass, McGuane, and Patto i think but no mention of guys such as Meyer especially as well as , Krak, White, Moore, Jacko, P Bowden, Hall, Kingsley, Hyde and Tivs.

Obvious that the delistings will come from this group.
With regard to the ones highlighted - rightly so!

Tigers of Old said:
Why all the heat on Tambling is what I want to know.

Where's the 'Deledio can't shake a tag' thread?

Or the 'Where the hell is Danny Meyer?' thread.

Tambling is scrutinized more than most and it stinks IMO.

He's improving no doubt. This season has been far better than his previous two.

I agree Too. We need a thread on what a disappointment Schulz is turning out to be.

On Tambling, I still think the guy is stepping up, not as much as we want, but he is better than last year. I would like to see some more consistency from him, but I am willing to give the kid some more time.

On the issue of free speech, Australia is a democracy, PRE is Rosy's dictatorship (and I mean this in a good way) so we should accept her rules and play nice. I am tempted to yell "viva la revolution!" and try an overthrow, but it sounds like too much work.....and Im afraid of Rosy :nailbiting

I have confidence Richard Tambling will become a better player. Just how good, time will tell. At the minute, Tambling is struggling with the heavy traffic he often finds around him - The pressure of AFL football does that to alot of players. He likes to take players on. But whilst this is not a bad thing, he must acknowledge that most of his opponents are always going to be aware of this.

With players like Deledio, Edwards & Foley emerging as Richmond's next generation of midfielders, Tambling must provide extra running support. If he is only meant to be an "outsider", then he should concentrate on being that player. Too often than not, his positioning around the footy is defensive. He needs to get more forward of the ball. He looks best when he runs hard into open spaces, demanding the footy.

With this in mind, I'd be incline to play him on a wing. Set him the task of running up an down the park all day. Run his opponent into the ground, demand the footy all times, run hard into open spaces, give off the first option (instinctively) and learn to be more creative. These objectives should come from the coach. Stop emphasising "tempo" footy to a young Aboriginal kid that wants to reach the stars.

Without question, there are currenlty flaws in his game. Another pre season in the gym and lots of target kicking practice (both feet) and this so called "outside" player might be more damaging than we think.

Tambling - FIRE UP!

jb03 said:
I am deeply offended ToO.

;D
8)
You never fail to rib me about Jay whatever the thread but I was referring to Lids and Meyer because they were the surrounding selections in the '04 draft.
Your thoughts on Tambling are noticeably absent in this thread jim beam. What do you reckon?

Skills said:
I have confidence Richard Tambling will become a better player. Just how good, time will tell. At the minute, Tambling is struggling with the heavy traffic he often finds around him - The pressure of AFL football does that to alot of players. He likes to take players on. But whilst this is not a bad thing, he must acknowledge that most of his opponents are always going to be aware of this.

With players like Deledio, Edwards & Foley emerging as Richmond's next generation of midfielders, Tambling must provide extra running support. If he is only meant to be an "outsider", then he should concentrate on being that player. Too often than not, his positioning around the footy is defensive. He needs to get more forward of the ball. He looks best when he runs hard into open spaces, demanding the footy.

With this in mind, I'd be incline to play him on a wing. Set him the task of running up an down the park all day. Run his opponent into the ground, demand the footy all times, run hard into open spaces, give off the first option (instinctively) and learn to be more creative. These objectives should come from the coach. Stop emphasising "tempo" footy to a young Aboriginal kid that wants to reach the stars.

Without question, there are currenlty flaws in his game. Another pre season in the gym and lots of target kicking practice (both feet) and this so called "outside" player might be more damaging than we think.

Tambling - FIRE UP!

Great post. :clap

Tigers of Old said:
jb03 said:
I am deeply offended ToO.

;D
8)
You never fail to rib me about Jay whatever the thread but I was referring to Lids and Meyer because they were the surrounding selections in the '04 draft.
Your thoughts on Tambling are noticeably absent in this thread jim beam. What do you reckon?

Well you know it is all in good fun.

I don't think that I can add much to what has been said. He has some tremendous attributes but his attack on the ball is poor. There was a couple of glaring examples Saturday night where he had a touch of the Rodan's: going in late to tackle the opponent who has attacked the ball rather than attacking the ball directly with some sort of ferocity. He is awfully inconsistent even throughout a game. Showed some glimpses of class late in the game making you wonder where he had been all night.

Also a victim of being a high pick and of course Franklin going immediately after. If he had been a late pick would have been looked upon as a bonus. It is often those with the most potential that equally disappoint the most when they don't live it up to it. If Foley had an awful career from here on in I don't think anyone would be too critical of him.

Having said all that, we have far greater concerns already identified repeatedly on PRE - JON, Meyer, lack of KPP forwards, lack of skill etc etc.

Looking more likely to be a good player but not the great one we all thought he would be.

TIGEREXTRA said:
Skills said:

Tambling - FIRE UP!

Great post. :clap
yep

jb03 said:
Well you know it is all in good fun.

I don't think that I can add much to what has been said. He has some tremendous attributes but his attack on the ball is poor. There was a couple of glaring examples Saturday night where he had a touch of the Rodan's: going in late to tackle the opponent who has attacked the ball rather than attacking the ball directly with some sort of ferocity. He is awfully inconsistent even throughout a game. Showed some glimpses of class late in the game making you wonder where he had been all night.

Also a victim of being a high pick and of course Franklin going immediately after. If he had been a late pick would have been looked upon as a bonus. It is often those with the most potential that equally disappoint the most when they don't live it up to it. If Foley had an awful career from here on in I don't think anyone would be too critical of him.

Having said all that, we have far greater concerns already identified repeatedly on PRE - JON, Meyer, lack of KPP forwards, lack of skill etc etc.

Looking more likely to be a good player but not the great one we all thought he would be.

Pretty fair summation joel bowden.
Plenty of room for improvement in Tamblings game for sure but he's not traveling anywhere near as badly as Turbo Troll and a couple of others would suggest.

Skills said:
At the minute, Tambling is struggling with the heavy traffic he often finds around him - The pressure of AFL football does that to alot of players.

I think people also forget to take into account the level Tambling was coming from compared to other kids. The NT league would be no better than 5th or 6th best in the country. Aside from a handful of games against second tier state teams this is all he would have known about AFL before being drafted. The speed, skill level and physicality of the NT league would be a long way below that of the SANFL, WAFL, VFL and TAC Cup, let alone AFL. Combine this with the fact injuries robbed him of a pre season in 05 and I don't think it's hard to understand at all why he's not coming on as fast as some other high picks.

It's quite obvious when you look at the players that have come from the NT that they are not at all likely to show their best form early in their careers. Guys like the Burgoynes, Davey's, Clarke's and McLeod all have more than one thing in common.

I also think Tambling would have benefited from being given time in the VFL or even VFL reserves to make the adjustment more of a gradual one rather than the massive leap it would have obviously been for him.

With all that said, I also don't think he's been anywhere near as disappointing as some are making out. Despite it not being his natural position he's played the majority of this year as a crumbing forward with quite a bit of bench time also. With that in mind I don't think his performance has been that far behind other players playing a similar role and these are the ones he should be compared with right now. Just out of interest;

Disposals Marks TacklesGoals
Tambling13.54.63.01.1
Akermanis14.74.33.01.0
Medhurst10.75.01.61.4
McGrath7.62.71.61.8
Betts9.81.44.11.2
Davis11.9 2.53.91.6
Monfries13.84.82.20.7
Alwyn Davey12.03.53.91.2
Chapman21.8 5.04.40.9
Yablett25.13.83.21.3
Campbell7.61.03.60.8
Aaron Davey16.73.64.31.1
Ebert10.7 4.82.02.0
Milne13.65.51.91.4
Armstrong15.13.42.30.7
Lecras8.42.82.21.5

I'd say he ranks around 5th or 6th, despite being the 2nd youngest on the list and playing in a team with below average inside 50's and points for and very often terrible delivery.

Add in the fact that he's dominated a couple of quarters against good opposition and I honestly don't see how people can be writing him off.

Turbo Tiger said:
He consistently chooses the wrong option.

No, he doesn't. He occasionally chooses a bad option and he occasionally kicks the ball poorly, like every other player. If anything I think it's quite obvious that his delivery is one of his main positives and that includes picking the right option most of the time.

Harry said:
Good vision is the ability to see things that are not so obvious. The ability to spot a free teamate that's not necessarily leading straight in front of you. Great Vision is seeing things around you that not many others can see.

I remember a long pass he did against Collingwood (I think) where he put it over the heads of a few players and into the path of Krakouer who was running straight into goal which at the time seemed like a pretty incredible play. I can also remember a few nice handballs in close to players running past and some good delivery into crowded forward lines. He's also kicked a number of goals crumbing packs which is something which requires good vision and reading of the play. He may not be showing it regularly yet but I think saying he has no vision at all is way OTT.

Ah, D08, the voice of reason in all this calling for Tambling's head.

And excellent quoting skills, too, I must add. :clap

jb03 said:
Also a victim of being a high pick and of course Franklin going immediately after. If he had been a late pick would have been looked upon as a bonus.

Yes, but this is an error that will curse us for the next ten years. We consistently make the wrong recruiting moves. Maybe it is time the club acted and got new recruiting staff?

jb03 said:

It seems that many of these guys simply aren’t that good. Meyer runs fast and kicks helicopters, and it is hard to see what JON does well at all.

On the issue of KPP forwards, I don’t think Wallet agrees with them. He would rather invest in small forwards and one paced midfielders. What a genius, as evidenced by our dramatic slide down the ladder two years into rebuilding…

jb03 said:

Tambling only looks like he will be OK at this stage, and that is simply not good enough considering the position he was taken in the draft and the players that went after him. It kills us time and time again…

Turbo Tiger said:
Maybe it is time the club acted and got new recruiting staff?

Have you not noticed Miller being pushed out of the role lately and March saying they were looking for a new person to oversee the playing list and to spend more on recruiting? I thought all Richmond fans would be well aware of these things.

Turbo Tiger said:
It seems that many of these guys simply aren’t that good. Meyer runs fast and kicks helicopters, and it is hard to see what JON does well at all.

C’mon have you even seen these guys play? Myer’s disposal is okay, JON is the quick one with bad disposal.

Btw it’s cute the way you still say ‘we’ when referring to Richmond.

Turbo Tiger said:
He would rather invest in small forwards and one paced midfielders. What a genius, as evidenced by our dramatic slide down the ladder two years into rebuilding…

If by one paced you mean bloody quick
Lids, Bling, Meyer and JON are all quick

But prolly not as quick as your boyfriend flanklin

Sorry just can't help but feed the troll

buddy was very richo-esque the other night. you must be very excited turdbo